Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

6 minutes ago, HattersBoy said:

Should we now call this COVID-19,  the official name? Wonder how long it took them to think that up?

Apparently, so my friend tells me, there are some health bigwigs currently trying to think of a new "sexier" name for it. MERS is an awful example of a new "sexy" name because it contained the location it originated in, thus perpetuating xenophobic attitudes.

You'd think these health guys would have more important things to do than name the damn thing, but what do I know....

2 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Apparently, so my friend tells me, there are some health bigwigs currently trying to think of a new "sexier" name for it. MERS is an awful example of a new "sexy" name because it contained the location it originated in, thus perpetuating xenophobic attitudes.

You'd think these health guys would have more important things to do than name the damn thing, but what do I know....

"Researchers have been calling for an official name to avoid confusion and stigmatisation.

"We had to find a name that did not refer to a geographical location, an animal, an individual or group of people, and which is also pronounceable and related to the disease," the WHO chief said."

why do I feel like Corona (beer) have been onto the WHO?

Edited by grilladelphia

18 minutes ago, HattersBoy said:

Should we now call this COVID-19,  the official name? Wonder how long it took them to think that up?

NHS are calling it 2019-nCoV

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/wuhan-novel-coronavirus/

9 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I think it's a bit late now... everyone will still call it coronavirus.  It's been hammered into our brains by the media for weeks!

3 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

4701DD6B-556C-4E83-80FC-D59207C4D01E.jpeg.400c8cc159707b7d9ded8289905a9a6e.jpeg

reckon i am immune, was brought up drinking this stuff, delivered every week on the lemonade lorry! 

I remember this as well. I was just trying to recall if You got money back on the empty bottles if you gave them back or was that just beer bottles from an Off Licence.

Edited by marathonsteve

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Fucking Coventry!

I knew those bastards were behind it!!!

Not just Coventry, but north Coventry too. What a bunch of bastards they are, indeed. That said, have you ever been to north Birmingham? I have performed certain under cover sorties in that area, and can report that it's fucking wrong, just wrong, man. Leaving the place is the only thing to like about it. Anyway, I digress. Now where was I? Oh yes, 'Bastards'. 

52 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

8BE2E3F6-CE59-4865-87AD-DAD66187095C.jpeg.c06511f0f304ea12fdbb932b76abe192.jpeg

Barrs, who make Irn Bru and the quintessential cream soda have come up with this tooth rotting vomit inducing beverage 

Fuck me stupid! What fucking loony thought that one up? That's bad, but it's nowhere near as bad as the people who are actually buying the 'drink'. What kind of beast are they, at all?

22 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Fuck me stupid! What fucking loony thought that one up? That's bad, but it's nowhere near as bad as the people who are actually buying the 'drink'. What kind of beast are they, at all?

I reckon Barrs, the inventors of Irn Bru,  have made this specifically to export to Devon as an act of revenge for the monks of buckfast abbey flooding Scotland with that bloody awful tonic wine, the neds beverage of choice 😉

2 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I reckon Barrs, the inventors of Irn Bru,  have made this specifically to export to Devon as an act of revenge for the monks of buckfast abbey flooding Scotland with that bloody awful tonic wine, the neds beverage of choice 😉

Now there is a word I haven’t heard in a while! 

10 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Yes, I've heard all about the restorative properties of buckfast before, and that it can render you tetraplegic in next to no time. One has to admit that with a provenance like that, it could be alluring to certain parties / party's. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Yes, I've heard all about the restorative properties of buckfast before, and that it can render you tetraplegic in next to no time. One has to admit that with a provenance like that, it could be alluring to certain parties / party's. 

I went to Buckfast Abbey on a uni field trip, I don’t remember the coach ride back.