Corona Virus - Should we be worried?

Jimbojam

19 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

We were very close to that in 2016. 

Very true, took me longer to drive from Glastonbury town to the site that it took me to drive 470 miles from home to Glastonbury! Sat in the car listening to worthy fm giving updates of the carnage in the caravan fields. Those hedges along the road were well fertilised! Well done the festival for not cancelling and it was a good one! 

39 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Very true, took me longer to drive from Glastonbury town to the site that it took me to drive 470 miles from home to Glastonbury! Sat in the car listening to worthy fm giving updates of the carnage in the caravan fields. Those hedges along the road were well fertilised! Well done the festival for not cancelling and it was a good one! 

Am I right in saying they opened the gates a bit earlier than normal so it couldn’t be cancelled? I’m sure I read that somewhere (possibly here).

Just now, DareToDibble said:

Am I right in saying they opened the gates a bit earlier than normal so it couldn’t be cancelled? I’m sure I read that somewhere (possibly here).

Not sure but I recollect the campervan fields were opened early and possibly some vans redirected to the  Showground   . 

It is a concern to some of us international guests. My flights are with Cathay, so I'm changing in China. Even better, Australia is shutting its border to China, so I have no idea if there are even going to be flights a few months down the line. If flights are still being cancelled I hope I can get some money back, but if I can't I'm not sure I can justify the expense with an even more expensive flight via a different hub. At the moment I'm sure that everything will be fine, but if we get to mid-March and things aren't looking great I'm going to have a decision to make. 

Edited by sirjonnyp

51 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

They would have cancelled Glasto because of foot & mouth. I reckon cancellation because of corona virus has to be a possibility.

Isn't that because its a farm though re foot and mouth and lots of the countryside was cutoff? If Corona Virus gets to the point where everyone is getting it then we will have worse problems like going about daily life without disruption.

2 minutes ago, Ashl said:

Isn't that because its a farm though re foot and mouth and lots of the countryside was cutoff? If Corona Virus gets to the point where everyone is getting it then we will have worse problems like going about daily life without disruption.

Potentially large gatherings might be shut down ... farm or no farm thats almost irrelevant its the numbers of people congregating together thats an issue and the movement of people , thats why China is shutting public transport and locking down affected area 

7 minutes ago, Ashl said:

More specifically because it’s a dairy farm and at would have been at the highest end of risk of contamination. 

16 minutes ago, eastynh said:

The virus shows no signs of slowing down. Most deaths in a day, yesterday. Already killed more than SARS managed.

Like everything in life though, most people just shrug their shoulders till it affects them.

I’m not sure what else anyone in a different country is supposed to do? Maybe a little more empathy but I’m not going to start giving masks to the family and going on like the Daily Mail. It’s shit and I hope they can contain it but it’s pointless worrying about something I’ve no control over.

5 minutes ago, Badlands said:

I’m not sure what else anyone in a different country is supposed to do? Maybe a little more empathy but I’m not going to start giving masks to the family and going on like the Daily Mail. It’s shit and I hope they can contain it but it’s pointless worrying about something I’ve no control over.

The masks are useless anyway. There is not much anyone can do. By the time you realise you have it, you will have passed it on anyway.

There are 2 states in this counrty. No one giving a toss or mass hysteria. Unfortunately we will lurch from one to the other.

Common sense needs to be used and everyone needs to be practicing good hygene. Unfortunately not everyone does.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

They would have cancelled Glasto because of foot & mouth. I reckon cancellation because of corona virus has to be a possibility.

Correct. There are certainly contingency plans in place at local and national level for restrictions on public gatherings in the event of a pandemic. Large festivals (any festivals) would certainly be covered by this.

No-one can argue against the sense in that. SARS from 2002 on was the last time we came close to those being implemented in the UK (and it was closer than a lot think).

This is different in respect of contagion, although somewhat less dangerous than SARS. The key is timelines of pandemic management - could take up to a year to get on top of this with the peak possibly coming around May time. 

Certainly a possibility and not to be dismissed out of hand.

Not trying to troll, scare or cause problems but some seem to believe this is impossible, but it is needs to be taken into account.

Yup, and masks are pointless.

7 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Correct. There are certainly contingency plans in place at local and national level for restrictions on public gatherings in the event of a pandemic. Large festivals (any festivals) would certainly be covered by this.

No-one can argue against the sense in that. SARS from 2002 on was the last time we came close to those being implemented in the UK (and it was closer than a lot think).

This is different in respect of contagion, although somewhat less dangerous than SARS. The key is timelines of pandemic management - could take up to a year to get on top of this with the peak possibly coming around May time. 

Certainly a possibility and not to be dismissed out of hand.

Not trying to troll, scare or cause problems but some seem to believe this is impossible, but it is needs to be taken into account.

Yup, and masks are pointless.

Coronavirus has killed more in 6 weeks than SARS did in 9 months.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/03/world/asia/coronavirus-deaths-sars.html

Edited by eastynh

2 minutes ago, Copperface said:

It could happen yes, but to be honest if it happens it happens. It's something well beyond the sphere of my control so I'm not going to waste energy worrying about it.

2 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Coronavirus has killed more in 6 weeks than SARS did in 9 months.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/03/world/asia/coronavirus-deaths-sars.html

Yes, but SARS had a higher fatality ratio. 

This is exactly what I meant - nCov19 is far more contagious and more people are becoming infected - numbers are far higher so numbers of fatalities are higher, but ratio is lower compared to SARS.

One thing I am curious about is what happens in the event of a cancellation? Would they try and reschedule for later in the year? Try and convince as much of the lineup as possible to sign on again? Or would they have to write off the entire year? Would ticketholders be given priority for next year or would it just be a scramble again?

3 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Yes, but SARS had a higher fatality ratio. 

This is exactly what I meant - nCov19 is far more contagious and more people are becoming infected - numbers are far higher so numbers of fatalities are higher, but ratio is lower compared to SARS.

Fatality ratio maybe higher for SARS but Coronavirus is easier to catch like you say. 

Surely a virus that is easier to catch and has killed more in a shorter space of time is more dangerous? 

The fatality rate maybe higher with SARS but Coronavirus will end up by far the most damaging of the two.

Ebola was and is deadly. Does that not have a fatality rate of > 95%. Yet if only a few hunfred people are getting infected, it will not have much of an affect on a global scale. A virus that is infecting > 2000 a day, is asymptomatic, is now on the loose within the developed world, has no known cure and is capable of killing, could have absolutely devastating effects.

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

One thing I am curious about is what happens in the event of a cancellation? Would they try and reschedule for later in the year? Try and convince as much of the lineup as possible to sign on again? Or would they have to write off the entire year? Would ticketholders be given priority for next year or would it just be a scramble again?

I think it would just be wrote off for a year.

You would like to think tickets would remain valid.

As for the artists, it would depend on their schedule.

9 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Fatality ratio maybe higher for SARS but Coronavirus is easier to catch like you say. 

Surely a virus that is easier to catch and has killed more in a shorter space of time is more dangerous? 

The fatality rate maybe higher with SARS but Coronavirus will end up by far the most damaging of the two.

Ebola was and is deadly. Does that not have a fatality rate of > 95%. Yet if only a few hunfred people are getting infected, it will not have much of an affect on a global scale. A virus that is infecting > 2000 a day, is asymptomatic, is now on the loose within the developed world, has no known cure and is capable of killing, could have absolutely devastating effects.

You are agreeing with me.....I think.

4 minutes ago, Copperface said:

You are agreeing with me.....I think.

I think I am 😊

I am no expert on issues such as this. I am on inmunosuppressents and steroids, so I have to take a little more interest and show a little more concern when things like this happen.

23 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I think the only thing that could be done is to completely write everything off. Many artists would be outside their touring cycles for one. Full refunds for all and see you again in October.

Makes me wonder, given the warnings about the current situation, if GFL have had to take out additional insurance to cover a cancellation scenario, specifically based upon health and welfare advice/orders? 

16 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Makes me wonder, given the warnings about the current situation, if GFL have had to take out additional insurance to cover a cancellation scenario, specifically based upon health and welfare advice/orders? 

Quite possibly, makes you wonder if they would go ahead with balance payments if we reach April and there is still significant doubt over whether it's going ahead.

another thing in the mix is USA bands perhaps not coming over. They could get here, but there's the possibility of them not being allowed to flay back if Europe had it bad and the USA didn't.

Me, based on my own ignorance ( :P ), I reckon it's already too late to stop and it is going to hit the UK in a big way - but perhaps so big there'll be little point in having restrictions on what people can do.