Dua Lipa

CaledonianGonzo

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

but the simple way to solve things is to answer the direct questions posed isn’t it ?

There's some pop I like. All rather old now - because I try to avoid the worst of pop (and thankfully it doesn't often make a festival stage) - but acts with tracks I like include Sugababes, and Girls Aloud. Sorry I don't keep pop acts at the top of my memory.

Another way of proving me wrong might have been for someone to offer up a great Dua Lipa track.  I'm wondering why that hasn't happened. :P 

Just now, eFestivals said:

There's some pop I like. All rather old now - because I try to avoid the worst of pop (and thankfully it doesn't often make a festival stage) - but acts with tracks I like include Sugababes, and Girls Aloud. Sorry I don't keep pop acts at the top of my memory.

Another way of proving me wrong might have been for someone to offer up a great Dua Lipa track.  I'm wondering why that hasn't happened. :P 

personally I like one kiss and its great (for me)  because its catchy a bit cheesy and fun  ... thats my take .... Not a case of its Happening .... there is my choice :) 

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Dont start now and physical are both great tracks imo.

Can you elaborate on what you like about those sugababe/girls aloud tracks that you enjoy? And what it is about the dua tracks you dont? As stuff like Hole In The Head and Sound Of The Underground arent a million miles away from some dua tracks imo

The relationship between quality and pop music is an interesting thing to think about. I think that particular genre sometimes gets a pass from me even when I know it's probably awful, because I enjoy a bit of cheese sometimes, or because of where I was at in life at a particular point (hence all the nostalgia acts coming back).

I can appreciate total arses like G*ry B*rlow are capable of penning a solid pop tune, and I can enjoy this absolute monstrosity - one of the first albums I ever bought, so therefore a 'time of life' attachment. I refuse to be ashamed.

JasonDonovan_Greatest_Hits_album.jpg

On 2/5/2020 at 7:27 AM, eFestivals said:

absolutely feckin' dreadful. All the quality of the worst plastic pop music of the last 40 years.

also see: Robyn.

Guuuuys you can tell he's trolling when he put Robyn in. Which he well knows is a red rag to the bulls of defending "proper pop music" (i.e. myself back when posting on her was more fun). Just ignore.

46 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'm a big fan of Be The One. I do think that one is a wee bit different and has a great hook.

Taking Physical, I'd agree that it doesn't offer anything groundbreaking or anything like that, but I think it's a well performed piece of 80s throwback polished cheese.

On (what I believe to be) your standards I'd say Physical probably isn't a great track. But by the standards of something catchy that I could imagine having a boogie to, it's good.

In general I think it's fair to say that you get some absolute garbage in all genres, not just "pop" :D

Physical is a complete banger and I know I am not the only one who cant wait to hear it on the farm.  Be The One is also a banger.

Add in Don't Start Now, One Kiss, New Rules, Hotter than Hell, Electricity, IDGAF,  Blow Your Mind, Lost In Your Light 

And a new album still to come....

I think she will smash it.

May not be different or groundbreaking... but who really gives a f**k - it will be a set full of Solid Gold Pop Bangers. 😁

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/dua-lipa-and-madonna-collaboration-could-be-on-the-way-2698459

Looks like either a new album or a special edition of future nostalgia is on its way. With a big feature?

Doesn't say anywhere in that article about a new album or special edition? Just that she's thinking of starting work on new music, but considering how well Future Nostalgia is still doing I doubt we'll be getting anything new any time soon. Expect a new album to come in the usual 2 or 3 year timeframe. 

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Doesn't say anywhere in that article about a new album or special edition? Just that she's thinking of starting work on new music, but considering how well Future Nostalgia is still doing I doubt we'll be getting anything new any time soon. Expect a new album to come in the usual 2 or 3 year timeframe. 

I imagine if she is going to release new singles there will probably be a special edition of future nostalgia as it’s still the future nostalgia era.

5 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Shes spoken about previously that she wants to release a deluxe version iirc (and there is still that Normani collab floating around). I doubt there'll be as many reissues as her debut, but I would be suprised if there aren't any

I’m really interested what will happen with her and Glastonbury. She has held her spot as the 4th most streamed artist in the world since March, and she is without a doubt one of the biggest U.K. artists about.

If she releases some more even bigger singles before June 2021 I really don’t know how they can justify her headlining the Other stage anymore. She will soon become the biggest artist to be booked to headline the Other stage.

Up against Macca it would work fine, but I think if she’s put against a replacement headliner, or someone smaller than Macca - it could actually run the risk of getting a bigger crowd than the pyramid headliner.

Some will come in and say that it’s not like that at all, but it will be something the festival will have to think about if she continues growing as she is.

In terms of taking a chance on a British artist to headline, she’s astronomically bigger than Stormzy when he was booked to headline, and miles ahead of Dave in terms of readiness. 

Edited by Matt42

Just now, Matt42 said:

I’m really interested what will happen with her and Glastonbury. She has held her spot as the 4th most streamed artist in the world since March, and she is without a doubt one of the biggest U.K. artists about.

If she releases some more even bigger singles before June 2021 I really don’t know how they can justify her headlining the Other stage anymore. She will soon become the biggest artist to be booked to headline the Other stage.

Up against Macca it would work fine, but I think if she’s put against a replacement headliner, or someone smaller than Macca - it could actually run the risk of getting a bigger crowd than the pyramid headliner.

Some will come in and say that it’s not like that at all, but it will be something the festival will have to think about if she continues growing as she is.

Suppose it will be up to her/her team, but if they feel she's outgrown that slot then they could easily just put her in one of the two/three seemingly now absent Pyramid sub slots. No biggie really, although I do feel she'll return to headline Other and still be up against Macca.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Suppose it will be up to her/her team, but if they feel she's outgrown that slot then they could easily just put her in one of the two/three seemingly now absent Pyramid sub slots. No biggie really, although I do feel she'll return to headline Other and still be up against Macca.

I can see her pulling out and waiting to be asked to headline personally. She would have had a big show production wise in mind for the Other stage that wouldn’t work in the daylight on the pyramid.

I’d like to see her move to a pyramid sub but I do feel a bit robbed for this other stage headline production she would have had in the pipeline!

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I can see her pulling out and waiting to be asked to headline personally. She would have had a big show production wise in mind for the Other stage that wouldn’t work in the daylight on the pyramid.

I’d like to see her move to a pyramid sub but I do feel a bit robbed for this other stage headline production she would have had in the pipeline!

Eh, although she's gotten huge and only getting bigger, I can't see her making such a bigheaded move as to bail on the festival and then expect to be asked back to headline. If she wants to headline in the future then surely staying on the festivals good side is the way to go?

15 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Eh, although she's gotten huge and only getting bigger, I can't see her making such a bigheaded move as to bail on the festival and then expect to be asked back to headline. If she wants to headline in the future then surely staying on the festivals good side is the way to go?

If they have acts in the pipeline already for 2021 the festival might welcome it. It might just be Emily getting excited but if an act is willing to wait a bit they might like that.

if the news about the 1975 is true it sounds quite similar to what is going on with them.

Edited by Matt42

9 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I doubt shes already signed a contract to come back next year, so I dont see how just not taking a booking that you are too big for would be bigheaded/put you in the bad graces of Emily....

Just now, Mattymooz said:

I doubt shes already signed a contract to come back next year, so I dont see how just not taking a booking that you are too big for would be bigheaded/put you in the bad graces of Emily....

That's a good point, but I still think she'll be back. There's no way her team didn't anticipate how big she was gonna get/could've gotten with her new album full of radio ready bangers, and regardless of if she's too big for the slot, a televised Other Stage headliner slot of her knocking it out of the park at Glastonbury is only a good thing. Maybe she already had other stuff lined up for next year - who knows - but if it comes down to a simple 'do you want to play the same slot in 2021 you were supposed to play this year?' then I think it'll be a yes from her. She's risen up the Glastonbury lineup. She gets it.

22 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah “I’m bailing now but feel free to give me the headline slot later” is not a good look.

Depends on how much they're hoping / expecting / offering that people will come back for next year I guess.  If the fest isn't that hot on getting everyone back for next year, it'll make no difference if she opts out.

If they're actively trying to get people back and she can't make it because of commitments or scheduling, fair enough.

If they're trying to get people back and she holds out for a better slot, not such a great look.