Nostalgia acts for the 50th?

Ayrshire Chris

Being the 50th can we expect to see a few acts from the distant past putting in an appearance as a celebration of this special year?  Obviously we must always look ahead and reflect recent and current bands but with the publication of the book it would be nice to see a few of the acts that performed in the early days as part of the recognition of the start of the festival we have today. Bands like Fairport Convention, Levellers have their own festivals now but would love to see them turning up. Steve Hillage, Melanie (the voice isn’t the same but she’s such a part of the early days) . And most of all would be great to see the Kinks or at least Ray Davies turn up! I still see they are still on the rumours page so 🤞 

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

There was a lot of talk about them reforming this year, but it seems to have fizzled out.

Yes sadly it seems to have. As a 13 year old in 1970 I saw Marc Bolan and T Rex play in Glasgow, they were the Kinks  replacement, the nearest I got to the first  Glasto. 

3 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Al Stewart, for very good reasons: firstly he performed at the first one in 1970, and he's still active and touring (In the USA up until late May), I can't see how they would omit him!

Good shout, might even be nice to try and get one act to represent every year of the festival. An act that played that year. Many will be playing anyway

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Good shout, might even be nice to try and get one act to represent every year of the festival. An act that played that year. Many will be playing anyway

That would be really cool. They could even get some former headliners that now aren't so big. The Psychedelic Furs have got a show in May, so they could potentially show up I think

Another vote for Cat Stevens... he's at the Cambridge Folk festival this year.

For a bit of nostalgia plus a helping of cheese, how about The Wurzels?

If I remember right didn't they cancel late one year because they thought The Bandstand venue was beneath them (just gossip?)

Then I think they may have played since but I definitely missed them.

Bloody Hell, imagine them playing on a makeshift stage out of a tractor trailer at the Cider Bus!

"I am a ciderr drinkerr, I drink it for most of the day - ohh R ooh R aye!

No? maybe not then ;)

1 minute ago, fred quimby said:

Pink Fairies

Though a mate saw them recently and said they were a bit rubbish

Twink!  Never seen them but they have a few songs on the Glastonbury triple album.  Their first two albums were decent 

That’s a bit of a sore point with me. I had an original copy of the triple album, complete with booklet, pyramid , sleeve in perfect nick but had to sell a lot of my vinyl to help fund buying a pram for my first born!  Sold it via a free add in Melody Maker for a fiver. Original pressing, perfect condition it would be worth quite a bit now but if I still had it I would never sell it now.  I only hope who bought it cherishes what they got.!