Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

15 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Anyone seen the film contagion? Should frighten you enough

Not seen it. Any good? I’m a big fan of The Andromeda Strain. 

Edited by semmtexx

13 minutes ago, semmtexx said:

Not seen it. Any good? I’m a big fan of The Andromeda Strain. 

It’s marketed as a horror film but it isn’t a horror film

I think a lot of people didn’t like it when it first came out because the trailer makes it look like a zombie movie without zombies, but the final product is nothing like that at all.

TLDR: Watch it but don’t watch any trailers.

Edited by Matt42

41 minutes ago, semmtexx said:

To be fair this is headline news elsewhere. Whether or not the risk profile justifies the Italians approach is another debate but a major European country taking these measures is news worthy. 

Doesn't worry me though. 

Worries me a little more given its the area around Milan that's most affected, given people I know are out there atm for Milan Fashion Week. There's clearly huge worries if they're calling off Serie A games - three in that region have been pulled, along with games in the lower leagues.

Was considering a summer outing there. Might wait and see if it clears up.

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

Worries me a little more given its the area around Milan that's most affected, given people I know are out there atm for Milan Fashion Week. There's clearly huge worries if they're calling off Serie A games - three in that region have been pulled, along with games in the lower leagues.

Was considering a summer outing there. Might wait and see if it clears up.

I meant more it doesn't worry me personally as I'm not a risk group and I'm not in Italy (unfortunately as it's a great country). But yes if friends family were there then it heightens your sense of risk. 

Like all of these things the risk to you as an individual is actually quite small. Especially if you consider some of the daily risks we happily trivialise. 

Smoking for example. 

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

It’s marketed as a horror film but it isn’t a horror film

I think a lot of people didn’t like it when it first came out because the trailer makes it look like a zombie movie without zombies, but the final product is nothing like that at all.

TLDR: Watch it but don’t watch any trailers.

Cool. Will look it up. Ta. 

1 hour ago, March Hare said:

Another way to look at it... what if we all get quarantined on the farm? 

Sounds ok to me, as long as folk arnt segregated by age and us festival veterans don’t get isolated in the acoustic tent for the duration! Alternating between wet wet wet, Keane and acoustic status quo? No thanks.  I could just about cope with the Avalon. 

35 minutes ago, semmtexx said:

I meant more it doesn't worry me personally as I'm not a risk group and I'm not in Italy (unfortunately as it's a great country). But yes if friends family were there then it heightens your sense of risk. 

Like all of these things the risk to you as an individual is actually quite small. Especially if you consider some of the daily risks we happily trivialise. 

Smoking for example. 

Sure. There was a detailed story from a Facebook friend a few weeks ago who was living in the area of China where this originated talking up an effective evacuation to South Korea (which I'm aware has had a recent spike of its own). But I guess the risk feels more palpable on where you may relate to - I've never been to China but I have been to the Lombardy region of Italy, was considering a return there to see Green Day & Foo Fighters (both play Milan in the same week in June), and I know people currently there, hence why its probably easier to get a little unnerved.

Maybe its just an easy reaction to get the fear about it.

Edited by charlierc

It's a long way away but if it hits hard over here you'll definitely see places closed.. ie towns etc.. You only have to look at Italy to see what will happen.. But as for Glastonbury I reckon it'll be worth over by then.. 

It's crazy how those people got back to UK on that flight.. Doesn't say much about the checking of people.. Also Iran is a worry because they are not equipped for this.. As well as the war.. 

Mad world.. 

So a friend just told me they heard on the news this morning there could be a possibility festivals will be cancelled because of the virus..... I hope this is just the media being sensationalist arseholes.... 

I cant see it happening unless there is a proper outbreak here.. and if there was it would mean all sporting events and gigs being cancelled surely?? 

14 minutes ago, Havors said:

So a friend just told me they heard on the news this morning there could be a possibility festivals will be cancelled because of the virus..... I hope this is just the media being sensationalist arseholes.... 

I cant see it happening unless there is a proper outbreak here.. and if there was it would mean all sporting events and gigs being cancelled surely?? 

Cancelling festivals will definitely be on the cards in govt planning.

But I reckon before we get to that we'll see footie matches being cancelled or played without a crowd, so I think we'll have notice that a cancellation is coming (if it's coming).

11 minutes ago, Havors said:

I don't want to be a doom-monger and I don't think it will happen here but Italy have finished the Venice carnival two days early, cancelled fasion week shows and the Inter Milan football match and other sporting events.

1 minute ago, stuie said:

I don't want to be a doom-monger and I don't think it will happen here but Italy have finished the Venice carnival two days early, cancelled fasion week shows and the Inter Milan football match and other sporting events.

but italy has had a lax attitude towards it - which is a bit obvious as they had three cases where 2 died a day later, and two days after that they have 100+.  They must have only just started testing people, even tho people were showing symptoms.

15 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Cancelling festivals will definitely be on the cards in govt planning.

But I reckon before we get to that we'll see footie matches being cancelled or played without a crowd, so I think we'll have notice that a cancellation is coming (if it's coming).

Yeah they would have to cancel all gatherings of people you would imagine. 

Let's hope it doesnt come to that. We cant account for other countries being slack and useless like Italy appear to have been. We may have to start testing every single person coming into the country.... mental. 

In the unlikely event they do have to cancel and postpone I won’t be happy if my ticket for this year is not valid for the rescheduled festival. 

It’s all scaremongering anyway, the festival will be going ahead as planned. I don’t even mind if it’s more homegrown acts rather than international acts if international travel is restricted. 

Update after a pretty worrying weekend for the disease...

China is down a couple thousand more cases, just over 52,000 active cases there. China saw a couple hundred deaths over the weekend but over 6500 recoveries.

The Diamond Princess numbers rose but not sure how accurate the dashboard is in reporting these. For example, it made a reference to 4 new UK cases (all from the ship) but not explicitly. On the other hand, there are explicit USA records for the ship in their figures.

Singapore's live cases is down 10 to 38 now. Hong Kong down 3 to 58. Thailand down 6 to 14 cases. Malaysia just with 4 cases now. 

South Korea obviously saw a huge spike over the weekend, up to 807 cases with 8 deaths as well. That's a jump over over 650 so definitely one to keep an eye on. Japan nearly doubled as well to 131 cases but again not sure how the ship reporting is affecting that. Taiwan up one to 24.

Iran is another worrying one - especially with the fact that there are further cases now in the middle east due to travellers from Iran. High death rate in Iran too would suggest they did not anticipate it well. Currently 49 active cases but I'd guess that will increase by a lot. The figures are yet to be updated for Bahrain and Afghanistan (recently announced) but there is one confirmed case in Israel (from the cruise ship) and one in Lebanon too. Also an increase of 4 in UAE.

In Europe, there has been no change really outside of Italy. As mentioned, the UK now has 5 active cases but 4 of these are from the cruise ship so no real change. Germany has one new recovery so down to 2 cases. Italy however, as discussed in this thread, have 209 active cases so very worrying in terms of the spread to Europe.

No change in Canada and new cases in USA but at least 18 of the 19 new cases are down to the cruise ship. No change anywhere else (Canada, Australia, India, Russia, Egypt, etc).

In terms of the effect on Glastonbury, I think we've seen that its going to be pretty impossible to predict at this stage. I wouldn't be quick to rule anything out though as change can happen so quickly. On Friday, the situation in Italy was pretty fine. By Sunday, major sporting events and carnivals were cancelled. I have no doubt that if there is an outbreak in England in June, they'll cancel Glastonbury at short notice. I'd say that goes for a major outbreak (ie Italy levels) anywhere in England. The good news is that there is still loads of time for the situation to improve.