Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

5 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

30% of respondents to a CNN survery in the USA said they would under no circumstances drink corona beer during this outbreak. Corona are apparently in a right spot of bother

We were going to Florida a few years ago just after Hurricane Irma and there was a report at the time asking people to “please stop shooting at the hurricane”

Edited by lukethekid

4 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’m going to do my duty and perform sanitiser watch today ... not for any helpful reason but car has failed mot and I can’t get it in garage untill thurs ... so weekly shop today 

Just been to my local ASDA- no sanitiser available, but plenty of beer left (although not quite so much now) -when panic buying it is clear that some people’s priorities are different to mine 😆

33 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

Do you think if the festival planned on allowing the people with a ticket for this year to be guaranteed a ticket for next if the festival is cancelled we’d know by now? 

Absolutely 0% chance that would the policy. All we have done is put down an easily refundable £50. I don’t think Glasto would feel under any obligation to do more than a quick and easy refund. If glasto is being cancelled every other major event will. They won’t feel the need to go over and above to composure.

35 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

We were going to Florida a few years ago just after Hurricane Irma and there was a report at the time asking people to “please stop shooting at the hurricane”

There has been some dispute as to what is and isn't funny on this thread. Surely we can all come together as one in finding that hilarious?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Absolutely 0% chance that would the policy. All we have done is put down an easily refundable £50. I don’t think Glasto would feel under any obligation to do more than a quick and easy refund. If glasto is being cancelled every other major event will. They won’t feel the need to go over and above to composure.

Obviously no obligation from their end because it’s not something that’s within their control. If it was to be cancelled due to their failures then probably more so, I suppose it’s just that feeling of feeling hard done by after being successful in getting a ticket. 

35 UK cases now. 12 more just confirmed. This is totally expected. I reckon we will jump up into 100+ in the next week, but things will stabilise once this flare up is controlled.

Edited by Matt42

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

35 UK cases now. 12 more just confirmed. This is totally expected. I reckon we will jump up into 100+ in the next week, but things will stabilise once this flare up is controlled.

Hope so ... that news breaking did concern me ... but logically it was always going to happen 

29 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

Do you think if the festival planned on allowing the people with a ticket for this year to be guaranteed a ticket for next if the festival is cancelled we’d know by now? 

No events in the UK have been cancelled and the festival is on. There is no need for GFL to make any statement to the contrary, especially when these are on hypotheticals. I'm sure if the situation changes GFL will make a statement in due course. However, given the large number of tickets, a 12 month delay to the next fest and potentially significant numbers unable to attend in 2121 due to changes in circumstance, I could foresee all tickets refunded in the event of this year's fest being cancelled. Put simply, it would be easier to cancel and refund all tickets and start again than create a new system to manage 135,000 2020 ticket holders who may or may not come in 2021.

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Hope so ... that news breaking did concern me ... but logically it was always going to happen 

The best way I’ve calmed down amongst the panic is to basically look at this objectively.

Were currently waiting to see the degree of inevitable community spread. This is not exclusive to us, this will happen in all countries like where the virus has come in. 

In two weeks we will have a lot of cases, but that’s the point where focus will shift to helping those who feel the worst effects of the virus, and allowing those with less severe symptoms to make their own independent recovery.

Carry on as usual but don’t be afraid if someone from your work, or a friend of a friend comes down with it.

I’ve just had confirmation that one of my best friends (who works part time in a cafe), one of their staff has been tested positive. He came back to the U.K. and immediately self isolated, he did not return to work. He said he had a rough as fuck fever for three days but it starts easing down. 

It did sound rough though, cold sweats in the night and shortness of breath at points.

17 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I'm not sure about that. Houghton got cancelled last year, they refunded everyone and then allowed those people with tickets this year to get first priority next year. The first priority thing is simple enough to organise - they already do it for those coming by bike. 

I mean, they might not...but "an absolute 0% chance" is a ridiculous thing to say at this stage when we don't even know if it's being cancelled!

4 minutes ago, Lycra said:

No events in the UK have been cancelled and the festival is on. There is no need for GFL to make any statement to the contrary, especially when these are on hypotheticals. I'm sure if the situation changes GFL will make a statement in due course. However, given the large number of tickets, a 12 month delay to the next fest and potentially significant numbers unable to attend in 2121 due to changes in circumstance, I could foresee all tickets refunded in the event of this year's fest being cancelled. Put simply, it would be easier to cancel and refund all tickets and start again than create a new system to manage 135,000 2020 ticket holders who may or may not come in 2021.

They already have such a system in place. In the unlikely event the festival is cancelled this year before the final date for purchasing is here then they just push back the final balance payment day a year. 
Those who can’t make it next year then put a large amount of tickets into the resale. 

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Stabilise how, though? It's not exactly going to change it's mind. I'm of the opinion that some big moves are justified early on to minimise long-term disruption. If we had a couple of months of shut-down, things might be better in June. Leaving things until they get worse is just inviting the worst to happen, and that could be far more damaging.

55 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

While I think this may be a course of action they decide to take (it happened this year at Houghton for example, see my earlier reply to Matt), I don't think they will have decided what they're going to do yet (even with regard to cancelling) so definitely no reason to assume we would have been told if they will offer a guaranteed ticket! 

20 minutes ago, Apone said:

People who are saying No, please explain why, do you have a magic immunity

Don't know what I'm being asked to say NO too. Generally I always say YES. I'm an unfortunate product of Grange Hill. Zammo said No but it done him no good. A long time in the acting wilderness and then a bit part in Eastenders. So, Just say Yes. 

Zammo badges still available on intetweb for those interested. 😉

Screenshot_20200301-140740_Google.jpg

As I understand it any shut down etc would only be to delay or reduce any peak in demand on services etc so we have a fighting chance to cope not to eradicate it or reduce the overall % infected long term. On that basis this is going to go on for months and 2020 could well be a write off. 

16 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Stabilise how, though? It's not exactly going to change it's mind. I'm of the opinion that some big moves are justified early on to minimise long-term disruption. If we had a couple of months of shut-down, things might be better in June. Leaving things until they get worse is just inviting the worst to happen, and that could be far more damaging.

They're buying time and stopping panic by making people believe it's fine/not that bad etc- if everyone realised what you do, the shops would be empty. They need to mitigate the supply chain issues, get their contingencies at hospitals in place before everyone with the sniffles turns up, and it up and also make sure those rich enough to deal in stocks and shares have chance to get their positions right. 

All of this has been inevitable since January because it was hoped it would all just go away. 

I hope it doesnt kick off any more between now and next Saturday when I'm meant to return from a skiing trip in France (where the virus is as everywhere as back home so that's another set of problems) 

6 minutes ago, Splatt said:

As I understand it any shut down etc would only be to delay or reduce any peak in demand on services etc so we have a fighting chance to cope not to eradicate it or reduce the overall % infected long term. On that basis this is going to go on for months and 2020 could well be a write off. 

Now is the time, cases being found in hospitals means it's been spreading for a couple of weeks 

28 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

They already have such a system in place. In the unlikely event the festival is cancelled this year before the final date for purchasing is here then they just push back the final balance payment day a year. 
Those who can’t make it next year then put a large amount of tickets into the resale. 

There’s no way they would do that. 

Thats £6.75M of income they’d have to pay 18% corporation tax on in this financial year, with little expenses to offset it against.