Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

2 minutes ago, March Hare said:

In a world where overreaction and pandering to populism is rife that may not be the case.  Every reaction isn't proportionate. 

Playing devils advocate, the Louvre was closed today.  Would you say that is proportionate or an overreaction?  That possible overreaction is worrying peeps.

Pandering to populism...... 

I’ve changed my view. I thought that suggesting Glasto could be cancelled was rubbish but I don’t really think you can say at this point. 

If the decision had to be made today, course it wouldn’t be cancelled, the thing is what’s going to happen, whether it will be contained and dealt with or whether it worsens. If the Louvre has been closed, Serie A looks set to be cancelled then I can see Glasto being cancelled if this worsens and the thing is that Glastonbury has been the thing I cannot wait for and the one thing that I love so much I spend hours upon hours on here discussing it. It’s hard to come to terms with it but this is bad. Like how has it spiralled this much in a short space of time. I swear it wasn’t anything like a month ago, it was only a meme on Facebook. 

I agree though if it’s cancelled it’s because it’s bad. And if it is that bad then we aren’t gonna care about a festival, but I would still be devastated that after getting tickets for the biggest festival and brilliant event, this could take it away from us. 

7 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

70 pages and I'm still not any clearer on whether or not Foals deserve to headline fully.

Speaking of, I was surprised it looked as though they were going to push ahead with their Asian tour. This was before an announcement surfaced this morning that they'd pulled their Japanese shows, however.

Just now, charlierc said:

Speaking of, I was surprised it looked as though they were going to push ahead with their Asian tour. This was before an announcement surfaced this morning that they'd pulled their Japanese shows, however.

Having to pull shows in Asia shows Foals aren't ready to headline, however the fact they had shows in Asia shows they are ready to headline IMO.

Upcoming events will give us a better idea what to expect in terms of potential cancellation.

Cheltenham Festival has 250,000ish in attendance over 4 days and it starts 10th March.

For music festivals, Coachella at the befinning of April would be a good gauge, particularly as California is seeing an outbreak of Corona at the moment. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TorontoScot said:

Upcoming events will give us a better idea what to expect in terms of potential cancellation.

Cheltenham Festival has 250,000ish in attendance over 4 days and it starts 10th March.

For music festivals, Coachella at the befinning of April would be a good gauge, particularly as California is seeing an outbreak of Corona at the moment. 

Good shout. Grand National is April too.

You seen pics of the pigs and chickens that are being killed... 

Now there talking about cancelling big events.... Not yet.. But they are discussing it... Love to have a bit of good news.. Also if you look at the map of the spread the whole of the Eastern Europe is blank.. No data.. Not good. 

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Anything up to end of March/beginning of April 30%

May around 15%

June 5% I reckon.

I’m thinking 13 days about into April be more like 31.5%

May be like 15.5%  if it’s above 15 degrees for 80% of the month

June I reckon 5% also but only if petrol price rises by 5p

16 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Like how has it spiralled this much in a short space of time. I swear it wasn’t anything like a month ago, it was only a meme

Because no one takes anything seriously anymore. People think they are invincible and it’s all scare mongering. 

The response to everything nowadays is to meme it to fuck to avoid facing reality. If anyone has actually delved it how horrible this virus has been to China they would change their tone. Of course if you are someone who tries to bring to light how bad it is in China you get called out for being over dramatic.

I don’t know what it would take to be honest. Brits could be dying in the street like they are in Wuhan and it would probably still be a meme. People are too privileged nowadays and they don’t care unless their immediate family are dying. 

• Upvote 3

If enough places ban concert venues for a time then artists will just cancel their tours and claim on their insurance. They won’t even be geared up for Glastonbury. 

It hasn’t taken much for artists to cancel Asian tours and it won’t be long before Europe outstrips Asia in case numbers.

They’ll be at home in their oxygen chambers waiting this horror show out.

Live music is going to take a pummelling from this unfortunately.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, TorontoScot said:

Unfortunately I don't agree. Based on the outbreaks as today there is no justification for cancelling either. Whilst corona is around this could change at any point, either before, or after, the dates on which these events are scheduled. 

10 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

If anyone has actually delved it how horrible this virus has been to China they would change their tone. Of course if you are someone who tries to bring to light how bad it is in China you get called out for being over dramatic.

I don’t know what it would take to be honest. Brits could be dying in the street like they are in Wuhan and it would probably still be a meme. People are too privileged nowadays and they don’t care unless their immediate family are dying. 

Unfortunately we’ve had a spike in numbers this weekend and, as you’ve said, it’s hard to point out the potential severity of it without being called out.  It is serious, China hasn’t shut down entire cities without good reason. Italy is in the same position with its northern towns.

I suspect it will be quite a while before this thread gets an answer in relation to the festival taking place.

• Upvote 1

We can talk forever about what will happen if it is cancelled, but for now, Glastonbury is still over 3 months away. That is plenty of time for things to change for the better. Things could also get worse, but lets all hope it doesn't. I don't think looking at events happening this week are too accurate for predicting what may happen to Glastonbury, as there is such a large gap in time between them.

Everything can change and I personally think there is a strong chance of Glastonbury going ahead.

But things are going to get pretty bad and you’re not overreacting if you say that now. We will get lots of cases, but some won’t even notice it. The best you can do is just remain in good health and check up on those who are vulnerable.

Oh and if you have the symptoms... Don’t be a dick and go into work. Please.

Edited by Matt42
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but apparently the Pope could have the virus. He’s currently ill with cold like symptoms. 

If he is cast down by the virus then it will cause major disruption throughout the world. 

Would it? Popes have died before and they've got to die of something. Catholics would mourn and they'd send smoke out of the Vatican and get a new one. Not sure what it would do beyond that.

5 minutes ago, March Hare said:

Unfortunately we’ve had a spike in numbers this weekend and, as you’ve said, it’s hard to point out the potential severity of it without being called out.  It is serious, China hasn’t shut down entire cities without good reason. Italy is in the same position with its northern towns.

I suspect it will be quite a while before this thread gets an answer in relation to the festival taking place.

Exactly - 20% hospitalised. People won’t take seriously until it impacts them. This has potential to cause enormous health, social and economic problems worldwide. If it doesn’t kill us all it will certainly impoverish us.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

No.

It’s 69 pages of hysteria, an awful attempt at humour that was deleted by Neil, followed by snowflake/free speech nonsense, with a daily update on virus figures from NorthernRingo.

There isn’t any Foals/1975 chat though, so minor bonus. 

A.) 69, nice.

B.) so we haven’t ruled out the fate worse than cancellation/death: The 1975?

6 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Would it? Popes have died before and they've got to die of something. Catholics would mourn and they'd send smoke out of the Vatican and get a new one. Not sure what it would do beyond that.

Pope dying of a virus which is dominating the media right now would be huge. 

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Only symbolically though. It wouldn't actually change anything other than needing a new Pope would it? Or do you think it would actually have a more significant effect on the perception of the virus?

It would be like the queen dying of coronavirus.

I reckon efestivals is probably full of people who aren’t that arsed about the monarchy or figures like the pope, but on a more local level - a lot of people would give a shit.