Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

44 minutes ago, BlackZeppelin said:

Kalfire, how are you looking for your international flights?

I Think you're in a similar position to me with June Cathay flights?

Yeah, Cathay via Hong Kong in June. Everything is still on at this stage, as far as I'm aware. I've had no information to say otherwise. It's worrying, though. If HK can keep it contained at current levels, there shouldn't be any forced quarantine. I'm quietly hopeful.

What about you?

There are less active cases than a couple of weeks ago which shows its not out of control... Yet

Cruise ships being turned away because people are being tested positive for normal flu. Think the media have the panic and clicks they want

Edited by pryce

Foals still playing Singpore tomorrow and Japan next week.

Having seen Singapore freak out when it first hit and then gradually return to normal as people just got on with life once it’s realised that supermarkets can restock toilet paper quite quickly, Japan, Korea and Italy seem to be following the same path. Initial freak out, tight restrictions to get on top of it early and then contact trace, isolate and treat from that point where the numbers start to even out as people recover.

The UK is already doing plenty of work in terms of preemptive isolation and treatment so I still don’t think we are in any real danger of a cancellation

2 minutes ago, Gregfc15 said:

Foals still playing Singpore tomorrow and Japan next week.

Having seen Singapore freak out when it first hit and then gradually return to normal as people just got on with life once it’s realised that supermarkets can restock toilet paper quite quickly, Japan, Korea and Italy seem to be following the same path. Initial freak out, tight restrictions to get on top of it early and then contact trace, isolate and treat from that point where the numbers start to even out as people recover.

The UK is already doing plenty of work in terms of preemptive isolation and treatment so I still don’t think we are in any real danger of a cancellation

Heard from some people I know in Japan that events are being cancelled/taking place behind closed doors (football, baseball, wrestling etc), but the general vibe in Tokyo is pretty normal. Everyone wearing face masks but the city is still getting on as normal. 

The Sun is running a pretty dire headline prophecy this morning:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11057177/coronavirus-brits-chaos-events-schools-closed/

As the noble Time Lord would say, this is one possible time line, it doesn't have to happen.

And scaremongering stories sell newspapers. Remember all those occasions we were threatened with ice age winters or frying summers..... 

9 hours ago, BlackZeppelin said:

It will spread everywhere, containment and isolation will be pointless.

It's all about the speed of it spreading - healthcare systems can't cope with a huge number of cases all at once.

Unfortunately, the old can't mosh it away, they might need some care.

Is it spreading fast? Compared to other flus? 2 people in Brighton got it alot of people in a nursing home and hospital came into contact with them, nobody else caught it. 

Would be interesting to see how other flu strains are spreading at this moment in time 

53 minutes ago, Lycra said:

The Sun is running a pretty dire headline prophecy this morning:

***Link Removed ***

As the noble Time Lord would say, this is one possible time line, it doesn't have to happen.

And scaremongering stories sell newspapers. Remember all those occasions we were threatened with ice age winters or frying summers..... 

By sharing their links and encouraging clicks you're only doing that rag's job for them. 

Don't buy / click The Sun. 

Edited by cheesey_toastie
  • Upvote 12

4 minutes ago, cheesey_toastie said:

By sharing their links and encouraging clicks you're only doing that rag's job for them. 

Don't buy / click The Sun. 

Off topic but my boss wanted me to look at one of their stories as it was connected to our industry. I made her well aware of my distaste of having to go to that website on my pc. I purged my browser afterwards. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BlackZeppelin said:

Come on Bob. There's dark humour and then there's heartless humour.

4 hours ago, kalifire said:

Imagine typing that and thinking it’s funny. Christ almighty.

4 hours ago, H.M.V said:

Wow. I've seen some shitty comments on here in my time but that's fucking low. 

4 hours ago, BlackZeppelin said:

I know. Bob can do better than that.

Kalfire, how are you looking for your international flights?

I Think you're in a similar position to me with June Cathay flights?

Did I miss a post?

4 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Off topic but my boss wanted me to look at one of their stories as it was connected to our industry. I made her well aware of my distaste of having to go to that website on my pc. I purged my browser afterwards. 

I was contacted by a recruiter the other day to ask me about a role at News UK (The Sun’s parent company). Up to 10 grand a year more than I currently earn.

Told him I wouldn’t even consider it on ethical grounds.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hfuhruhurr said:

It's all about the speed of it spreading - healthcare systems can't cope with a huge number of cases all at once.

Unfortunately, the old can't mosh it away, they might need some care.

I read yesterday that the UK only has 15 acute respiratory care beds - which means the UK can't even cope with a small number of cases. As a doctor in Wuhan said yesterday, there's no city in the world that has the equipment needed to cope (and this is a doctor in Wuhan that built 2 new massive hospitals in a week!).

If the UK starts to get a significant number of cases it's not going to go well. Unlike China we're a society that's used to having high quality healthcare on tap for 70 years.

I think there's going to be a LOT more hiding from Spaffer. Maybe he's already ordered a few more fridges for hiding in.

17 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I was contacted by a recruiter the other day to ask me about a role at News UK (The Sun’s parent company). Up to 10 grand a year more than I currently earn.

Told him I wouldn’t even consider it on ethical grounds.

Wow maaan. That's so so so good of you. 

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I think there's going to be a LOT more hiding from Spaffer. Maybe he's already ordered a few more fridges for hiding in.

I don’t know why we’re worrying. Our fearless Prime Minister has been proven to be incredibly capable of running the country since the moment he was elected. I’m sure he has a strategy for dealing with this crisis. 

Edited by squirrelarmy

If glasto was going ahead say next weekend with current infection levels wouldn’t it be easier to just cancel all overseas tickets? The beauty of the ticket system is you know exactly where everyone lives.

pragmatic to lower the risk rather than cancel the whole thing? 

Just now, Old_Johno said:

If glasto was going ahead say next weekend with current infection levels wouldn’t it be easier to just cancel all overseas tickets? The beauty of the ticket system is you know exactly where everyone lives.

Do you also cancel all overseas acts? 

No Taylor, JJ or Kendrick in that case for certain. 

Mik Artistik could finally get his shot at the pyramid

7 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

But you wouldn't know if any of the British people had travelled to high-risk places recently, rendering it pointless. Also would feel pretty discriminatory!