Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

22 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Jesus Christ everyone is massively over reacting. Glastonbury ain’t getting cancelled ffs 

Exactly.

This virus has a 7 day asymptomatic incubation period in which it is infective.

It will spread everywhere, containment and isolation will be pointless.

Immune system function is closely linked to emotional states.

When I get it, I want it to be in the middle of a RATM set in the mosh pit,  shirts off, screaming Bulls on Parade in a dodgy falsetto with 80,000 others.

Fuck the Coronavirus!

7 minutes ago, BlackZeppelin said:

Exactly.

If we’re all going to be exposed to it this is why I’d rather get it sooner than later so I have more chance of fighting it off. I’d hate to come down with it straight after brain surgery. 

One thing that has worried me are the apparent reports of people catching it twice. Normally your immune system learns how to fight off a virus and subsequent infections don’t happen. With people getting it multiple times it probably means this new strain of flu is already mutating rapidly or it’s just too much for our immune systems to handle. 

6 minutes ago, Glastoboy said:

I don't actually hear anyone 'massively over reacting'. Just discussing the ongoing situation. 

In fact it seems reasonable and realistic that if it does develop into a pandemic that the likelihood of cancellation is quite high. See the comments of 'England's Chief Medical officer' above.

Or are you with the Tories in dismissing the opinions of experts?

Definitely not with the tories, that comment is sickening to hear. The comment is IF it intensifies which of course if it did to a stage where it would be unsafe then it would be cancelled. He really has to say that if it got worse things would be cancelled,  he isn't saying that is the likely scenario. I agree IF it turns to a pandemic then cancellation chances would be much higher but again the chances of that are low and until it got much worse not really deserving of some of the stress that some posts have given on here.

The UK has done well with containing it and unless it gets much worse which I really do not for-see happening then we really have nothing to worry about. 

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

a few thousand km as the owl flies ....Taunton , Somerset .... off season being it is no longer the festive season 

No such thing as off season. South By Southwest is in 2 weeks, follow by the Winter Music Conference and Ultra in Miami. But nothing will ever happen at events with massive international presence. 

5 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

No such thing as off season. South By Southwest is in 2 weeks, follow by the Winter Music Conference and Ultra in Miami. But nothing will ever happen at events with massive international presence. 

Off season for a festive owl 🦉... it’s not Christmas !!! 

56 minutes ago, BlackZeppelin said:

Exactly.

Immune system function is closely linked to emotional states.

When I get it, I want it to be in the middle of a RATM set in the mosh pit,  shirts off, screaming Bulls on Parade in a dodgy falsetto with 80,000 others.

Fuck the Coronavirus!

Can't argue with that

Quite a long video - you might have seen the start of it on social media. The majority of it attempts to put the current outbreak into some sort of context. Personally, I get the impression it could well end up quite a bit worse than Swine Flu, but nothing like the Spanish Flu. I'm aware there is a huge gap between the two.  I'd be interested in seeing these visualisations updated as time goes on, but I suppose that will only happen if it stays in the news long enough to justify the creator's effort - so I hope I never see it updated!

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

If we’re all going to be exposed to it this is why I’d rather get it sooner than later so I have more chance of fighting it off. I’d hate to come down with it straight after brain surgery. 

As you've said, some of the first detected cases in China have been tested again a few weeks later and they've been hit by the virus(hard) again for the second time, so it is possible to catch it again even if you've already had it.

So in that respect, I wouldn't say that it's preferential to get the virus sooner rather than later because then you are at risk of catching it twice and one of those times could end up being in critical condition, best to try and prevent the virus in many ways possible, which most people are currently not doing... (WAY too many people on trains and planes not covering their mouths when coughing is my main issue... I find it quite selfish to be honest).

Another massive issue is people are not sticking to quarantine and isolation rules set into place; for example at the hotel in Tenerife they have been told not to leave your room unless you are wearing a mask yet most people are roaming around freely without caring, putting many other people at risk, which could lead to further spread of the virus.

Edited by FestivalJamie

26 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

As you've said, some of the first detected cases in China have been tested again a few weeks later and they've been hit by the virus(hard) again for the second time, so it is possible to catch it again even if you've already had it.

That's not yet proven to be true at all. It has yet to be determined if those tested and showing the symptoms a 'second' time actually ever really got rid of the virus in the first place. In which case they didn't catch it again....as they never got rid of it.

5 minutes ago, Gilb said:

That's not yet proven to be true at all. It has yet to be determined if those tested and showing the symptoms a 'second' time actually ever really got rid of the virus in the first place. In which case they didn't catch it again....as they never got rid of it.

Sorry, that’s what I’d heard from someone else, must have been false information. My apologies