Nostalgia acts for the 50th?

Ayrshire Chris

Spent the last few nights browsing through our sky planner looking at all the Glastonbury tv coverage since 2013. (When I got the current sky box). It strikes me that the BBC must have an extensive archive of Glastonbury. Surely this year is ideal for a series of documentaries around glasto time celebrating the 50th. 

Meanwhile still hoping we get Ray Davies or the Kinks this year! 

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 1:51 PM, Matt42 said:

Pet Shop Boys

Skunk Anansie

Levellers

Cat Stevens

Fun Lovin Criminals

Supergrass

The Libertines

Sinead O Conner

Susanna Vega

all fit this criteria 

Now this (that's?) is (was?)more my era.

There's a great article in this months Q magazine about how a lot of the bands I liked back in the day just don't get invited to festivals any more (though all of the above are probably exceptions). Butlins Weekenders are where it's at apparently.

15 hours ago, eFestivals said:

mostly I do, but it tends to be music produced from about 1984 onwards. Even Talking Heads went shit then. 

I'll raise you The Anti Nowhere League:

4 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Spent the last few nights browsing through our sky planner looking at all the Glastonbury tv coverage since 2013. (When I got the current sky box). It strikes me that the BBC must have an extensive archive of Glastonbury. Surely this year is ideal for a series of documentaries around glasto time celebrating the 50th. 

Meanwhile still hoping we get Ray Davies or the Kinks this year! 

Maybe they (The BBC) have something planned?

There used to be loads of whole sets on YouTube that I don't seem to be able to find any more. Strikes me that the beeb may have been throwing their copyright ownership clout about in the last few years. You still get the odd major hits from sets. But they will have, "This is officially from The BBC", plugs plastered all over them.

I've pointed this out on efests before ; The BBC are sitting on loads of great archive material. All of those Rock Goes To College, TOGWT, TOTP, LWJH and even the likes of Cheggers Plays Pop performances. And dozens more. (Seaside Specials?)

Anyone remember Get It Together with Roy North (The Man Who Never Blinked) on ITV?

And Channel 4 with The Tube...

I used to religiously tape (yes that's how old I am) the BBC's festival coverage (amongst tons of other stuff I was into). Boxes full of VHS's I have. It would take more than the rest of my lifetime to go through and catalogue them. More than half of them are probably unfortunately unlabelled.

Loads of stuff on old hard drives that I've moved on from as well.

I was thinking I could throw this stuff away. As it would inevitably all end up online.

This seems maybe to no longer be the case.

Is it possible that the copyright lawyers have reclaimed control? Which is a bastard as I really could do with decluttering. Both physically and digitally.

Sorry. Went off on one.

/rant.

Sorry. Went a little off thread.

Yes The Kinks (I have form here) and yes another BBC Documentary and yes heritage acts

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Maybe they (The BBC) have something planned?

There used to be loads of whole sets on YouTube that I don't seem to be able to find any more. Strikes me that the beeb may have been throwing their copyright ownership clout about in the last few years. You still get the odd major hits from sets. But they will have, "This is officially from The BBC", plugs plastered all over them.

I've pointed this out on efests before ; The BBC are sitting on loads of great archive material. All of those Rock Goes To College, TOGWT, TOTP, LWJH and even the likes of Cheggers Plays Pop performances. And dozens more. (Seaside Specials?)

Anyone remember Get It Together with Roy North (The Man Who Never Blinked) on ITV?

And Channel 4 with The Tube...

I used to religiously tape (yes that's how old I am) the BBC's festival coverage (amongst tons of other stuff I was into). Boxes full of VHS's I have. It would take more than the rest of my lifetime to go through and catalogue them. More than half of them are probably unfortunately unlabelled.

Loads of stuff on old hard drives that I've moved on from as well.

I was thinking I could throw this stuff away. As it would inevitably all end up online.

This seems maybe to no longer be the case.

Is it possible that the copyright lawyers have reclaimed control? Which is a bastard as I really could do with decluttering. Both physically and digitally.

Sorry. Went off on one.

/rant.

Sorry. Went a little off thread.

Yes The Kinks (I have form here) and yes another BBC Documentary and yes heritage acts

The BBC are sitting on loads of great archive material.

You Knows it.

15 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

The Beautiful South have headlined Glasto?

By the way, has anyone got a good playlist for Heaton & Abbot? They seem to be quite active this year so maybe I should start listening....

In 1999 as far as I know. waiting for someone with actual info though...

Heaton released a Greatest Hits called the Last King of Pop covering The Housemartins, TBS and PH&JA, which is basically their current gig setlists before the new album.

Edited by fightoffyour

13 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I thought someone cancelled one year it was pissing it down and they stepped in then as well?

As far as I know the only act to get promoted like that (and the story is near enough an exact match) was Ash in 1997, so you might be thinking of them?

Edited by incident
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Yes The Kinks (I have form here) and yes another BBC Documentary and

The bbc archive of Glastonbury must be extensive, in recent times all the i player stuff that becomes unavailable after July, past festivals, news archives from further back. Would be nice for the 50th if they were preparing a series of docs and classic sets .  

13 hours ago, incident said:

As far as I know the only act to get promoted like that (and the story is near enough an exact match) was Ash in 1997, so you might be thinking of them?

I think Oasis stepped in 1996. Their first Pyramid headline slot, I think it was. The Stone Roses guitarist, John Squire, had broken his arm. So the Stone Roses had to cancel their Pyramid headline, debut, set. Oasis took over and stole the show!!

Ever since then people have hoped that The Stone Roses would announce another headline slot. In the hope that John Squire might have more accidents and Oasis might play more.

5 minutes ago, stt11 said:

I think Oasis stepped in 1996. Their first Pyramid headline slot, I think it was. The Stone Roses guitarist, John Squire, had broken his arm. So the Stone Roses had to cancel their Pyramid headline, debut, set. Oasis took over and stole the show!!

Ever since then people have hoped that The Stone Roses would announce another headline slot. In the hope that John Squire might have more accidents and Oasis might play more.

It was Pulp that took over The Stone Roses' headline slot in 1995. Oasis were already confirmed to headline.

1 minute ago, henry bear said:

It was Pulp that took over The Stone Roses' headline slot in 1995. Oasis were already confirmed to headline.

Oh yes it was!!! Definitely my mistake that!!! Now you've reminded me I think I recall Jarvis Cocker bragging about it a lot, in all his radio and television interviews. I don't know where I got Oasis from. 

I hope people don't down vote me for that, my votes have slowly been on the up!!!!

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

I have to say, I’m a really big fan of this.

I won’t see them all, but inviting Sinéad, Suzanne, the Mondays and Skunk back - who are all quite uncommon bookings, and some had memorable but rocky performances - is a nice touch.

Add that to Gilberto Gil’s history with the farm, plus as many Screams/Noels as you like, and that was my main surprise on the poster drop today. It feels like an anniversary!

On top of the former headliners it was also heavy on “friends” of the festival - Fatboy, Elbow, Dizzee, Jarvis...

5 hours ago, henry bear said:

Of the acts on the new 2020 poster, 7 are previous Pyramid headliners (not counting the likes of Jarvis, Thom, Noel Etc):

Macca, Happy Mondays, Manics, Primal Scream, Sinaed O’Connor, Skunk Anansie, Suzanne Vega

I have the festival to thank for introducing me to Suzanne Vega, some years ago in the Acoustic, I’d welcome the chance to see her again.