Dua Lipa

CaledonianGonzo

On 7/31/2020 at 8:42 PM, FloorFiller said:

I’m leaning towards her being bumped up to Pyramid sub now. Maybe she’s more than happy to remain in her OS slot, and vs. Macca she’s not gonna be in trouble of it being overfilled, but she seemed like a huge deal when she was initially booked and she’s even bigger now, and we know they’ve lost some big name Pyramid subs.

Yeah if Lana isn't there it's an easy bump up and if Noel isn't there it's even easier. I think he will make it as a one off though as the chance to play before Macca will be too much.

She was third (fourth below N*E*R*D?) at Reading on the last record. I strongly disagree that she was already a huge Other headliner and now would be too big and Pyramid or nothing.

The Other Stage slot was a bump up (an entirely anticipated one) and it seems suitable for her now. A headline slot on the Other Stage was completely by design and I don’t see anything to have changed that. I think that her headlining the Other Stage is kind of a reinvention of that slot because she is a mainstream artist on the rise you wouldn’t normally put there but now it ushers in future options - flip flopping on that seems daft.

22 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

She was third (fourth below N*E*R*D?) at Reading on the last record. I strongly disagree that she was already a huge Other headliner and now would be too big and Pyramid or nothing.

The Other Stage slot was a bump up (an entirely anticipated one) and it seems suitable for her now. A headline slot on the Other Stage was completely by design and I don’t see anything to have changed that. I think that her headlining the Other Stage is kind of a reinvention of that slot because she is a mainstream artist on the rise you wouldn’t normally put there but now it ushers in future options - flip flopping on that seems daft.

You’re totally and utterly missing the point. Since she was originally rumoured for this festival she has continually got bigger and bigger and now she’s one of the biggest stars in the world. She’s on a continuing upwards trajectory which is showing no means of stopping. If she has new material coming soon and new hit singles that’s only going to continue. 

The reason why I can’t see her headlining the other stage is because she stands a chance of stealing a major portion of attendees away from the pyramid headliner. We’ve never genuinely seen an other headliner play the festival which could headline the pyramid. 

I see it going two ways - she either moves to 2021 and subs the pyramid or they wait and have her headline the whole thing in 2022.

Edited by Matt42

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

You’re totally and utterly missing the point. Since she was originally rumoured this festival she has continually got bigger and bigger and now she’s one of the biggest stars in the world. She’s on a continuing upwards trajectory which is showing no means of stopping. If she has new material coming soon and new hit singles that’s only going to continue. 

The reason why I can’t see her headlining the other stage is because she stands a chance of stealing a major portion of attendees away from the pyramid headliner. We’ve never genuinely seen an other headliner play the festival which could headline the pyramid. 

I see it going two ways - she either moves to 2021 and subs the pyramid or they wait and have her headline the whole thing in 2022.

I’m totally and utterly missing the bit where she could ‘genuinely’ headline the Pyramid and has become one of the biggest stars in the world since March.

She will headline the Other in 2021.

Edited by dentalplan

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I’m totally and utterly missing the bit where she could ‘genuinely’ headline the Pyramid and has become one of the biggest stars in the world since March.

She will headline the Other in 2021.

It baffles me that you will look one way from a female star going from a relatively popular U.K. pop star to her 4th most streamed artist in the world and Madonna knocking on her door to collab.

But in your mind Foals deserved a bump up for playing a popular secret set.

Just admit you haven’t been paying attention 

Mmm I think I’m somewhere in the middle. I recognise she has totally blown up in the past few months, but my take is she will have the opportunity to play bigger gigs than the Other and she might skip the festival altogether, unless she’s offered top Pyramid spot. Which I’m not sure about. I think she could do it, but I think they will have other options ahead of her.

I could see some big outdoor shows instead, or perhaps headline Reading? Although I’m not keeping up with that festival at all - they may have headliners lined up already. 

Just now, Matt42 said:

It baffles me that you will look one way from a female star going from a relatively popular U.K. pop star to her 4th most streamed artist in the world and Madonna knocking on her door to collab.

But in your mind Foals deserved a bump up for playing a popular secret set.

Just admit you haven’t been paying attention 

she’s always been a huge streaming artist, even when she was early doors in the John Peel. Maybe you weren’t paying attention.

Foals had already subbed the festival and secret sets are a good indicator of a good relationship with the festival, but yes I was wrong about that one. I’m not going to leave the forum about it.

Kind of pathetic to throw down that I’m not taking her seriously because she’s a woman. Why don’t you look at her tour sales? I know the circumstances are poor but her tour went on sale on December and got a good couple of months in before things went south - and she’s sold out barely any sections. Maybe her streams don’t exactly translate into live audience?

It’s fucking exhausting mate that you think that you can be the only one in tune with what young people are listening to, so for that reason you don’t justify anything and just say that anyone else is out of touch. Especially considering you’re a generation above the people you’ve decided to speak for anyway.

• Upvote 1

Just now, jparx said:

I could see some big outdoor shows instead, or perhaps headline Reading? Although I’m not keeping up with that festival at all - they may have headliners lined up already. 

I think her headlining Reading is probably less likely than her headlining the other stage again. She played when she was a mid tier artist but I think she will want to do something a bit cooler.

I really liked her latest, was a great listen during the start of Lockdown, and I praise her for having the balls to release it then. Reckon it'll pay off come next summer, but fail to see her as a Pyramid headline. No doubting her popularity at all, but can see the Other headline slot or a high up Pyramid slot.

12 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

she’s always been a huge streaming artist, even when she was early doors in the John Peel. Maybe you weren’t paying attention.

Foals had already subbed the festival and secret sets are a good indicator of a good relationship with the festival, but yes I was wrong about that one. I’m not going to leave the forum about it.

Kind of pathetic to throw down that I’m not taking her seriously because she’s a woman. Why don’t you look at her tour sales? I know the circumstances are poor but her tour went on sale on December and got a good couple of months in before things went south - and she’s sold out barely any sections. Maybe her streams don’t exactly translate into live audience?

It’s fucking exhausting mate that you think that you can be the only one in tune with what young people are listening to, so for that reason you don’t justify anything and just say that anyone else is out of touch. Especially considering you’re a generation above the people you’ve decided to speak for anyway.

Oh god here we go :P 

I was there when she was in the JP tent and she was obviously nowhere near as popular as she is now. I don’t know what the point your making is really.

My point was that your benchmarks for which acts are big enough seem to shift all the time, and it doesn’t exactly follow the most consistent logic.

I’m not gatekeeping who is down with the youth or not, that’s completely twisting my words. Of course people aren’t running out to get gig tickets for January there’s a bloody pandemic going on and it’s clear those gigs will be cancelled. I won’t be buying any gig tickets until this all clears up, and I won’t be alone in that regard.

Edited by Matt42

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I was there when she was in the JP tent and she was obviously nowhere near as popular as she is now. I don’t know what the point your making is really.

My point was that your benchmarks for which acts are big enough seem to shift all the time, and it doesn’t exactly follow the most consistent logic.

I’m not gatekeeping who is down with the youth or not, that’s completely twisting my words. Of course people aren’t running out to get gig tickets for January there’s a bloody pandemic going on and it’s clear those gigs will be cancelled. I won’t be buying any gig tickets until this all clears up, and I won’t be alone in that regard.

Completely agree on not buying tickets until after the festival should it take place at all ( 🤞), I really want to see Fontaines and Michael Kiwinaku tour in the Sprimg but couldn't bring myself to buy them, i still love going to gigs albeit not the amount I used to given my age which puts me in the at risk age area.

Edited by ghandi

14 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’m CLEARLY not saying she’s as big as she was in June 2017, as much as that would be an easy win for you. I’m saying she had big streaming numbers back then and it didn’t translate into a big slot. She had some of the biggest singles of the decade when she played fourth down at Reading. It’s not me keeping her down.

And there wasn’t a pandemic going on when her tickets went on sale or for a while after that, but if she was truly the third biggest act in the world I think enough people would still buy tickets mid-pandemic to fill up standing at the flipping Cardiff Motorpoint Arena. Some acts have sold out tours in the past few months.

You totally gatekeep don’t even pretend that you don’t. People have been calling you out for long enough on it.

Edited by dentalplan

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

I’m CLEARLY not saying she’s as big as she was in June 2017, as much as that would be an easy win for you. I’m saying she had big streaming numbers back then and it didn’t translate into a big slot. She had some of the biggest singles of the decade when she played fourth down at Reading. It’s not me keeping her down.

And there wasn’t a pandemic going on when her tickets went on sale or for a while after that, but if she was truly the third biggest act in the world I think enough people would still buy tickets mid-pandemic to fill up standing at the flipping Cardiff Motorpoint Arena.

You totally gatekeep don’t even pretend that you don’t. People have been calling you out for long enough on it.

I don’t get your point sorry. Whatever she had in 2017 was nowhere near 3rd in the world and an average of 60m listeners a month. If you can find the figures for what she got we can discuss that but I bet you it was nowhere near that. She’s had a monumental increase, not a slight increase.

She also played Reading before Future Nostalgia was even a thing, and it’s the future nostalgia album which has catapulted her numbers up.

When did those tickets go on sale? From what I remember these dates were originally for April? And rescheduled to Jan when shit hit the fan? 

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I don’t get your point sorry. Whatever she had in 2017 was nowhere near 3rd in the world and an average of 60m listeners a month. If you can find the figures for what she got we can discuss that but I bet you it was nowhere near that. She’s had a monumental increase, not a slight increase.

She also played Reading before Future Nostalgia was even a thing, and it’s the future nostalgia album which has catapulted her numbers up.

When did those tickets go on sale? From what I remember these dates were originally for April? And rescheduled to Jan when shit hit the fan? 

They went on sale in December when she first started to be rumoured for this.

I’m saying that using streams as a barometer isn’t the be all and end all when streams clearly aren’t everything for a Glasto audience. Do you want to list the rest of the top 20 most-streamed artists and we can consider which ones are likely to headline?

Her biggest singles don’t come from the new album. Maybe they’re being listened to more now because the album is new, but she hasn’t had anything as big as New Rules or One Kiss.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

She’s not even the biggest act the headline the Other Stage that weekend.

She definitely is. The other two are kind of weak.

24 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Genuinely surprised by that. Didn’t know they balled so hard.

Been going for 40 or so years and still selling out arenas too. Will Dua Lipa be headlining the Other at Glastonbury 2060?

The “biggest ever Other headliner” thing is a misnomer anyway. How do you judge it?

The Chemical Brothers headline arenas and festivals and still sell records by the truckload. Are they not bigger than Dua?

Skrillex and Dedmau5 were both absolutely massive with the kids when they headlined. Is that any different to Dua?

QOTSA were on their way to becoming one of the biggest rock bands around when they headlined...

None of this is meant as a pop at Dua Lipa, I just don’t see, right now how she is significantly bigger than some of the names I’ve mentioned above. 

52 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Been going for 40 or so years and still selling out arenas too. Will Dua Lipa be headlining the Other at Glastonbury 2060?

The “biggest ever Other headliner” thing is a misnomer anyway. How do you judge it?

The Chemical Brothers headline arenas and festivals and still sell records by the truckload. Are they not bigger than Dua?

Skrillex and Dedmau5 were both absolutely massive with the kids when they headlined. Is that any different to Dua?

QOTSA were on their way to becoming one of the biggest rock bands around when they headlined...

None of this is meant as a pop at Dua Lipa, I just don’t see, right now how she is significantly bigger than some of the names I’ve mentioned above. 

Erm. Yes