Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

Surely if we screened people on the way in and out of the country (and if other countries did the same) to check for symptoms and then place appropriate travel restrictions if you test positive, would prevent the spread of infection?

I know North Korea has closed its borders completely, absolutely no one is allowed to travel in and out, which is slightly extreme IMO as people might be stuck outside the border who’s home is inside, however i guess it rules out absolutely any chance of any cases within their country. 😕

26 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

I noticed when I went into Boots yesterday that all of the £1 bottles of hand sanitiser were gone, but there was an almost full shelf of ones that cost £1.80, so people are panicking, but only up to a point where they are willing to spend as little as possible.

Haha. This reminds me of the mad cow disease.

No one was buying beef until the supermarkets sold them off for half price.

’I’m not risking that mad cow disease, oh unless I can get a roast beef joint for a fiver and my whole family can have it’

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Surely if we screened people on the way in and out of the country (and if other countries did the same) to check for symptoms and then place appropriate travel restrictions if you test positive, would prevent the spread of infection?

I know North Korea has closed its borders completely, absolutely no one is allowed to travel in and out, which is slightly extreme IMO as people might be stuck outside the border who’s home is inside, however i guess it rules out absolutely any chance of any cases within their country. 😕

The problem with this virus is the incubation period. You can go about your life for two weeks and not show any symptoms, or you could show none at all.

There have been a lot of cases of people having the virus with no idea they have it.

25 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The problem with this virus is the incubation period. You can go about your life for two weeks and not show any symptoms, or you could show none at all.

There have been a lot of cases of people having the virus with no idea they have it.

More to the point you can transmit the virus before you're symptomatic.

So Boris did a night shift in a hospital last week to check what life is like on the front line and the UK's preparedness. How convenient and considerate that the PM popped in at the least busy time!

8 minutes ago, Lycra said:

So Boris did a night shift in a hospital last week to check what life is like on the front line and the UK's preparedness. How convenient and considerate that the PM popped in at the least busy time!

My first night in hospital was pretty manic. There was a lot going on in my ward and I could only see a small part of what was going on. 

I have great respect for anyone working in hospitals now after seeing first hand some of the crap they have to deal with. 

55 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

How many people travel in or out of North Korea generally though? 

23 minutes ago, Henrik said:

Not at all, but I am anti-bullying. 

That's a very admirable trait in a person. Just wondering how you feel about the feelings of those from the often ostracized and occasionally abused gay community who may well have been made upset by Chicken Bob's comment on the poster? 

32 minutes ago, Henrik said:

Calling someone a c**t for telling a couple of jokes is a bit unfair imo 

The prerequisite for a joke to be a joke is that it's funny. Just wondering (again) if you could confirm that you found Chicken Bob's comment on the poster funny?

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

More to the point you can transmit the virus before you're symptomatic.

No real evidence for this at the moment. Data from the only studies completed so far suggest transmission rates between 1-5% (roughly) following close contact with symptomatic individuals (2.8% in Shenzhen, 0.9% in Sichuan province and 4.8% in Guangdong province). This is the only follow-up data we have at the moment...Some anecdotal stories of people being infected and not knowingly coming into contact with somebody symptomatic, but that’s a handful of instances out of 80k+ documented cases. Almost all cases so far involve close contact with someone symptomatic, and even then, close contact only seems to result in infection >5% of the time (3 studies comprising 30k+ Chinese patients). Current advice for avoiding infection is good and sensible. 

16 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

Uhoh. Matt Hancock talking about limiting ‘public gatherings’

Honestly it would be nice if they start now to do it. that means by Glastonbury it will start to change. They say two months, even if it's three starting from now we are covered. So better now than later. 

Public gatherings would surely include public transport. The London Underground must be the most prolific place for spreading germs and diseases. Where else do you come into such close proximity to strangers outside friends and family!

6 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

Honestly it would be nice if they start now to do it. that means by Glastonbury it will start to change. They say two months, even if it's three starting from now we are covered. So better now than later. 

Good point. Hard to know what best tactics are to ensure G goes ahead.

I would really love it if i have to work from home and avoid public transport, but I’m not fucking missing Glastonbury 

Edited by whitehorses

17 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

No real evidence for this at the moment. Data from the only studies completed so far suggest transmission rates between 1-5% (roughly) following close contact with symptomatic individuals (2.8% in Shenzhen, 0.9% in Sichuan province and 4.8% in Guangdong province). This is the only follow-up data we have at the moment...Some anecdotal stories of people being infected and not knowingly coming into contact with somebody symptomatic, but that’s a handful of instances out of 80k+ documented cases. Almost all cases so far involve close contact with someone symptomatic, and even then, close contact only seems to result in infection >5% of the time (3 studies comprising 30k+ Chinese patients). Current advice for avoiding infection is good and sensible. 

I stand corrected.

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I stand corrected.

Ah listen, it’s early days with a brand new virus. Who knows how things will develop! It is kinda reassuring to know that close contact with an infected individual doesn’t guarantee infection. Of course, China has been through SARS, so self-isolation measures and infection control are better known among the population, so could be different in other locations. No way to tell yet! Fingers crossed we are all happy out in a field come June and this is all a distant memory!