Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

6 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

Maybe in the minority, but I feel like a group of Glastonbury fans worrying about the fest being cancelled only adds fuel to the fire and may have influence if they feel the public is worried about events like this taking place?

Won't make a difference I don't think - it's going to be as bad as it's going to be, us lot worrying about one event won't influence that one event to not happen. If Glastonbury doesn't happen, neither will any other festival or event and to be honest it'll be the least of our worries by then. 

10 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

If them figures are correct and the number of cases is going down in the worst affected area of China and this is after a month? We should be laughin’ by June. Surely. Please God, I’ve just bought a new tent 😂

This guy gets it

You learn something new every day. I was wondering at what point the 2001 event was cancelled (January) because of foot and mouth and this article suggested that it was actually to do with security and controlling numbers, particularly those without tickets. Didn't realise that. 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/1100854.stm

8 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Won't make a difference I don't think - it's going to be as bad as it's going to be, us lot worrying about one event won't influence that one event to not happen. If Glastonbury doesn't happen, neither will any other festival or event and to be honest it'll be the least of our worries by then. 

That's fair, I just hope in the very unlikely chance that it is cancelled, that it is for a just reason and not prematurely cancelled due to fear, only for there to still be low risk. I'm not fully sure of the public health risk in the UK, but here in Canada the media is making it out to be a huge risk currently, while our Public Health organization still has it listed as low risk. There has been a huge discrepancy between the media and the official information.

15 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

Maybe in the minority, but I feel like a group of Glastonbury fans worrying about the fest being cancelled only adds fuel to the fire and may have influence if they feel the public is worried about events like this taking place?

Health Boards and Governments will not be influenced by public worry, decisions will be driven by the socio-economic impact of the virus getting a hold in the general population v the socio-economic impact of cancellation. A risk v benefit calculation.

18 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

You learn something new every day. I was wondering at what point the 2001 event was cancelled (January) because of foot and mouth and this article suggested that it was actually to do with security and controlling numbers, particularly those without tickets. Didn't realise that. 

yup, there wasn't going to be a 2001 festival. It was nothing to do with foot and mouth.

Probably would have been cancelled if it was going to happen tho.

48 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

That article brought me to a brilliant photo:

Michael Eavis at the 2000 festival

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

I'm not fully sure of the public health risk in the UK, but here in Canada the media is making it out to be a huge risk currently, while our Public Health organization still has it listed as low risk. There has been a huge discrepancy between the media and the official information.

The risk in the UK is probably slightly higher than Canada due to the high degree of travel in Europe and it being "out there" in Italy. And yes our media by reporting on outbreaks elsewhere and the consequences thereof, provide a heightened sense of risk over and above official assessments. This does however play to the advantage of health officials when it comes to getting the message across to the public to take hygiene precautions.