Dua Lipa

CaledonianGonzo

Let’s not forget that the festival is trying to identify future headliners too! If they can see a clear trajectory for her they may agree with the hold off / tie it in with their own plans. They are looking to create new headliners as it is, and if there is a british woman with a good relationship with the festival that is on that way - they will totally get it.

I hope I’m explaining what I mean well but it’s not completely unilateral on Dua lipa’s behalf, the festival might agree that it’s better to have her headline then come back in a slot below her weight.

Just now, Matt42 said:

Let’s not forget that the festival is trying to identify future headliners too! If they can see a clear trajectory for her they may agree with the hold off / tie it in with their own plans. They are looking to create new headliners as it is, and if there is a british woman with a good relationship with the festival that is on that way - they will totally get it.

I hope I’m explaining what I mean well but it’s not completely unilateral on Dua lipa’s behalf, the festival might agree that it’s better to have her headline then come back in a slot below her weight.

Yeah, that makes more sense. An agreed decision rather than Dua going full diva.

Whether or not it's viable is another matter altogether...

Literally every new headliner gets beat down and hit with the “I don’t see it” memo.

Guys you do know that new acts do need to headline? The festival does need to break out of the established headliners cycle and give new comers a shot?

Dua and Billie could headline tomorrow in my view. Dua would simply hang on whether the festival wanted to take that leap, but I don’t doubt for a second in my mind afterwards there will be a “wow she blew me away can’t believe I doubted her” tag line. 

The 1975 could have headlined yesterday.

Dave, Lizzo, George Ezra are one album away from being headliners.

The reason you cant see it is because you’re clouded by your vision that new acts can’t headline festivals. They can. Whether you like them or not doesn’t mean they can’t headline Glastonbury.

Edited by Matt42
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Literally every new headliner gets beat down and hit with the “I don’t see it” memo.

Guys you do know that new acts do need to headline? The festival does need to break out of the established headliners cycle and give new comers a shot?

Dua and Billie could headline tomorrow in my view. Dua would simply hang on whether the festival wanted to take that leap, but I don’t doubt for a second in my mind afterwards there will be a “wow she blew me away can’t believe I doubted her” tag line. 

The 1975 could have headlined yesterday.

Dave, Lizzo, George Ezra are one album away from being headliners.

The reason you cant see it is because you’re clouded by your vision that new acts can’t headline festivals. They can. Whether you like them or not doesn’t mean they can’t headline Glastonbury.

Thing is, Glastonbury really doesn't take the 'risks' it used to do. Gone are the days of bands like Kings of Leon being bumped up to headline before they really hit it big later that same year, or smaller acts being given that push to establish them as headliners everywhere else. I know we're hot on the heels of Stormzy headlining off the back of one album, but the fact is his second album was definitely supposed to be out by then (which would've been a guaranteed hit), it was a shit year for festival headliners, he was on the cusp of being huge anyway, and he was a homegrown black artist who's political views melded with Glastonbury's. 

Dua Lipa was booked to headline the Other this year, so clearly that's where the festival see her. She could've easily played third or subbed the Pyramid, but headline? No chance, regardless of Emily's 'Pyramid level OS headliners' comment.

Billie Eilish might come back to headline after a new album, but personally I don't think she's an artist Glastonbury would go out of their way for. Reckon she'll end up topping Reading/Leeds (as a co-headliner or standalone I'm not sure) before Glastonbury touches her again (if they ever do).

The 1975 are an established headliner now, so yeah, obviously they can headline.

Dave, Lizzo, George Ezra; nope! Dave and Lizzo will no doubt end up with prominent/sub Pyramid slots the next time they play, but headlining it with another album they will not. As for Ezra, you know my take on that.

It's all well and good to say 'new artists can headline Glastonbury', but outside of Stormzy, who was the last one to do it? The British world-wide phenomenon that was Ed Sheeran? The other British world-wide phenomenon that was Adele? The then British world-wide phenomenon that was Mumford & Sons? Not a single risk taken there - three homegrown acts who were dominating here, the US, and the world at the time of being booked.

Not to say one of the acts you mentioned couldn't take a similar swoop for global success come the next album, and when that happens I'll be happy to change my tune and admit to being wrong, but at their current levels it just ain't happening.

(/rant - went on a bit there)

1 minute ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

You can't start by saying Glasto doesn't take risks anymore, and then say 'except' an artist who performed last year! 

Like I said above, 2019 was a wasteland of festival headliners, with all the 'good' ones being those who had already headlined Glastonbury too recently to be brought back. I mean, they had to give The Killers an emergency call to come and headline after Plan A and Plan B had already fallen through, and The Cure were an out of nowhere choice by anybody's estimations. It ended up being a masterstroke for Glastonbury in the end, and they clearly pumped all they could in to Stormzy's headline slot to make sure it didn't fall on it's arse, but it was still a huge risk that I don't think they'll be in any hurry to repeat in case it isn't so successful next time.

I'm fully prepared to eat my words on all of this in a couple of years time when all of the above acts start popping up at the top of the lineup, but I'm also prepared to die on this hill in the meantime 😄

• Upvote 1

Stormzy was significantly smaller at the time he was booked than any act I’ve listed above @FloorFiller 

The Stormzy booking could have flopped hard. It could have done really badly if his second album was a dud. 

In my opinion Stormzy and Metallica (for different reasons) are the biggest risks the festival has ever taken.

For Glastonbury to have taken their biggest risk only on the last festival that went ahead kinda punctures a whole in your ship 

Dua could headline fairly soon if her star keeps growing the way it has been.

In late 2017/ early 2018 she had one of the biggest hits of the year with New Rules, then did it again a few months later with One Kiss.

Got two different arena tours under her belt.

Future Nostalgia is a critical and commercial success, it's probably a matter of when not if at this point.

• Downvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Contrary to what I earlier thought, looks like Dua is pulling a Carly-Rae and possibly releasing a whole new album/side B of Future Nostalgia, or at least some kind of new material coming sooner rather than later - enough new stuff to hold people over until 2022, according to her.

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Contrary to what I earlier thought, looks like Dua is pulling a Carly-Rae and possibly releasing a whole new album/side B of Future Nostalgia, or at least some kind of new material coming sooner rather than later - enough new stuff to hold people over until 2022, according to her.

If Taylor can’t come back (which I hope she can), and Billie, Gaga, etc can’t do it, will they take a chance on Dua? She’s way bigger than Stormzy now.

Edited by Matt42

22 hours ago, Matt42 said:

If Taylor can’t come back (which I hope she can), and Billie, Gaga, etc can’t do it, will they take a chance on Dua? She’s way bigger than Stormzy now.

I'd quite like if they did. If anything I'd like to see a few new modern acts headlining like it used to always happen in the 90's. If it gets rid of some of the entitled 40-somethings who think Glastonbury should only be about reliving their youth all the better. (I say this as a 40- something but one whose sick to death of hearing that the best thing ever would be Oasis or The Stone Roses reforming). A couple of years of fresh, new of the moment headliners would be an amazing thing for the festival. 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2020 at 1:55 PM, Matt42 said:

All in for the Dua headlining party. Apparently she wrote Hallucinate with Glasto in mind, it's gonna go off. 

2 hours ago, jyoung said:

Would definitely be one of the biggest OS headline sets in recent memory. Would've been the perfect alternative to Macca as well.

I think if Dua headlined the other stage in 2021 it would take the title of the biggest act to have ever headlined that stage.

I’m leaning towards her being bumped up to Pyramid sub now. Maybe she’s more than happy to remain in her OS slot, and vs. Macca she’s not gonna be in trouble of it being overfilled, but she seemed like a huge deal when she was initially booked and she’s even bigger now, and we know they’ve lost some big name Pyramid subs.