Tyler the Creator for Glasto?

GrooveCity

1 hour ago, AlexOvd said:

Based on? 😃

Probably just his tour schedule.

Playing Lovebox and Parklfie in June, playing Longitude in Ireland on July 4th, so he's still in this part of the world around Glastonbury.

Played Glasto before and was shit, isn't the kind of artist that bothered about big fees (i.e. doing his surprise pop-up gigs that are free/cheap, like the Peckham gig last year that got cancelled because of overcrowding).

Only real obstacle is where he's placed on the lineup. He's a festival headliner, so it's about whether he would accept subbing Kendrick, Headlining WH or Headlining Other (which would be an unusual booking for glasto)

On 2/1/2020 at 6:02 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

People keep talking about needing big guns / big draws vs. what's on the Pyramid, but they've never really needed to do that before. Look at what was scheduled vs. the Stones, Adele, U2, etc.

I don’t think many acts want to go up against artists like that anyway. Guaranteed a smaller crowd than you could of had at a different time.

51 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Probably just his tour schedule.

Playing Lovebox and Parklfie in June, playing Longitude in Ireland on July 4th, so he's still in this part of the world around Glastonbury.

Played Glasto before and was shit, isn't the kind of artist that bothered about big fees (i.e. doing his surprise pop-up gigs that are free/cheap, like the Peckham gig last year that got cancelled because of overcrowding).

Only real obstacle is where he's placed on the lineup. He's a festival headliner, so it's about whether he would accept subbing Kendrick, Headlining WH or Headlining Other (which would be an unusual booking for glasto)

See I love him, he's great but he is no where near a Glastonbury level headliner over here, if people are questioning Kendricks ability to do it then Tyler is a long ways off. Less album sales, less single sales, less critical acclaim. I think he would make a fantastic sub headline on the Other stage but I really don't see him there this year. 

Not every act can play. There's got to be some that just aren't playing no matter what their touring schedule looks like. 

1 minute ago, Mouseboy11 said:

I’m not sure, looking at the 2013 poster he’s fairly down the lineup for the John Peel but he might have done

Yeah he was low on the poster but he ended up subbing the stage in the end. He got bumped up as Yonkers was pretty big at the time.

He also got a pretty decent sized crowd even then.

Also it was a solo set as earl sweatshirt didn’t show up.

Edited by Matt42

22 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

See I love him, he's great but he is no where near a Glastonbury level headliner over here, if people are questioning Kendricks ability to do it then Tyler is a long ways off. Less album sales, less single sales, less critical acclaim. I think he would make a fantastic sub headline on the Other stage but I really don't see him there this year. 

Not every act can play. There's got to be some that just aren't playing no matter what their touring schedule looks like. 

No sorry, I wasn't suggesting he's a glasto headliner, just that he is now, globally, a festival headliner.

But that is unfortunately at odds with his position in the context of glastonbury, which I see as the only real barrier to him being there - where to place him/where he would accept being placed.

For the record I think headlining WH would be perfect for him, it's just feels a little bit of Stepdown in terms of profile after headlining Lovebox, Longitude and Parklife.

Edited by MaxPower

16 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

No sorry, I wasn't suggesting he's a glasto headliner, just that he is now, globally, a festival headliner.

But that is unfortunately at odds with his position in the context of glastonbury, which I see as the only real barrier to him being there - where to place him/where he would accept being placed.

For the record I think headlining WH would be perfect for him, it's just feels a little bit of Stepdown in terms of profile after headlining Lovebox, Longitude and Parklife.

Ahh okay miss judged. I personally feel he'll be back headlining the Other stage off his next album and it'll be a phenomenal show. 

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah he was low on the poster but he ended up subbing the stage in the end. He got bumped up as Yonkers was pretty big at the time.

He also got a pretty decent sized crowd even then.

Also it was a solo set as earl sweatshirt didn’t show up.

Yonkers came out around 2 years before that so not sure that's the reason, he'd moved onto his Wolf phase at that point.

I saw him a few months before he got banned and it was amazing, guy gave it everything. That was the Cherry Bomb tour so he's obviously pivoted pretty heavily since then so I have a renewed interest in seeing him, if he does play he'd be high up my list - tho I'm not holding my breath.

6 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

where do I start with tiler the creator ? 

images-1.jpeg

If you're serious, 

His Discography:

- Goblin & Bastard , the infamy that started it all. The mixtape and album brought a shock factor for their time, getting him banned in the UK and Australia for a while as they (Teresa May no less) dubbed his music "encourages violence and intolerance of homosexuality” and “fosters hatred with views thats seek to provoke others to terrorist acts”.  Think about edgy teenagers, but cockroach eating for a music video edgy

- WOLF was pretty much an A tier, great album of rap and tyler's persona. less rapey, more funny and musically sound.

- Cherry Bomb was Tyler's first attempt at his new style. Pretty experimental to what came before, a lot of people don't think it's that great but i personally thing it's better than just fine. Pretty decent imo.

- Flower Boy is probably the best jumping on point. He found his groove with what he had to say, and how he made unique beats that worked for his style. He started maturing about here!

- IGOR , while not an exclusively rap album, its probably his biggest departure when it comes to his work. Fantastic album in it's own right, possibly the best break up album in the past decade.

Anyways, I suggest listening to Flower Boy, WOLF and IGOR. If you like them, check his other stuff out! 

Edited by GrooveCity
  • Upvote 2

Just now, GrooveCity said:

If you're serious, 

- Flower Boy is probably the best jumping on point. He found his groove with what he had to say, and how he made unique beats that worked for his style. He started maturing about here!

- IGOR , while not an exclusively rap album, its probably his biggest departure when it comes to his work. Fantastic album in it's own right, possibly the best break up album in the past decade.

- WOLF was pretty much a A tier, great album of rap and tyler's persona. less rapey, more funny and musically sound.

- Goblin & Bastard , the infamy that started it all. The mixtape and album brought a shock factor for their time, getting him banned in the UK and Australia for a while as they (Teresa May no less) dubbed his music "encourages violence and intolerance of homosexuality” and “fosters hatred with views thats seek to provoke others to terrorist acts”. 

- Cherry Bomb was Tyler's first attempt at his new style. Pretty experimental to what came before, a lot of people don't think it's that great but i personally thing it's better than just fine. Pretty decent imo.

Anyways, I suggest listening to Flower Boy, WOLF and IGOR. If you like them, check his other stuff out! 

I was semi serious ... cheers ill have a listen :) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, priest17 said:

Yonkers came out around 2 years before that so not sure that's the reason, he'd moved onto his Wolf phase at that point.

I saw him a few months before he got banned and it was amazing, guy gave it everything. That was the Cherry Bomb tour so he's obviously pivoted pretty heavily since then so I have a renewed interest in seeing him, if he does play he'd be high up my list - tho I'm not holding my breath.

I remember the UK was pretty late getting on the Tyler hype. I discovered him through tumblr back in the day and I remember in the initial lead up to the festival he wasn’t exactly an act that lots of people were gunning to see.

22 hours ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Tyler could probably headline John Peel at a push couldn’t he? They put The Streets in there

He’s surely not subbing the pyramid and I would say he’s around where Lorde was when she subbed the other?

Much bigger than John Peel. He definitely could do a pyramid sub currently I reckon, with Kendrick headlining.