Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

27 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Apparently we’ve now had the first Briton to die from the virus. Was one of the cruise ship passengers. 

He was British but didn't reside in Britain nor did he fly back to be treated in the UK.

Still very sad but not included in the UK stats, instead it will be in the cruise ship stats.

1 hour ago, stuie said:

If you are planning on travelling in the next few months and have booked flights or accommodation, buy your travel insurance NOW and buy a good quality product.

I usually leave it until the last minute but this isn't a good idea at the moment.

Or better, buy annual multi trip insurance. It's not much more expensive and covers you for trips at home as well. Costs us about £50 per annum as a couple with winter sports as well. 

Prices may well have gone up since I bought ours. 

Travel insurance doesn't seem like it would do much for me in terms of my trip, unless all travel from Canada was banned, which I would find very unlikely. There's definitely worse places to have a trip to than the UK, but if Glasto doesn't go ahead, there will probably be fuck all to do anyways... oh well. BUUUUUUUUT Glasto is fuckin going ahead my friends.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

Glasto is fuckin going ahead my friends.

Love your optimism, but we really can’t say anything yet. If we manage to contain the virus at this point, then yes it’s going ahead, if we truly have a pandemic, I’m certain health officials will cancel the event(as will all theatre performances, concerts, theme parks, schools, universities etc also all be shut for the foreseeable future).

I was feeling optimistic until it broke out in Italy, now I see cases rapidly rising in Germany, where I’m supposed to be moving to soon, and i can’t help be stressed and panicked that the virus is going to take over the whole of Europe.

Heard on the radio last night that no one under 10 has died from the virus which is unusual for these type of things.

And if you are young there is a 0.1% rate of death, But for over 80's that goes up to between 10% and 14%

They are also think that it is only one of 4 Corona virus that we do not get immunity from, so you can catch it again which they think has happened to a person in Japan as they had it then  tested negative and now is testing positive

Daily updates of facts is one thing, discussing the virus is another thing, and that's fine by me.

What I don't understand are the people in this thread that won't even allow an optimistic comment to go by without coming in and insisting on the likelihood of the festival being cancelled. What is to gain from being like that? 

I think what frustrates me is these are the exact kind of people that will lead to a situation of the festival being prematurely cancelled when it shouldn't be. So reading them show up on this thread over and over is like hearing nails on a blackboard for me. 

I know - why am I looking at this thread if some of the people on it and their posts annoy me so much? I will avoid from now on.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, assorted said:

I think what frustrates me is these are the exact kind of people that will lead to a situation of the festival being prematurely cancelled when it shouldn't be.

I said this pretty early on, I think the thread can be good information, but also can be dangerous and create panic. However, I have had my fair share of freaking out on this thread. 

5 minutes ago, assorted said:

I think what frustrates me is these are the exact kind of people that will lead to a situation of the festival being prematurely cancelled when it shouldn't be. So reading them show up on this thread over and over is like hearing nails on a blackboard for me. 

I doubt that the festival would have any capacity to override Government policy. This policy will be directly influenced by what health officials will be saying. If they say ban the festival then it'll mean that it has to be banned, and will hardly be influenced by what's talked about here. 

• Upvote 1

The last pandemic in this country, swine flu 2009, didn’t stop Glastonbury.  There were a few deaths before the festival and thousands infected in May/June.  It also peaked massively in Jul (over 100000 infections in one week) then faded away in the months after.

That gives me some hope that we won’t get cancelled.

Fallback plan - Disinfectant showers between all stages. 

2 minutes ago, Gwladboy said:

The last pandemic in this country, swine flu 2009, didn’t stop Glastonbury.  There were a few deaths before the festival and thousands infected in May/June.  It also peaked massively in Jul (over 100000 infections in one week) then faded away in the months after.

That gives me some hope that we won’t get cancelled.

Fallback plan - Disinfectant showers between all stages. 

In that last pandemic, events weren't cancelled as it has been with this one in every single country. 

20 minutes ago, assorted said:

Daily updates of facts is one thing, discussing the virus is another thing, and that's fine by me.

What I don't understand are the people in this thread that won't even allow an optimistic comment to go by without coming in and insisting on the likelihood of the festival being cancelled. What is to gain from being like that? 

I know - why am I looking at this thread if some of the people on it and their posts annoy me so much? I will avoid from now on.

One thing I think we can say with close to certainty in this situation is that Glastonbury won't be cancelled as a result of a thread on eFestivals...

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, northernringo said:

One thing I think we can say with close to certainty in this situation is that Glastonbury won't be cancelled as a result of a thread on eFestivals...

I'm pretty sure that the COBRA committee will read this thread for updates before they make any decisions next week, to be honest.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stuie said:

I'm pretty sure that the COBRA committee will read this thread for updates before they make any decisions next week, to be honest.

Give them free hospitality tickets and all will be sorted. And then confine them to the left field. Three days listening to Billy Bragg will do them the world of good. 

3 hours ago, northernringo said:

No problem :)

Just in case anyone hadn't noticed last weekend, I won't be doing them on Saturday/Sundays so I'll pick it up again on Monday morning (hopefully with good news for us all).

Woah now. You can't just take the weekend off. How dare you have a life outside of these updates?! :D 

Edited by DareToDibble
  • Upvote 1

While I agree that it's a concern regarding the festival being cancelled, I feel the hysteria of the media is not proportionate to the facts of the outbreak.

The UK has had 19 cases, of which 8 have recovered.  So current active cases are 11.  However the media is constantly pushing the total cases, not only in the UK, but worldwide.  Not the currently active cases (new cases - recovered cases).

It will probably spread to every country, however most new country cases are linked to travel in one of the outbreak hot-spots.

I live in Toronto and although case are low, we had the outbreak of SARS in 2002/2003, during which the measures taken were drastic to try and contain it. I believe that it is containable at the moment and is not at pandemic status

If, and it's a big if there is an uncontrollable outbreak in late May/beginning June, in southern England, then there is a very real chance the festival will be cancelled.  However as other posters have cited when swine flu was moved to pandemic status in April 2009, the festival still went ahead.

Ultimately  if GFS are asked for any comments on the possibility of cancellation, I'm sure the response will be business as usual in preparing for the festival, unless we are told otherwise. (as they did in May 2009)  

I feel that advice should apply to people who are concerned on this thread too.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, TorontoScot said:

While I agree that it's a concern regarding the festival being cancelled, I feel the hysteria of the media is not proportionate to the facts of the outbreak.

The UK has had 19 cases, of which 8 have recovered.  So current active cases are 11.  However the media is constantly pushing the total cases, not only in the UK, but worldwide.  Not the currently active cases (new cases - recovered cases).

It will probably spread to every country, however most new country cases are linked to travel in one of the outbreak hot-spots.

I live in Toronto and although case are low, we had the outbreak of SARS in 2002/2003, during which the measures taken were drastic to try and contain it. I believe that it is containable at the moment and is not at pandemic status

If, and it's a big if there is an uncontrollable outbreak in late May/beginning June, in southern England, then there is a very real chance the festival will be cancelled.  However as other posters have cited when swine flu was moved to pandemic status in April 2009, the festival still went ahead.

Ultimately  if GFS are asked for any comments on the possibility of cancellation, I'm sure the response will be business as usual in preparing for the festival, unless we are told otherwise. (as they did in May 2009)  

Some real sense here. Yes. the virus is a concern and people should be cautious but the response (and media hype) is incredibly disproportionate. Cases in China are on the decline. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TorontoScot said:

I live in Toronto and although case are low, we had the outbreak of SARS in 2002/2003, during which the measures taken were drastic to try and contain it.

AND they threw quite the concert afterwards. I was too young to go at the time, but my dad went. Originally from the GTA, but I live in Ottawa now.

14 minutes ago, TorontoScot said:

Can I just be one of the first to say that post is far too sensible, accurate and well thought out. Not enough chaos.

PANIC.gif

Edited by DareToDibble
  • Upvote 1