Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

13 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

If it was to get cancelled (which it isn’t) what would happen with tickets? Would everyone just get their 50 quid back or would you still be guaranteed a ticket for the rescheduled festival?

This is exactly what I want to know. Should it be classed as an extended pre resale period? Anyone who can’t make the rescheduled festival can then put their tickets back in the pot for the next time around. 

It is still going ahead though so it’s a moot point!

In an ideal world we’d wake up Monday morning of the festival, and be told to party hard for 14 more days, as we can not leave, each supplied with a dust masks so we can pretend we are in the Prodigy, all inclusive alcohol and all inclusive meals

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, waynewdk said:

In an ideal world we’d wake up Monday morning of the festival, and be told to party hard for 14 more days, as we can not leave, each supplied with a dust masks so we can pretend we are in the Prodigy, all inclusive alcohol and all inclusive meals

Within 2 days of that happening the whole site would turn into some post-apocalyptic, feral, free for all.

Or: a bit like it was back in the 90s.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Within 2 days of that happening the whole site would turn into some post-apocalyptic, feral, free for all.

Or: a bit like it was back in the 90s.

Be a novel experience seeing folk with pockets full of twix  bars  trying to climb the fence from the inside! 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris
  • Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

If it was to get cancelled (which it isn’t) what would happen with tickets? Would everyone just get their 50 quid back or would you still be guaranteed a ticket for the rescheduled festival?

As much as I would love it to just be transferred to the next festival I reckon they would have to give everyone their money back and it would be another free for all on ticket day for the next festival.

17 weeks until festival gets under way.

17 weeks since CV19 first recognised in Wuhan.

Now blooming all over the Far East, SE Asia and Iran.

Only now is it really starting to trickle stealthily into Western Europe.

Not a lot from Africa, but this might be the relative lack of diagnostic capability in many countries. Remarkable given the huge Chinese presence in Eastern Africa.

The Govt would have to make fairly early decisions on what they will implement in the event of further spread.

However, GF would have to anticipate events and may have to make an early decision, maybe as early as mid May, as to whether to continue, due to infrastructure, transport, availability of supplies, bands available etc in an uncertain climate.

Crucial time is next two to three weeks.

25 minutes ago, waynewdk said:

This is the right thinking - here's to being quarantined at Glastonbury.

43 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

It will be refunds for all. The festival won't be rescheduled, it will be cancelled. The 2021 GF won't be a rescheduling of the 2020 one.

2 minutes ago, northernringo said:

It will be refunds for all. The festival won't be rescheduled, it will be cancelled. The 2021 GF won't be a rescheduling of the 2020 one.

Disagree

I think that would be the case for any other year but considering they’re celebrating their 50th Anniversary this year, next year would still be Glastonbury’s 50th Anniversary Extravaganza Special. 

2 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

Disagree

I think that would be the case for any other year but considering they’re celebrating their 50th Anniversary this year, next year would still be Glastonbury’s 50th Anniversary Extravaganza Special. 

Sorry but the chances of it being the same festival with all of the same artists is remote. It will therefore be cancelled rather than postponed for a year.  If it is cancelled I think that missing out on a festival might be the least of our worries.

Hopefully it will all be academic as the virus will be contained and on its last legs by June.🤞

6 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

Disagree

It won't be. It's not the 50th festival, it's 50 years since the first festival. If the festival doesn't happen this year the anniversary is past. Next year would be the 51st anniversary. 

I can't say I wasn't a bit disheartened by the new flare ups since the weekend. I am still trying to keep in mind though that it is still just late February. 

If things really are bad enough that the festival needs cancelling then missing Glastonbury likely won't be high on my list of concerns. It would be a real kicker though if they made an early call to cancel it (ie. before the balance payment week) and then come June everything was pretty much fine again.

It's no small matter, either way, and I know the festival will do what it has to do. I'd like to think that those with tickets would in some way be honoured for the next festival, but that's because I'm someone with a ticket. Those without will obviously be hoping for the first opportunity to be back on the farm, too.

Fingers crossed that the world gets on top of the virus over the course of the next month. 

1 minute ago, tarw said:

Sorry but the chances of it being the same festival with all of the same artists is remote. It will therefore be cancelled rather than postponed for a year.  If it is cancelled I think that missing out on a festival might be the least of our worries.

Hopefully it will all be academic as the virus will be contained and on its last legs by June.🤞

Not saying it’d be the same acts on and all that, but I just can’t see them formally cancelling it.

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

It won't be. It's not the 50th festival, it's 50 years since the first festival. If the festival doesn't happen this year the anniversary is past. Next year would be the 51st anniversary. 

But there’s gonna be things made for this years festival, like for the 40th anniversary when they had that 1970 - 2010 above the screens on the pyramid, there’s gonna be loads of that sort of stuff knocking about and all of that that has been made they’re not just gonna throw in the bin. Therefore the next festival that they have after this year being cancelled would still be a 50th anniversary celebration. 

5 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

But there’s gonna be things made for this years festival, like for the 40th anniversary when they had that 1970 - 2010 above the screens on the pyramid, there’s gonna be loads of that sort of stuff knocking about and all of that that has been made they’re not just gonna throw in the bin. Therefore the next festival that they have after this year being cancelled would still be a 50th anniversary celebration. 

We should probably worry about this when it happens, but considering it's not the 50th festival it's just 50 years since it started, I think it will probably just be scrapped.

Would be a bit weird 1970 - 2020 being above the screens in 2021!

• Upvote 1

As someone without tickets i wouldn't want the festival to be cancelled .... people have a lot of emotional tie ins once they get the tickets and if you dont you have to accept it in its own way .... others not having a festival would make me sad and create a much not needed fallow year ... so id love it to go ahead anyway as not having it wouldn't benefit anyone .... In terms of what would happen should it be cancelled I cant see it not being a full october sale as is normally the case .. fingers crossed for all the ticket holders 

• Like 2

I am pretty worried about it being cancelled now. Italy have fucked the rest of Europe over on the face of things.... didnt take it seriously in their own country and now they have people who have travelled to other places in Europe to spread it. Like the hotel in Tenerife. 

I work for an Italian company with a lot of Italians and im contemplating going off work before I end up catching it. 

Why is there not a vaccine for it yet by the way? Arent they usually pretty quick with these things? 

10 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

In terms of what would happen should it be cancelled I cant see it not being a full october sale as is normally the case .. fingers crossed for all the ticket holders 

IF it was cancelled all ticket deposits would be refunded.  There's tax implications for keeping £6.75M of money for that long without and of the festival costs!

But it's not getting cancelled!

Just now, Havors said:

Why is there not a vaccine for it yet by the way? Arent they usually pretty quick with these things? 

I think they said it's likely to take 6 months for a vaccine to be created.

After catching up with the latest updates from various media outlets, today is the first day when I've really grasped the severity of this situation. I wonder when organisations in charge of forthcoming large scale international events will consider making statements? Probably slightly too early yet for the summer events to do so but we're in March come Sunday...