Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

37 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

We are seeing that there is no need to have big numbers to start having events cancelled. For example the Phone Congress that will take place in Barcelona this month will be cancelled most likely as companies are starting to confirm that are not going (Amazon, LG, Ericsson...) 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/business-51438845

There are 0 cases in Spanish peninsula so this is an example of the panic level. Imagine with 500 cases in each country... 

Yeah, and we're still 4 months away from the festival where most the visitors will be from the UK. That looks like most people will travel in for. 

34 minutes ago, Quark said:

World News: "910 people dead so far from virus outbreak"

UK: "But what about our music festival?"

Just a thought.

I mean, thats not it at all. There's a lot of people worried in here, its just 1 question of 'man that would suck'. 

1 hour ago, Stave_1974 said:

Anyone on here from Brighton?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51447761

Anyone here from Brighton AND been to County Oak doctors recently?

57 minutes ago, Quark said:

World News: "910 people dead so far from virus outbreak"

UK: "But what about our music festival?"

Just a thought.

Well, this forum spends months discussing who we'll see, what to eat and what the weather will be link so it's not an unreasonable to discuss if it might be cancelled or not!

I was reading in Private Eye this morning about the number of people in the UK that die by falling down stairs.  700-odd for the latest year that figures were available.

This Guardian article has  the figures for all deaths from 2008 - 2010, and in that period it was pretty consistent at around 640 people per year. 

I know this Corona Virus could turn out to be really nasty, the "one", but these UK figures do make for an interesting comparison.  I mean, 9 people died in 2010 from being bitten / struck by "other mammals" (not dogs or rats).  Cows perhaps?  What else could they be?   Then there is the 623 people in 2010 from "Exposure to narcotics and hallucinogens".   Interesting, in a morbid sort of way. 

https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2011/oct/28/mortality-statistics-causes-death-england-wales-2010 

Just now, Guy Incognito said:

That's my mate's mum's doctors. He's currently sat next to me and has been complaining the last couple days of feeling  very under the weather...

Looks like there may be one more ticket available in the resale! 

2 if hes sat next to you ... and you both have tickets ...

12 minutes ago, EasyUserName said:

I was reading in Private Eye this morning about the number of people in the UK that die by falling down stairs.  700-odd for the latest year that figures were available.

I do actually know of someone who died that way. He was young as well.

Surely the main worry with this Brighton GP is that the people attending a GP surgery are likely to be very young, very old or have underlying health conditions... i.e. the dangerous categories.

Had a holiday in Japan booked for July - the travel company just cancelled it (it did involve a cruise ship - aka a virus incubator).

Either companies are being way too cautious (due to legal bollocks I guess), or this virus is more of an arse than we're being told.

As already said, if Glastonbury even gets close to being cancelled we're in deep deep do do as a whole. Not going to happen, trust me, I said that about brexit.

18 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

That's my mate's mum's doctors. He's currently sat next to me and has been complaining the last couple days of feeling  very under the weather...

Looks like there may be one more ticket available in the resale! 

Honestly, I'd go get checked out. 

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I do actually know of someone who died that way. He was young as well.

Surely the main worry with this Brighton GP is that the people attending a GP surgery are likely to be very young, very old or have underlying health conditions... i.e. the dangerous categories.

Yes, they did say something about there being a "higher-than-you'd expect" number of younger people rather than the typical image of an elderly person falling.

I meant it more as a general observation about the number of deaths worldwide compared to the UK stairs deaths. 

7 minutes ago, EasyUserName said:

Yes, they did say something about there being a "higher-than-you'd expect" number of younger people rather than the typical image of an elderly person falling.

I meant it more as a general observation about the number of deaths worldwide compared to the UK stairs deaths. 

Oh yeah, I understood why you referenced it. Just raising as a point of interest that it does happen. Makes me glad to live in a flat!

1 minute ago, SloopJohnB said:

Flu kills around 500 people a year in the UK....nothing to worry about....media hype 

I totally agree but the problem here is because of this panic everywhere events can be cancelled. I don't agree with this "If Glasto is suspended we will have something more serious to worry about". It looks like it doesn't need to be insanely out of control to cancel massive events. As I told you the most important event of the world for Mobile can be cancelled in Barcelona with 0 CASES. 

And yes, Flu kills way more people and many other sickness and they are around. 

5 minutes ago, SloopJohnB said:

Flu kills around 500 people a year in the UK....nothing to worry about....media hype 

I'm not worried about dying. As the media has been saying its those who aren't seeking help and are old or with a pre exsiting illness/condition who are the ones dying. The main worry is how far it spreads and how easy it spreads because they're shutting down countries because of it. 

I have oversight of emergency planning in my job at a local authority. First thing in the emergency planning hand book is social distancing. Glastonbury is the very opposite of social distancing. 200k People from all over the world in close proximity with poor hygiene...wet dream for a fast spreading virus. Throw in that’s 200k people who go elsewhere after 5 days to share their new lovely friend with their far flung communities.  

And before anyone says it, Eavis won’t have the slightest say in it. I would be quite frankly amazed if the local resilience forum ‘Somerset Prepared’ hadnt already discussed it.

If nothing else the rich and famous (the acts) will put themselves in lock down as they can afford to sit and wait it out. No festival without the acts.

As said before need to hope it burns out quick or it turns out to be less deadly than feared.