Leaving camper van fields/ traffic

wilby-wilbert

Just wondering has anyone any experience with getting out of the camper van fields on Monday morning and then the traffic situation. We are hoping to get a camper van ticket in the resale and would then have a drive to get a ferry back to ireland. Is there usually a long wait to get out of the fields and is the traffic then bad at say 9 on monday morning?

I have to warn you Wilby, if its a muddy one it can be hellish trying to get out on Monday morning. They have a fleet of tractors towing cars+caravan and campervans, you can spend hours and hours without moving. That is the worse case scenario.

If you can't miss your ferry and it is a muddy one it will be best to stay sober and drive out Sunday afternoon/evening.

However... it'll be sunny this year, so you'll be fine - I would aim to leave before 6am though, anytime after 8 onwards and the long queues form ;)

For the last 5 years or so, I have gone in a campervan and I have always left between 6am - 7am and have always been fine and out of the area well before 8am.

Also a couple of years ago it was well muddy and the tractors were in full flow throughout the Sunday so I decided not to drink and left after the final act on the Pyramid. There was a bit of a wait for a couple of hours back at the van waiting for a tractor to come but it was a good decision as the Monday would have been hellish.

Just bear that in mind if the weather is shit, you might have to forgo the Sunday session!

I usually go dry for the sunday... with the exception of last year (the line-up was too good not to enjoy with a few beers) and try to set offf from CV East by 07:00.

Last year about 09:30 it was a lot worse than normal..

I have once packed up on the sunday and left after the last act of the evening... That was a hideous drive home (to Cambridgeshire) towing a caravan.... dont try that if you can help it.. I would rather have 4 hours kip, get up with the larks on Monday, pack up and leave by 06:00 if its a wet one... Of course, that depends how far youve got to travel..

What ever you decide... have a great festival.! im envious.

1 hour ago, BlueDaze said:

Last year about 09:30 it was a lot worse than normal..

What is a lot worse than normal?  How long until you got onto the main roads?

Swifty on the Pyramid is going to be the highlight of my weekend, so will be having some drinks and don't want to be rushing off too early.  I am staying in CV East Quiet and then have booked the Liverpool - Belfast Ferry that departs at 21:30 Monday evening.  Do you think leaving around 9:30 would be okay given dry conditions like last year?

Thanks

i

22 hours ago, circus92 said:

What is a lot worse than normal?  How long until you got onto the main roads?

Swifty on the Pyramid is going to be the highlight of my weekend, so will be having some drinks and don't want to be rushing off too early.  I am staying in CV East Quiet and then have booked the Liverpool - Belfast Ferry that departs at 21:30 Monday evening.  Do you think leaving around 9:30 would be okay given dry conditions like last year?

Thanks

I would say a couple of hours to get onto the A37 versus 30 mins... The queue was mostly in the fields themselves... you just move inches at a time.

i imagine you have 200 miles ahead of you? dependant on your vehicle maybe 4-5 hours, an hour for a refreshment stop..that has you there between 18-19:00... 

If it pisses down with rain and you get yourself totally banjaxed, then you may make Tuesdays ferry...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

I would say a couple of hours to get onto the A37 versus 30 mins... The queue was mostly in the fields themselves... you just move inches at a time.

i imagine you have 200 miles ahead of you? dependant on your vehicle maybe 4-5 hours, an hour for a refreshment stop..that has you there between 18-19:00... 

If it pisses down with rain and you get yourself totally banjaxed, then you may make Tuesdays ferry...

Thanks for that - very helpful reply 👍  So all sounds good for a 9:30am departure, unless the weather turns in which case I will need to adjust leaving time a bit.

I presume you are trying in the resale?

1 hour ago, circus92 said:

Thanks for that - very helpful reply 👍  So all sounds good for a 9:30am departure, unless the weather turns in which case I will need to adjust leaving time a bit.

I presume you are trying in the resale?

I am in the resale club with the rest of the good folk on here... we shall see.

but i still advise trying to get yourself off early... aim for 08:30, you know it makes sense.

23 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

I am in the resale club with the rest of the good folk on here... we shall see.

but i still advise trying to get yourself off early... aim for 08:30, you know it makes sense.

8:30 it is then - can’t be dealing with too much stress on Monday!

Really hope you get lucky in the resale 🤞

• Upvote 2