Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

1 hour ago, marathonsteve said:

They sell that Buckfast stuff in the off licence across the road. Its seems quite expensive but I have never tried it.

Known up here as Buckie or wreck the hoose  juice. (Translation, destroy the house drink!). For a drink made by a religious order it’s caused so much problems with under age drinking especially in deprived areas of west central Scotland. The combination of sweetness, high caffeine content and alcohol makes it attractive to the youngsters. It Is widely drunk before football matches, gigs and parties. 

A far cry from the idyllic Devon abbey where it is produced.

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

On 2/10/2020 at 3:23 PM, Zoo Music Girl said:

I do actually know of someone who died that way. He was young as well.

Sad memory triggered.

Ditto. A relatively recent tragic story.

After a funeral and the wake. An old primary school friend had buried his sister. His best mate (who I had also known for years), just slipped over backwards at the top of some house steps and that was it.

Poor guy buried a sister and lost his best mate in the space of a few hours..

7 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

4701DD6B-556C-4E83-80FC-D59207C4D01E.jpeg.400c8cc159707b7d9ded8289905a9a6e.jpeg

reckon i am immune, was brought up drinking this stuff, delivered every week on the lemonade lorry! 

Happy memory triggered. It's been years :P

Like the milkman but once a week instead of daily and a massive proper lorry.. Regular as clockwork. I used to sit outside waiting for it.

I cried my little eyes out the day it stopped stopping at our house. My Mum was shouting at it and ringing our doorbell, trying to get it to stop. Grown up me now thinks that my Mum had cancelled the order and had started buying pop from the Co-Op.

She could have just tried explaining that to me. Rather that letting me think that Corona and their driver were being horrid and letting me get seriously distressed..

Still loves creating unnecessary drama she does :dontknow::ph34r::ph34r:.

Pretty sure the Corona makers had a factory near us in Folkestone that got taken over by SilverSpring. Or maybe it was a SilverSpring lorry all along?

Also remember winning dozens of bottles like this at the old "ring/fish a bottle" games that you used to see at fetes and school fundraisers. An easy carny game once you knew the trick. Plus you got 10p back on the empties.

4 hours ago, kalifire said:

For the Cathay crew... just spotted this: https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/1856054/cathay-pacific-group-has-cancelled-more-than-half-of-its-flights

Currently just until the end of March, but easy to see how this could drag on. There's nowt I can do, personally. Just have to see how this cookie crumbles.

On the plus side (from your perspective Kali) 90% of the cancellations are internal Chinese mainland flights. Long haul doesn't seem to be as badly affected atm.

3 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Chinese F1 GP in April now postponed....

BBC News - Coronavirus: Chinese Grand Prix postponed over virus fears
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/51471569

Not really a surprise tbf - the deadline for a decision so they could begin sending stuff out there was this week, and the FIA/FOM did give them every opportunity to be convinced they could go to Shanghai.

They are still going to Hanoi despite that part of Vietnam being pretty close to the Chinese border, although Vietnam has less officially reported cases than Singapore and Japan, both of which have F1 races in autumn.

37 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

the numbers have gone mental ... but it's probably just China coming clean about them. Hopefully.

This could indicate that it is more easy to transmit than previous calculations have indicated.

A couple of news stories in MSM saying that it 'could' hit UK over the summer.

Without wanting to appear to be scaremongering, it is a real possibility that large gatherings could be cancelled.

Edited by Sawdusty Surfer
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

It’s already hitting UK. It spreads before symptomatic. Uncontainable. And a real possibility of death it would appear given that Chinese stats show of cases with a known outcome the death rate is 19% - sweet jesus

I'm all for treating this seriously, but there's a difference between that and outright blind panic and scaremongering.  Do you write headlines for the Express?

2 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

Known dead - 1,367, known discharged 5,911 = 7,278 known outcomes. 1,367 deaths as a percentage of 7,278 known outcomes is 18.78%.

19% of known outcomes that required hospitalisation, and given the exact life time of the virus is unknown and containment is the focus I imagine there are plenty of fully recovered cases still not discharged. I've seen estimates of the fatality rate fluctuate from 0.5% to 4% with most at around 1%. If it really was 19% that would be horrific but it isn't.

Just now, mcshed said:

19% of known outcomes that required hospitalisation, and given the exact life time of the virus is unknown and containment is the focus I imagine there are plenty of fully recovered cases still not discharged. I've seen estimates of the fatality rate fluctuate from 0.5% to 4% with most at around 1%. If it really was 19% that would be horrific but it isn't.

Don’t disagree but I said of known outcomes and this is what they are reporting, so a simple calculation. We will never know the true numbers/percentage.

2 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

I would say calculating death rate by calculating deaths against total number of cases (which is where they get the 2.2% rate from) is meaningless, as we dont know the outcome for the vast majority of those cases. That’s meaningless.

Whereas worst case speculation isn't?