Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

53 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Its about using common sense mate and being aware of the dangers. Unfortunately not everyone will take the same precautions or listen to advice.

I know first hand how people are selfish. Have had idiots in work think its funny to come in work with with a cold, then cough and splutter all over me. They are not arsed about me ending up really ill, all they care about is losing their shift allowance if they are off sick.

The only solution there is setting up working from home for as many people as possible. My yearly bonus is based on my attendance at work. It pays for all my festivals and holidays for the year so I do have extra incentive to take the bare minimum of time off. I have some upcoming treatment where I am going to need more time at home but I’m going to make sure I can work remotely so I can keep on track for my bonus. 

If more people have the ability to avoid spreading germs it’s better for everyone. 

1 hour ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Given the evidence we have, that's exactly how it looks like playing out.

not correct. 25% of infected people of all ages get a serious version of the virus, which is more than like a cold.

And while most of those who've died have been oldies or with a pre-existing condition, there's also been some anomolies with that. I know that someone aged 36 without a known pre-existing condition has died (as well as others) where there's no obvious reason why apart from the virus.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

not correct. 25% of infected people of all ages get a serious version of the virus, which is more than like a cold.

And while most of those who've died have been oldies or with a pre-existing condition, there's also been some anomolies with that. I know that someone aged 36 without a known pre-existing condition has died (as well as others) where there's no obvious reason why apart from the virus.

And that’s the problem. No government or country is prepared for 25% instance of hospitalisation to treat for pneumonia.

But to be fair China has a known issue with Chronic lung disease across all age ranges due to high levels of smoking and some of the most polluted cities in the world. I would suggest they are more likely to be hit hard by this, than in less polluted areas of the world.

42 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I was being unnecessarily flippant.  It's obviously worse than a common cold.  But there's evidence to support the levels of scaremongering out there.  It could evolve and worsen, but if it stays on a current path it will be fully controlled.

And on a similar note, nowhere near enough analysis has been done into what other factors may have been at play for the few victims who didn't have preexisting health conditions - Did they suffer from something undiagnosed?  Had their respiratory system been compromised?  Was care lacking?  None of those questions are a priority in the midst of an outbreak, and won't be assessed or become clear until a long way down the line.  But given the evidence we have at hand, there is no reason for fit, healthy people to currently be remotely concerned. 

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

The only solution there is setting up working from home for as many people as possible. My yearly bonus is based on my attendance at work. It pays for all my festivals and holidays for the year so I do have extra incentive to take the bare minimum of time off. I have some upcoming treatment where I am going to need more time at home but I’m going to make sure I can work remotely so I can keep on track for my bonus. 

If more people have the ability to avoid spreading germs it’s better for everyone. 

Yeah, this to be honest. I am a freelancer on an ongoing flexible contract, so I don't get paid if I'm ill. Not everyone has the luxury of being able to take a paid sick day. Luckily I usually am able to work from home and I do think that needs to be extended out to more businesses, particularly in the case of something like this.

Plot twist if me not having Glasto tickets this year ends up not mattering because the whole event is cancelled!

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

2 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

And on a similar note, nowhere near enough analysis has been done into what other factors may have been at play for the few victims who didn't have preexisting health conditions - Did they suffer from something undiagnosed?

oh, I know - I did word what I said carefully. :) 

The point is tho, that it tends to get said that the only people who need to worry are those aged over 60/65 or with pre-existing conditions - and that's not completely accurate. 

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Now have the Umbongo tune in my head !! 

Me too! A soon as I saw 'Congo'. Had to google the full lyrics :)

Way down deep in the middle of the Congo,
A hippo took an apricot, a guava and a mango.
He stuck it with the others, and he danced a dainty tango.
The rhino said, "I know, we'll call it Um Bongo"
Um Bongo, Um Bongo, They drink it in the Congo.
The python picked the passion fruit, the marmoset the mandarin.
The parrot painted packets, that the whole caboodle landed in.
So when it comes to sun and fun and goodness in the jungle,
They all prefer the sunny funny one they call Um Bongo!

4 hours ago, eastynh said:

You would like to think tickets would remain valid.

2 hours ago, stopwn1981 said:

All I do know is if Glasto 50 Is cancelled, ticket holders better carry over to next year!

I don't think there's any chance that they would just sit on > £35M of punters ticket money until the next festival rolls around.   Aside from anything else, there'd be massive taxman complications.

17 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

The way I view it is that things would have to get seriously fucking bad for them to cancel Glastonbury. And if they do get that bad then going to Glastonbury would be pretty far down the priority list anyway.

I think this is still the salient point to be honest.

40 minutes ago, Gilb said:

Love it when someone finds an obscure early Radiohead song. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Jimbojam said:

Should we be worried about the Corona Virus and Glastonbury? I know it is still early doors yet, but what happens if more people get infected over the coming months in the UK, will they really let Glasto happen? all the people in close contact with each other will not be good if the virus is spreading, surely the Authorities will stop it. 

I think all the drugs and alcohol will kill the Corona Virus dead to be honest....  and some stone circle magic for good measure ha 

1 hour ago, Gilb said:

On 2/4/2020 at 9:28 PM, BlackZeppelin said:

I'm in exactly the same position.

Flying with Cathay. 

Mind you, we got 6 tickets to the 50th Glastonbury...I'm going come hell or high water.

Staff taking unpaid leave until the end of June now, starting to think that we've backed the wrong horse: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51383284

2 hours ago, sirjonnyp said:

Staff taking unpaid leave until the end of June now, starting to think that we've backed the wrong horse: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51383284

Yeah saw that. Spoke to the Flight Centre agent. She reckons to hang in there as Cathay will likely end up putting us on other airlines.

But it depends if it blows over by June or turns into The Apocolypse.

(But Im concerned whether either way Cathay is still trading by then.)

The alternative is to cancel now, cop the $630 cancellation fee, and buy an Emirates flight.

What are you thinking?

1 hour ago, BlackZeppelin said:

Yeah saw that. Spoke to the Flight Centre agent. She reckons to hang in there as Cathay will likely end up putting us on other airlines.

But it depends if it blows over by June or turns into The Apocolypse.

(But Im concerned whether either way Cathay is still trading by then.)

The alternative is to cancel now, cop the $630 cancellation fee, and buy an Emirates flight.

What are you thinking?

I'm over here waiting for my visa and unable to work, so I'm trying to be as careful with money as I can be at the moment - hence booking the cheapest flight :D

I think I'm going to ride it out another month, if it dies down then phew. If it doesn't and they put us on other flights fine. Worst case, I have an expensive decision to make before balance deadline day. My partner (who has a lot more airline experience than me) thinks I'm ridiculous for getting worried. She has told me not to cancel myself, as if they cancel the flights they should be giving all of the money back. I've had a google but I'm still not sure. 

Another Melbourne resident with a Cathay flight booked for June, here.

I booked through a third party, whose terms say that if the airline cancel the flight they'll provide an alternative, or the agent might be able to secure a refund. The issue is, that can take weeks and if the airline goes under, I'm not sure they'll be refunding anything. 

If I'm looking at having to shell out for another flight, I'm potentially looking at no Glastonbury as it would be phenomenally expensive.

Hopefully it won't come to that.