Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

10 minutes ago, dmedxb said:

I live in Toronto and although case are low, we had the outbreak of SARS in 2002/2003, during which the measures taken were drastic to try and contain it. I believe that it is containable at the moment and is not at pandemic status

Toronto was weird during the SARS outbreak.  From what I recall, it was pretty much the only place in the world apart from China/SE Asia that had a fairly sizeable outbreak.  I don't remember ever feeling threatened by it, as it was pretty contained, but anyone from outside Toronto treated the place like it was completely infected, head to toe. I had a friend visit from the UK, who upon his return was told to stay home from work and quarantine himself for a month! 

I've never forgiven The Notwist for cancelling their show here during that time!!  :) 

55 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

AND they threw quite the concert afterwards. I was too young to go at the time, but my dad went. Originally from the GTA, but I live in Ottawa now.

I went to SARSstock! Got to Downsview just before Rush came on and nearly got flattened by the crowds running from the burger stands at the back. I think there was a BSE thing happening too so there were loads of foil wrapped hamburger stalls showing it was safe to eat beef still. Great to see ACDC and the Stones for 25 bucks. Didn't get swabbed or stared at or anything on my return so must have been cleared up by then.

2 minutes ago, Chicken Bob said:

I made a risqué joke, that was well thought,  clever,  and funny. But as usual, snowflakes out there got offended I got condemned, and my joke got removed. Here’s to freedom of speech 👍🏻

No, you said something witless, crass and insensitive. But of course, it’s always other people’s fault isn’t it. How dare our sensitivities get in the way of your right to be a c**t. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, kalifire said:

No, you said something witless, crass and insensitive. But of course, it’s always other people’s fault isn’t it. How dare our sensitivities get in the way of your right to be a c**t. 

You’re entitled to your opinion and I’m entitled to mine. Like I said, i made a risqué JOKE. You didn’t find it funny, that’s fine. Just scroll on. But in world where so many people preach freedom of speech I should have no way had my joke  removed. If someone is offended then that’s their issue. I guarantee a lot of people would’ve found it funny, because it was !! 

• Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, Chicken Bob said:

You’re entitled to your opinion and I’m entitled to mine. Like I said, i made a risqué JOKE. You didn’t find it funny, that’s fine. Just scroll on. But in world where so many people preach freedom of speech I should have no way had my joke  removed. If someone is offended then that’s their issue. I guarantee a lot of people would’ve found it funny, because it was !! 

Freedom of speech does not equal freedom from consequence

• Upvote 1

Its just a heavy a cold isn't it ? I would imagine the Covid-19 cat will well be out of the bag by June (If its even still around)

One of my life's mantra's is don't worry about things you cant affect. 

This falls under that category. So I will either see you down on the farm or wont.

3 minutes ago, Chicken Bob said:

It wasn’t that funny. The comments immediately afterwards and the downvotes you received for it should have also indicated to you that it was in bad taste. 

• Upvote 1

I think one thing people aren't considering is time. One thing closely upcoming events haven't had the time to do is plan around the outbreak. Events taking place in June will surely have the time to plan so they can assure they can take place. Proper measures will probably be put in place, but cancelling Glastonbury or even other events would absolutely be the last and least likely option.

1 minute ago, Chicken Bob said:

I doubt fortunately at that time of day that too many saw it .... But I was one ... and amazing as it might be to you in your world I didnt find it distinctly funny .... acceptable freedom of speech is how this forum operates but that was a whole new level of distastefulness ... and ive not seen much to match it in my years on here ... Id say you are fortunate to still be able to post after that ... 

1 hour ago, TownesMR said:

AND they threw quite the concert afterwards. I was too young to go at the time, but my dad went. Originally from the GTA, but I live in Ottawa now.

Nice!  Yeah, I just moved to Toronto from Glasgow soon after SARS. My wife was a nurse in Toronto at the time of SARS and it was pretty terrifying stuff apparently.  Think Sars-stock was best remembered for Justin Timberlake getting bottled off stage (very uncanadian) and then Keith Richards coming on and telling the crowd to not be dicks 😆

42 minutes ago, Chicken Bob said:

3qrklb (1).jpg

• Upvote 1