Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

3 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

I would say calculating death rate by calculating deaths against total number of cases (which is where they get the 2.2% rate from) is meaningless, as we dont know the outcome for the vast majority of those cases. That’s meaningless.

Yeah that's why most experts reckon it's more likely to be about 1% as lots of cases will go totally unreported.

If you were planning I'd agree with you. But you're not really, you're taking the absolute worst case position and presenting it as what is going to happen. And then conflating that worst case in China, with worse air quality, higher smoking rates and a greater incidence of lung and respiratory issues, with the UK. Describing it as uncontainable. 

That's not planning, it's panic.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

so you've stocked up with 3 months of food and bog roll...? :P 

6 weeks. True story.

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

If you were planning I'd agree with you. But you're not really, you're taking the absolute worst case position and presenting it as what is going to happen. And then conflating that worst case in China, with worse air quality, higher smoking rates and a greater incidence of lung and respiratory issues, with the UK. Describing it as uncontainable. 

That’s my hope too. Doesn’t help the Chinese though.

8 minutes ago, Quark said:

It's not even the worst case scenario in China its a misunderstanding of the numbers to create a number many times higher than worst case estimates of the position in China.

5 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

You’re right. It’ll be ok. It’s just the flu. You’ve convinced me.

That's not what we're saying though is it? There is stuff between the extremes of "nothing to worry about" and "fucking armageddon out of here"

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

there was a place closed just up the road from me yesterday too.

I think there's probably a bit of general panic from people getting a cold. ;) 

I have a runny nose and a sore throat - I'm already convinced I have it