Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

7 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

There's plenty of hysteria. Take another look at some of the posts.

Your daily posts of doom don't help either.

Happy to stop posting them.

Never intended them as posts of doom, if you look back to the start they were actually started as posts to 'de-myth' the figures the media were sensationally reporting (ie active cases vs total confirmed). Not my fault that outbreaks have happened since in Italy and the Middle East.

• Upvote 11

17 minutes ago, plot2pot said:

This US chart shows which beard styles may put you at risk

Looks like Michael Eavis might need to shave his beard.

Given a choice of a slightly reduced chance of avoiding Corona by shaving my beard or keeping the beard I’m definitely keeping my beard. 

You’re probably far more likely to catch it from touching an infected door handle then touching your face. 

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Given a choice of a slightly reduced chance of avoiding Corona by shaving my beard or keeping the beard I’m definitely keeping my beard. 

You’re probably far more likely to catch it from touching an infected door handle then touching your face. 

I reckon my beard offers more protection than a face mask anyway - I can't imagine any virus getting past it.

2 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Never intended them as posts of doom, if you look back to the start they were actually started as posts to 'de-myth' the figures the media were sensationally reporting (ie active cases vs total confirmed). Not my fault that outbreaks have happened since in Italy and the Middle East.

I actually dont see them as doom ... im interested in reading them ... If I wanted scaremongering theres plenty of daily newspapers available ...Thanks for updates NR 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, northernringo said:

I like the posts, find them really informative and a good way of keeping an eye on what’s happening with it globally without having to scour the internet for the information myself!

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Sorry if that came over a bit harsh. I've no time for people panicking for no reason.

Don't stop on my account. I'm sure most people here look forward to reading them. I don't have to read them after all.

Edited by Ommadawn
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Theres no hysteria really but lets face up to facts. Even if the festival does go ahead, (very very unlikely) most of us won't live to see it.

On the positive side, if it bumps off enough people in March, all those in the resale thread stand a better chance of getting a ticket.

4 hours ago, northernringo said:

Today's update:

Italy obviously the main issue in Europe  and their active cases rose by 131. Could be up to a week before we see recoveries in their numbers too (their 3 original cases have all recovered).

I've had a peak at the numbers again and noticed since my update this morning Italy have announced 37 recoveries which is very encouraging as they didn't announce any of these people as patients until last Friday. That would suggest a potential recovery time of under a week.

Early days and their case numbers will definitely rise by tomorrow's stats but thought it was some good news I had noticed (and not seen widely reported in the coronavirus live feeds I'm following).

19 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

@northernringo these are only confirmed cases. How many people have got the virus and not actually reported it because they don’t think they’re ill enough for hospital treatment. 

Of course but sadly all we have to go on and probably still a decent indicator of its spread. It is estimated, due to the death rates being so 'high' (ie inaccurate) that in Italy and Iran there will be over 1000 cases!

Roskilde announced their lineup today. If there was a concern about it not going forward, they probably wouldn't have announced today (as far as I see it). Glasto will have a plan, but won't be cancelled. It will surely go ahead as planned and then we can all look like this.

Image result for clown mr rogers

1 minute ago, TownesMR said:

Roskilde announced their lineup today. If there was a concern about it not going forward, they probably wouldn't have announced today (as far as I see it). Glasto will have a plan, but won't be cancelled. It will surely go ahead as planned and then we can all look like this.

Image result for clown mr rogers

Creepy nightmare fuel is definitely the look I was shooting for

2 hours ago, northernringo said:

Keep with the informative posts.  They're the main reason I come to this thread. 

Possible scenario is temperature checks on entry, much like in airports like Hong Kong. It would play havoc with the queues, and I'd hate to be a ticket holder with a high temperature that day (so close but yet so far), but what else could they do, short of cancellation?

Edited by kalifire

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

Possible scenario is temperature checks on entry, much like in airports like Hong Kong. It would play havoc with the queues, and I'd hate to be a ticket holder with a high temperature that day (so close but yet so far), but what else could they do, short of cancellation?

Do you know how hot the queue was this year?! No one would be allowed in! :lol:

2 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Host the festival as normal