Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

2 hours ago, whitehorses said:

Think the pig burning was when swine flu was on. But point well made...

I wish it was but the video was dated 26th feb. They seem to think culling the animals will help control it better. 

However they seem to miss trying to clean up the dead bodies in the streets. It's been a mess. 

2 hours ago, mcshed said:

Have you seen the live caged pigs subjected to a nuclear blast for testing purposes? The West is perfectly capable of this sort of cruelty.

That footage was being shown on The Gas Tower at about 2 am as part of some documentary about nuclear war. Serious bad vibes.

I saw it. Captivating and grim.  We invented and exported a lot of cruelty out of Europe.

Praise by DJ Yoda’s stranger things mixtape AV for lifting the mood.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2009/may/06/glastonbury-festival-swine-flu

Not sure if this has been posted already but with 77 pages on this topic already i wouldn't be surprised if it has, we've been through this panic a decade ago but thankfully i wasn't old enough to worry about how it would effect Glastonbury, now that i've got my ticket for my first year i'd be so disappointed if it was cancelled but would understand that it's for the greater good but seeing as it survived through Swine Flu i'm sure it can withstand Corona

2 minutes ago, March Hare said:

I saw it. Captivating and grim.  We invented and exported a lot of cruelty out of Europe.

Praise by DJ Yoda’s stranger things mixtape AV for lifting the mood.

Have watched the documentary since after being intrigued by it, I'm a big fan of Eric Scholsser's book on the subject Command and Control and he was involved in the film making but late night in Shangri-la was just way too much for me.

1 minute ago, mcshed said:

Have watched the documentary since after being intrigued by it, I'm a big fan of Eric Scholsser's book on the subject Command and Control and he was involved in the film making but late night in Shangri-la was just way too much for me.

Yours was the right call :) 

It is now much more likely than not to be cancelled, I'd think a miracle is probably needed. The best case scenario seems to be delay the spread of the infection and from what I've seen the definition of 'success' for this is shifting the peak number of cases out by +2 or +3 months. This would take us to beginning of May, June respectively but this would only be the point at which infections had peaked. It seems completely improbable that we would have eliminated the virus from our shores by June and as such can't see a scenario where such a mass gathering of people would be allowed to go ahead.

35 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

I wish it was but the video was dated 26th feb. They seem to think culling the animals will help control it better. 

However they seem to miss trying to clean up the dead bodies in the streets. It's been a mess. 

Different video then. I watched one a year ago or so. 

I'd say that Eurovision organiser's approach is going to be the most sensible option for all forthcoming large scale events:

Eurovision plans 'unaffected - for now'

The organisers of this year's Eurovision Song Contest say plans to host the event in Rotterdam in The Netherlands remain unchanged despite the outbreak.

"It is too early to comment on possible scenarios, which will depend on what happens in the coming months, and for now we are going ahead with our plans for the event in Rotterdam," a spokesperson for the European Broadcasting Union told Efe news agency.

The contest begins on 12 May.

1 minute ago, TownesMR said:

This is not necessarily true, the festival is still nearly 4 months away.

Err, see above. I think most people think this is going to be eradicated etc. It's not, we're now moving into delay and all this does is exactly what is says, delays it. If this is successful, which I think everyone wants it to be, this by it's very nature means infections will be very high or peaking at the time of Glastonbury. Also people need to understand that delay will not reduce the numbers of people being infected (possibly v high - we've all seen the reasonable worst case 70-80%) just spread it out over a longer period to allow our health systems to cope. 

Hopefully some actually statistics will help dampen the naysayers and fear mongers amongst us. Obviously it’s far too early to tell much yet, but the overall picture is pretty good news. 

I also heard an expert (not a government mouth peace) on 5 Live last week explain how it’s more than likely that this virus will just become another strain of seasonal flu we have to contend with, of which it is from the same family. 

E7888708-4585-43B9-8E58-9B0EA1C85307.png

761A3A8A-2306-48FD-BB3B-1D4B68EA79E9.png

06F0B4B0-9071-44DF-88B8-A886F3E60C93.png

ADEFC53B-F548-418D-886E-22652837B0D4.png

26 minutes ago, OnlyRevolutions said:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2009/may/06/glastonbury-festival-swine-flu

Not sure if this has been posted already but with 77 pages on this topic already i wouldn't be surprised if it has, we've been through this panic a decade ago but thankfully i wasn't old enough to worry about how it would effect Glastonbury, now that i've got my ticket for my first year i'd be so disappointed if it was cancelled but would understand that it's for the greater good but seeing as it survived through Swine Flu i'm sure it can withstand Corona

I was always relaxed about swine flu and never followed the news on it because I genuinely thought at the time you could only catch it directly from a pig😂

1 minute ago, Mr.Tease said:

I was always relaxed about swine flu and never followed the news on it because I genuinely thought at the time you could only catch it directly from a pig😂

the massive decrease in sales of Corona Beer makes me think that there's people out there who genuinely think you get Corona Virus directly from the bottle

31 minutes ago, Splatt said:

It is now much more likely than not to be cancelled, I'd think a miracle is probably needed. The best case scenario seems to be delay the spread of the infection and from what I've seen the definition of 'success' for this is shifting the peak number of cases out by +2 or +3 months. This would take us to beginning of May, June respectively but this would only be the point at which infections had peaked. It seems completely improbable that we would have eliminated the virus from our shores by June and as such can't see a scenario where such a mass gathering of people would be allowed to go ahead.

The optimist has arrived!

Blimey... tell us gently please. 

18 minutes ago, Splatt said:

Err, see above. I think most people think this is going to be eradicated etc. It's not, we're now moving into delay and all this does is exactly what is says, delays it. If this is successful, which I think everyone wants it to be, this by it's very nature means infections will be very high or peaking at the time of Glastonbury. Also people need to understand that delay will not reduce the numbers of people being infected (possibly v high - we've all seen the reasonable worst case 70-80%) just spread it out over a longer period to allow our health systems to cope. 

Theoretically speaking, if delay methods such as shutting down larger events work before June and the virus is still going, would events happen? Surely things won't be cancelled from now for the foreseeable future (until vaccine in 2021?)

As one or two others have said, the issue right now is one of timing. We're still in the 'containment' stage in early March. Moving to the next stage is a huge move and not one to be taken lightly. I imagine they'd get to it mid-late March, putting pressure on GFL to release a statement prior to ticket balance week. It's possible that they could extend the refund window by a month until early June.

Assuming that their statement will essentially be 'business as usual unless we're forced to do otherwise', it can only serve to benefit the resale crew. But closer to the event, it'll become apparent whether this is seriously impacting international acts. If it is, and the government is strongly encouraging (although not enforcing) mass public gatherings not to happen, I think that's the most likely point of cancellation.