Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

My fear is that we are going to have a summer of cancelled events;  all the good stuff like football games and festivals.  But those measures will be enough to mostly contain the virus and we won't get any benefit, such as a free fortnight off work to play video games.  The worst of all possible worlds.

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

how about there's an outbreak within the festival, and we get quarantined in there - complete with bands.

Some people would call that a great result. :P 

Whats the chances of getting someone infected on standby to come to the festival and make themselves known when they get there..... we would defo get a 14 day Glasto then.... like people have been wanting for years haha 

2 minutes ago, Havors said:

Whats the chances of getting someone infected on standby to come to the festival and make themselves known when they get there..... we would defo get a 14 day Glasto then.... like people have been wanting for years haha 

well I could do that if someone gets me a ticket ...... Shit id best not im Diabetic !!! :) 

24 minutes ago, Havors said:

I am pretty worried about it being cancelled now. Italy have fucked the rest of Europe over on the face of things.... didnt take it seriously in their own country and now they have people who have travelled to other places in Europe to spread it. Like the hotel in Tenerife. 

I work for an Italian company with a lot of Italians and im contemplating going off work before I end up catching it. 

Why is there not a vaccine for it yet by the way? Arent they usually pretty quick with these things? 

They need to be stringently tested. There are one or two stories that vaccines have been successfully made but not tested yet extensively for side effects.

I can't imagine they will be in place before June either.

8 minutes ago, northernringo said:

They need to be stringently tested. There are one or two stories that vaccines have been successfully made but not tested yet extensively for side effects.

I can't imagine they will be in place before June either.

Maybe China will release the vaccine to their man made virus before then? :D 

Think About It Reaction GIF by Big Potato Games

Did Swine Flu promote this much hysteria in 2009 when over 500,000 people (UK) were infected? I know the fatality rate is about 4x higher for Covid-19 but I swear the impact on the global economy, media ect. wasn't this severe...Has the development of social media/comms played a part? Or maybe because I was too young to take notice.....

The Olympics Committee have given themselves 3 months to make a decision. IMO a statement won't be made by Glastonbury until balance payment week. I don't really see the need for any correspondence in the meantime given how quickly outbreaks appear to be developing (case of Italy). Things change quickly. China appears to have contained their situation and I'm hoping Italy will do the same.

To ease my mind I try to look at the numbers in proportion. If the UK and Italy get 10,000 cases each...it's still only 0.015% of our populations.  Given the awareness of the virus (something that China & arguably SK, HK & Singapore didn't have) we should be able to prevent it reaching this kind of number. Again, viruses don't like heat, let's hope for a Summer like 18.

I'm positive - Glasto 2020 will happen as planned.

• Upvote 2

Just now, CraigMichaelRoach said:

Did Swine Flu promote this much hysteria in 2009 when over 500,000 people (UK) were infected? I know the fatality rate is about 4x higher for Covid-19 but I swear the impact on the global economy, media ect. wasn't this severe...Has the development of social media/comms played a part? Or maybe because I was too young to take notice.....

The Olympics Committee have given themselves 3 months to make a decision. IMO a statement won't be made by Glastonbury until balance payment week. I don't really see the need for any correspondence in the meantime given how quickly outbreaks appear to be developing (case of Italy). Things change quickly. China appears to have contained their situation and I'm hoping Italy will do the same.

To ease my mind I try to look at the numbers in proportion. If the UK and Italy get 10,000 cases each...it's still only 0.015% of our populations.  Given the awareness of the virus (something that China & arguably SK, HK & Singapore didn't have) we should be able to prevent it reaching this kind of number. Again, viruses don't like heat, let's hope for a Summer like 18.

Welcome newbie, a positive post! 

41 minutes ago, Havors said:

I am pretty worried about it being cancelled now. Italy have fucked the rest of Europe over on the face of things.... didnt take it seriously in their own country and now they have people who have travelled to other places in Europe to spread it. Like the hotel in Tenerife. 

I work for an Italian company with a lot of Italians and im contemplating going off work before I end up catching it. 

Why is there not a vaccine for it yet by the way? Arent they usually pretty quick with these things? 

One is potentially on the way - trials start in April.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/drugmaker-moderna-delivers-first-coronavirus-vaccine-for-human-testing-11582579099

9 minutes ago, CraigMichaelRoach said:

Yeah im not worried about the Virus itself, we will control it and it will be sorted out without much issue. The thing myself and I presume others are worried about is the cancellation of everything while it is being controlled.  

1 minute ago, august1 said:

Imagine if they issued a statement that it was cancelled on a first poster template..

Or even worse, the first poster showing the bookings but with cancelled written diagonally across it.

Heart-breaking.

Let's stop being mongers of doom!

15 minutes ago, Havors said:

Yeah im not worried about the Virus itself, we will control it and it will be sorted out without much issue. The thing myself and I presume others are worried about is the cancellation of everything while it is being controlled.  

A bit of both.  Said before that I'm not concerned for myself as my health and immune system are pretty robust and, at least from what we appear to be seeing, it's those with underlying conditions or systems weakened by age or illness that are at risk.

But I'm pretty sure that everyone on here has got at least one person close to them (or themselves in some cases) that you wouldn't necessarily wager your mortgage on having no issues if they got it.

Edited by Quark

Just to reiterate, I am also in the 'camp' that believes Glastonbury won't be cancelled. 

As my stats have been showing, China's active cases has been dropping each day and I expect it to continue to do so. If it wasn't for the South Korea issue then East Asia would be coping pretty well with it.

Japan's issue is partly due to the cruise ship.

Malaysia, Singapore, Philippines, Thailand, Macau, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Indonesia seem to have dealt with it very well so far.

As have the likes of India, Nepal, Russia, Belgium, Finland, Germany, France, UK, Sri Lanka and Australia. 

The hope is that for every edge case like Italy, Iran and South Korea, the rest of the countries on their continents continue to resist the spread.

I'll be keeping a close eye on the spread in the Middle East. I could see the likes of Iraq and Afghanistan following in Iran's footsteps.

5 minutes ago, august1 said:

Imagine if they issued a statement that it was cancelled on a first poster template..

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

And put the announcement at the bottom in small writing underneath all the bands we're not going to see.

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

Or even worse, the first poster showing the bookings but with cancelled written diagonally across it.

Heart-breaking.

Let's stop being mongers of doom!

Stop it :(

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

A bit of both.  Said before that I'm not concerned for myself as my health and immune system are pretty robust and, at least from what we appear to be seeing, it's those with underlying conditions or systems weakened by age or illness that are at risk.

But I'm pretty sure that everyone on here has got at least one person close to them (or themselves in some cases) that you wouldn't necessarily wager your mortgage on surviving if they got it.

Yep and as I said I'm not worried about us not controlling it so those people should be ok. The UK will be a lot more robust than Italy has been.