Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It would be like the queen dying of coronavirus.

I reckon efestivals is probably full of people who aren’t that arsed about the monarchy or figures like the pope, but on a more local level - a lot of people would give a shit.

But other it being a huge news story in of itself do you see it having any other significant effects?

Edit: likewise if it killed the Queen.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

14 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

But other it being a huge news story in of itself do you see it having any other significant effects?

Edit: likewise if it killed the Queen.

Culturally yes. People right now are trying to limit panic. They are turning to the “leaders” of their communities for strength. I have a pretty strong republican branch of my family, I called them up the other day and they feel fine because trump has essentially called the whole thing a hoax.

If the typically “invincible” figures in society cave to this virus, panic will set in for a lot of people. I’m not sure if you’re a man of faith, but quite a lot of people are - in Italy it would surely enhance public panic beyond what it is now.

Edited by Matt42

34 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Unfortunately I don't agree. Based on the outbreaks as today there is no justification for cancelling either. Whilst corona is around this could change at any point, either before, or after, the dates on which these events are scheduled. 

I never said they were going to be cancelled.  It’s observing that at what level the virus has to be at in the UK/US for large scale events to be cancelled. Plus other countries, who had a similar amount of cases as the UK,  have already pulled large scale events.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Culturally yes. People right now are trying to limit panic. They are turning to the “leaders” of their communities for strength. I have a pretty strong republican branch of my family, I called them up the other day and they feel fine because trump has essentially called the whole thing a hoax.

If the typically “invincible” figures in society cave to this virus, panic will set in for a lot of people. I’m not sure if you’re a man of faith, but quite a lot of people are - in Italy it would surely enhance public panic beyond what it is now.

This is pretty much most of my families views. Government told us to be calm so there's no need to even think of it, my step dad even went to the point of 'well when they do start doing something, it'll be too late for all of us, so whats the point in worrying' 

Like, ridiculously levels of over the top care and not caring at the same time. 

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Because no one takes anything seriously anymore. People think they are invincible and it’s all scare mongering. 

The response to everything nowadays is to meme it to fuck to avoid facing reality. If anyone has actually delved it how horrible this virus has been to China they would change their tone. Of course if you are someone who tries to bring to light how bad it is in China you get called out for being over dramatic.

I don’t know what it would take to be honest. Brits could be dying in the street like they are in Wuhan and it would probably still be a meme. People are too privileged nowadays and they don’t care unless their immediate family are dying. 

From some of the comments I've read on articles about this, many people don't have the intelligence to realise if they catch it, they could give it to their families. Same with kids in school, they're like "well they aren't in the risk group". But it'll eventually get to their grandparents/aunties/uncles/younger family members with respiratory conditions.

This is why any kind of restrictions won't work - many people are selfish and stupid and don't think of consequences. 

And the most crazy part is that a lot of those screaming "media scaremongering" have been taken in completely by certain media stories over the past few months/years, and collectively made some ridiculous self-damaging decisions based on it. (Mainly MEN commenters) 

Edited by efcfanwirral

Re: the Pope. People from all over the globe make a pilgrimage to the Vatican when a Pope dies/ a new Pope is chosen. Italy will probably impose bans on pilgrims travelling from overseas, but the faithful are pretty hard to stop when they're full of, well, faith.

I don't think there'll be drastic world consequences however..

4 minutes ago, Bryanrebe said:

Re: the Pope. People from all over the globe make a pilgrimage to the Vatican when a Pope dies/ a new Pope is chosen. Italy will probably impose bans on pilgrims travelling from overseas, but the faithful are pretty hard to stop when they're full of, well, faith.

I don't think there'll be drastic world consequences however..

“Your virus is no match for my faith...”

25 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

From some of the comments I've read on articles about this, many people don't have the intelligence to realise if they catch it, they could give it to their families. Same with kids in school, they're like "well they aren't in the risk group". But it'll eventually get to their grandparents/aunties/uncles/younger family members with respiratory conditions.

This is why any kind of restrictions won't work - many people are selfish and stupid and don't think of consequences. 

Exactly what a couple of the new UK cases did after returning from Iran and being told to self-isolate.....they went out and did a big shop first 😔

28 minutes ago, Gilb said:

Exactly what a couple of the new UK cases did after returning from Iran and being told to self-isolate.....they went out and did a big shop first 😔

Has there been reports of the virus in Iran? I was looking at travelling there in a few weeks.

Worryingly, the “social distancing” aspect of the government’s battle plans is in the very next phase. Apparently they’re publishing their guidelines this week so that will be a must-read.

I suppose it could be the case that if the government bans events in the near future but by the time we get to late June it’s fine to go ahead, by that time the knock-on effect of earlier action scares some international acts into pulling out and the festival have to call on their own contingency measures. Coldplay it is. 

Good morning all.

Don’t post much, more of a reader than a writer.  Thought I’d share my personal experience of the outbreak.

I’m based in China, in one of the provinces worst hit by COVID outside of Hubei.  Being on lockdown ain’t much fun at all.  I’m lucky that I live alone because it means that I can at least leave the house every two days for supplies; friends who live with their families seem to be having a much harder time as only one designated family member is allowed to go out every two days. It’s really rather trying but the measures that have been put in place seem to be working. 

I work in a university. We were supposed to be starting the new semester three weeks ago but there’s still no sign of a starting date.   Considering how badly the situation was handled to begin with, things are moving pretty fast and we are hopeful that things will return to something like normality soon.  The problem was definitely made worse by the Chinese government’s refusal to admit there was a problem and the silencing of anyone who spoke out at the beginning.

That’s where you guys who aren’t in China have an advantage over us here, because you don’t have the hindrance of a government trying to hush the whole thing up.  I’m not one given to panic, but a healthy amount of paranoia might be a good thing in this case.  It is really easy to catch the virus, but also pretty easy to treat, according to reliable friends who work in the city’s hospitals.

I’m sure that you won’t face anything like the scale of infection or restrictions that we have been going through, hopefully you won’t get disappeared for speaking out either!

This forum has been a real tonic, reading and watching all the discussions and arguments has helped alleviate the boredom a lot. 

I’m really hoping my VPN is up to scratch or this may be the last anyone hears of me for a while!

That’s my tuppence worth anyway. 

Love from China [cough cough]

M

• Like 2
  • Upvote 33

3 minutes ago, Minilla said:

Good morning all.

Don’t post much, more of a reader than a writer.  Thought I’d share my personal experience of the outbreak.

I’m based in China, in one of the provinces worst hit by COVID outside of Hubei.  Being on lockdown ain’t much fun at all.  I’m lucky that I live alone because it means that I can at least leave the house every two days for supplies; friends who live with their families seem to be having a much harder time as only one designated family member is allowed to go out every two days. It’s really rather trying but the measures that have been put in place seem to be working. 

I work in a university. We were supposed to be starting the new semester three weeks ago but there’s still no sign of a starting date.   Considering how badly the situation was handled to begin with, things are moving pretty fast and we are hopeful that things will return to something like normality soon.  The problem was definitely made worse by the Chinese government’s refusal to admit there was a problem and the silencing of anyone who spoke out at the beginning.

That’s where you guys who aren’t in China have an advantage over us here, because you don’t have the hindrance of a government trying to hush the whole thing up.  I’m not one given to panic, but a healthy amount of paranoia might be a good thing in this case.  It is really easy to catch the virus, but also pretty easy to treat, according to reliable friends who work in the city’s hospitals.

I’m sure that you won’t face anything like the scale of infection or restrictions that we have been going through, hopefully you won’t get disappeared for speaking out either!

This forum has been a real tonic, reading and watching all the discussions and arguments has helped alleviate the boredom a lot. 

I’m really hoping my VPN is up to scratch or this may be the last anyone hears of me for a while!

M

This is the slam dunk post of this entire thread

20 minutes ago, Minilla said:

Good morning all.

M

Hope all goes well for you. Fantastic post from the front line!

This is for you :)

giphy.gif

Edited by Gilb

Thanks!! One of them things isn't it.  

40 odd days into lockdown... to be honest my biggest concern is the lack of imported cheese available.  Stocked up on Heinz beans  and falafel mix off of Taobao, so things are not too bad.