Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

1 hour ago, Ddiamondd said:

Having spoken to three festival reps in the past few days:

One – in Japan – is on the verge of cancellation.

One – which holds three events across central Europe in the summer – is unfazed at present.

One – which happens to be a direct link to Glastonbury – is saying business as usual for Worthy Farm.

The pattern is that, in Asia, it's just too risky to consider anything in Spring. Over here, there is minimal to non-existent fear about events three months away.

Breathe easy everyone!

Thanks for this lovely, it’s just the kind of news we need round here right now. 

Charm x

49 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I think in all due respect people need to calm down a bit, suggesting it’s going to be cancelled now when 40 people have the virus in the U.K. is jumping the gun. It will be fine, it’s months away!

Yes, 40 people have the virus in the U.K as we speak but I honestly don't think it's long before we have a major outbreak in the UK, look how fast cases are starting to increase across Europe, notably Spain, France, Germany and of course, Italy.

I could definitely schools & universities shutting down over the next couple of months, where linked to cases, same with certain businesses, and major events being cancelled such as large concerts (O2 arena etc).

I have a feeling the virus is going to get much much worse in the UK and I don't really think any of us are prepared for it, however Glastonbury is in June and if I would like to say I'm thinking rationally that even though I believe the virus will get a lot worse across Europe in the next couple of months, it should be contained by June (a whole four months away) and therefore believing Glastonbury will be cancelled at this point is very presumptuous.

If the virus is out of control still in may, then maybe the government will start to look at cancellation of summer festivals. The focus will be at the moment on whether any upcoming events are putting the members of the public at risk.

I'm not going to glastonbury this year however am thinking of a couple of summer festivals; I honestly believe the situation will be sorted out by then and that they should hopefully all be able to go ahead. However, I am nervous for the next couple of months where I think the situation could get a lot worse before it eventually starts to get better.

Edited by FestivalJamie

7 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Yes, 40 people have the virus in the U.K as we speak but I honestly don't think it's long before we have a major outbreak in the UK, look how fast cases are starting to increase across Europe, notably Spain, France, Germany and of course, Italy.

I could definitely schools & universities shutting down over the next couple of months, where linked to cases, same with certain businesses, and major events being cancelled such as large concerts (O2 arena etc).

I have a feeling the virus is going to get much much worse in the UK and I don't really think any of us are prepared for it, however Glastonbury is in June and if I would like to say I'm thinking rationally that even though I believe the virus will get a lot worse across Europe in the next couple of months, it should be contained by June (a whole four months away) and therefore believing Glastonbury will be cancelled at this point is very presumptuous.

If the virus is out of control still in may, then maybe the government will start to look at cancellation of summer festivals. The focus will be at the moment on whether any upcoming events are putting the members of the public at risk.

I'm not going to glastonbury this year however am thinking of a couple of summer festivals; I honestly believe the situation will be sorted out by then and that they should hopefully all be able to go ahead. However, I am nervous for the next couple of months where I think the situation could get a lot worse before it eventually starts to get better.

I get that it could spiral but my point is at the moment it’s 40 people and we’ve had a couple of here say it’s nailed on to be cancelled. Complete overreaction considering the current state of matters in this country.

Things will probably get worse here but I don’t think it’ll be as bad as some people think it will be. These things have a tendency to settle down, we are already seeing that through the figures in China. I also doubt the government have any clue what they’re doing either, BJ was happy enough to have his weekend before chairing his COBRA meeting after all. 

Blimey and I thought the weather thread was full of ups and downs but it’s got nothing on this - will it rain or shine, will it be cancelled or not! I think there is more chance that if it goes ahead then the line up may change depending on how things go by then. Artists may not travel or be able to. I would be more worried if I was in the US what with their high health care costs - people who get it without insurance cover there are basically screwed so more chance of it spreading amongst the poor or uninsured. Our NHS May struggle but at least people won’t be afraid to seek help if they do get sick. 
I am due to go to Frank Turner’s Lost Evenings festival in Berlin at end of May so will be an interesting wait to see what happens! 

9 minutes ago, Gilb said:

It could be worse.....

It could be London 1632, and we’d have plenty of other nasties to worry about! (Pity the poor mite that died from piles!!)

image.thumb.jpeg.d0f02d1db4ee9dcafae8762f695bbf07.jpeg

Lol. Planet? Is that getting hit by a meteorite or something? Or maybe when they believed the earth was flat and you could fall off the edge! 

Edited by jonnyisRFC

13 minutes ago, beefykoala said:

This worries me (America):

Festivals probably have contingency plans every year, and it's definitely better they're thinking about it, hopefully ensuring they can take all needed steps to have their festival take place. Depends how you spin it tbh

Edited by TownesMR

Just now, beefykoala said:

Yeah but no it doesn't. If one of those is Coachella, that's gonna send a serious message to other festivals over here. 

Completely, but Coachella is next month and Glastonbury is in 3 months. Its not great but nothing to start panicking 

Speaking about festivals in US. The first (big) one is this weekend in Florida. But if we consider something similar than Glasto in terms of international attendance Ultra Music Festival is 20th March and it's huge. 

IMG_20200302_221346.jpg

Edited by AlexOvd

1 minute ago, chazwwe said:

Completely, but Coachella is next month and Glastonbury is in 3 months. Its not great but nothing to start panicking 

I am panicking so hard. I tried for three years to get these tickets and we have to book flights still. Hoping this is a blessing in disguise and it just makes the flight prices cheaper... lol.

1 minute ago, beefykoala said:

I am panicking so hard. I tried for three years to get these tickets and we have to book flights still. Hoping this is a blessing in disguise and it just makes the flight prices cheaper... lol.

I completely get the worry I do, I love the festival as much as anyone on here and this line up is looking to be a monster of a weekend, but with how my health is my mind is way more on the 'oh I could just die if I get it' rather than if Glastonbury is not going to happen. 

Just now, squirrelarmy said:

Comic-Con in Seattle is also going ahead soon. 

There’s no group of people more hygienic than your average comic-con geek  

Thats the one that Americans should be worried about. C2E2 just happened last weekend too. 

1 minute ago, beefykoala said:

It's a silver lining you haven't book flights yet for sure. I bought a little while ago and am now potentially screwed with my purchase. Hopefully will be able to make a trip of it regardless. That is, IF it is cancelled, which it won't be. The hype train left the station way too long ago to be stopped, sorry Coronavirus.

27 minutes ago, Gilb said:

It could be worse.....

It could be London 1632, and we’d have plenty of other nasties to worry about! (Pity the poor mite that died from piles!!)

image.thumb.jpeg.d0f02d1db4ee9dcafae8762f695bbf07.jpeg

That reads like a Download line-up 🤣 

I bloody hope Fistula don't clash with The Affrighted.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8