Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

46 minutes ago, bamber said:

it would appear that censorship has happened

not really.  That would imply that something important had been hidden from people's view.

It was nothing other than moronic and it had no place here.

And if that poster only does moronic - and he certainly does it a lot - then the same applies to him.

10 hours ago, charlierc said:

Its weird. I've spent a lot of today with a headache and a few pains, which I would usually be comfortable dismissing as just problems with my sleep causing me troubles the day after and agitation at my brother for taking too long to get ready before going to work. But its really enough to put the fear of God into you when the news and pop culture is full of scare stories about a flu-like virus fucking stuff up everywhere and you spot some stuff in the ballpark.

I'm guessing its not given I've not been to a quarantined area - or indeed out of the UK since March last year, although given UK community transmissions have been reported in Surrey, it is still enough to be a little terrified. Maybe that's the new normal in the face of this.

This happened to me yesterday at work. Started feeling really ill, drained of energy, peeing every 15 minutes, fever, shakes....not really the symptoms for Coronavirus...but am I going to mention it? Hell no!
The first reaction would be to send me home and shut down the entire floor I work on without asking for a diagnosis! There really is a sense of panic. Anytime anyone sneezes there are looks over shoulders and a temporary silence as neighbours assess the risks to themselves. Such is office life in the heart of London.
The last time I felt this sense of nervousness was shortly after the 7/7 bombings when anyone with a rucksack on the tube was given a steely glare and a few metres space by fellow travellers.

After a bad night of sleep with more fever and peeing it looks like I have a bladder infection (cystitis maybe?) and currently feeling very weak, but trying to keep strong and focused for the Festaff appilcations tomorrow morning! :)  Priorities! :) 

2 hours ago, yehbutnobut said:

Panic buying has begun. Wife popped into Aldi yesterday late afternoon and said it was absolutely manic, and apparently the lady at the till said it had been all day. She was blaming it on  Corona, Jorje and Brexit (still 🤷‍♂️) apparently. 

Nothing to do with it being payday for most people?

33 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

If I can give any bit of advice to anyone feeling a little apprehensive or worried about the current situation it would be to step away from the Internet and go out. 

Life is mainly continuing as normal out there you know. 

Listen to Jeff Grosso, Go Skate.

Edited by bamber

56 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

If I can give any bit of advice to anyone feeling a little apprehensive or worried about the current situation it would be to step away from the Internet and go out. 

Life is mainly continuing as normal out there you know. 

This is the truth. I had a much better day yesterday, with strictly limited windows of time in which I would allow myself to catch up on the news. I'd otherwise been spiralling in panic a bit.

It is mad how things can change though. Two weeks ago, this thread was the thing that was stressing me out. Now, it's where I come for a bit of levity and rational thinking. 

1 hour ago, lukethekid said:

Nothing to do with it being payday for most people?

id say not ... Ive worked in a supermarket for 24 years and the numbers we picked for homeshopping today were somewhere between month end / payday and Christmas numbers ..... won't take much for it to drop back though people only have so much money ... 

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

id say not ... Ive worked in a supermarket for 24 years and the numbers we picked for homeshopping today were somewhere between month end / payday and Christmas numbers ..... won't take much for it to drop back though people only have so much money ... 

How’s your supplies of hand sanitiser and dettol  wipes?  Shelves have been cleaned out here, all I saw was bubblegum smelling hand cleanser for kids!  

Just now, Ayrshire Chris said:

How’s your supplies of hand sanitiser and dettol  wipes?  Shelves have been cleaned out here, all I saw was bubblegum smelling hand cleanser for kids!  

gone ... and nothing coming back into stock for weeks according to our guns  .... was asked 10 plus times during my shift today for it , not to be found anywhere in town in told ..

30 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Bet those with a secret pvc fetish are relishing the opportunity to come out into the mainstream. Maybe @Lycra could morph to PVC.

YUELAN-latex-vacuum-sleep-sack-rubber-body-vacuum-bag.jpg_960x960.jpg

Would it make my bum look big 🤔

This would definitely be unflattering to my beer belly body shape. Can you imagine how hot you would get in that (if unlike me you could fit into it).

21 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I like the sound of bubblegum smelling hand cleanser, would give that a go.

There is nothing we can do about how governments decide to deal with this virus and that makes me feel powerless. I might do a bit of panic buying myself later , just to make myself feel a bit better (whatever happens I will have books to read and beer to drink).

Edited by Mr Boo

Just now, Mr Boo said:

There is nothing we can do about how governments decide to deal with this virus and that makes me feel powerless. I might do a bit of panic buying myself later just, to make myself feel a bit better (whatever happens I will have books to read and beer to drink).

good luck with that .... you cant panic buy much with empty shelves :)  ... you can pretend though .... 

17 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

gone ... and nothing coming back into stock for weeks according to our guns  .... was asked 10 plus times during my shift today for it , not to be found anywhere in town in told ..

Same here in Frome at all the main outlets....but....if you have a place that cater's for the elderly eg does walking sticks, DVT socks, calamine etc try there.  One in Frome has loads of the stuff and is getting more on Tuesday. 

Just now, parsonjack said:

Same here in Frome at all the main outlets....but....if you have a place that cater's for the elderly eg does walking sticks, DVT socks, calamine etc try there.  One in Frome has loads of the stuff and is getting more on Tuesday. 

good shout ... ive plenty left from Glastonbury and should be able to get some if needs be .... like most of these things it might last a few weeks with the extra demand but supplies will soon filter back in ...

8 minutes ago, Mr Boo said:

There is nothing we can do about how governments decide to deal with this virus and that makes me feel powerless. I might do a bit of panic buying myself later , just to make myself feel a bit better (whatever happens I will have books to read and beer to drink).

7D9CC4FD-A3B1-4992-BE09-DFA3060A3650.thumb.jpeg.1bf3601783eef5ff575485586e9426fd.jpeg

it was tough going. I had to fight my way through rabid grannies and howling children but managed to blag the last bottle.  

Im saved! 

Except that it’s a virus. Not bacterial 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris
  • Upvote 1