Pyramid Subs 2020

Chrisp1986

6 minutes ago, sisco said:

HAIM, Robyn or Supergrass (only because of other positions at festivals).  Can’t see anyone else who’ll possibly be doing it. 

Dont see Supergrass getting the gig at all. Mid-Pyramid or high Other for them.

4 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I think Haim make more sense for that than Robyn. 

Yeah they fit right in the Vampire Weekend bracket sub wise so unfortunately think they’re more likely for this as well now that I think about it.

2 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

Would say that Haim have gotta be around the same size, if not smaller than the likes of Two Door and COurteeners who subbed the other last year. Reckon they'll be 4th/5th ish on Pyramid personally.

If they are around the same size as those bands, then they’re around the size of bands who can sub headline a major UK festival.

Like, they have a couple of strong-selling albums now and sold out Ally Pally twice in one morning on the last tour; the only reason they’re not an obvious choice is because they’ve been lowballed for a long time. Now they’ve ascended to headlining Latitude and this festival is looking to give acts with a female presence their due as well so it makes more sense than frantically trying to book alt-J.

6 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Is Alt-J free on Sunday?... seems like they would kinda be due a return

There's only one direction Alt-J are heading and it sure ain't up to sub positions at major fests. 

Think this is gonna be a classic case of everybody wondering/hoping if somebody will get added when actually it just ends up being Haim. And yeah, what dental said. Haim are clearly thought very fondly of in the festival scene and this new album expected to do pretty well. Wouldn't be at all far off Tame Impala or Vampire Weekend subbing before them, and it wouldn't surprise me if Taylor nudged Emily towards them being given the gig.

16 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

If they are around the same size as those bands, then they’re around the size of bands who can sub headline a major UK festival.

Like, they have a couple of strong-selling albums now and sold out Ally Pally twice in one morning on the last tour; the only reason they’re not an obvious choice is because they’ve been lowballed for a long time. Now they’ve ascended to headlining Latitude and this festival is looking to give acts with a female presence their due as well so it makes more sense than frantically trying to book alt-J.

Latitude was headlined by Snow Patrol last year who were due to play 3rd down other last year, Solange who played low down etc. Wouldnt say them headlining that would rule them out of playing a lower set at Glasto.

Feel like a lot of the arguments against alt-J could be used against Haim too except alt-J are starting off as a far larger band. Wouldnt say them subbing would be too dissimilar to vampire weekend - a band subbing past there best cause there arent really any better options.

I would be shocked if they got launched up all the way up to sub considering how low they played last time and how much of a nom event their second album was (and how their third is going, despite how much I love Now I'm In It it isnt exactly growing their audience).

17 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

There's only one direction Alt-J are heading and it sure ain't up to sub positions at major fests. 

Think this is gonna be a classic case of everybody wondering/hoping if somebody will get added when actually it just ends up being Haim. And yeah, what dental said. Haim are clearly thought very fondly of in the festival scene and this new album expected to do pretty well. Wouldn't be at all far off Tame Impala or Vampire Weekend subbing before them, and it wouldn't surprise me if Taylor nudged Emily towards them being given the gig.

Id say Vampy weeks are a lot larger than Haim and VW were a weaker sub when they played (Tame Impala are defo a week sub). Robyn has a far stronger claim to sub than Haim and even she would be on the smaller side.

Ad much as this forum likes snobbing on bands like alt-J, they havent played in the uk in a while (last gig was headlining boardmasters iirc). Im not suggesting theyd be the strongest booking, but wouldnt be suprised if it happens (same as how I was expecting Elbow to sub) 

Im also pretty drunk right now so maybe my judgement is clouded but Haim have not really made an impact since their first album (other than pulling funny faces at the Brits), cant see them suddenly being launched to subheadline anytime soon.

Even just lookin at Spotify - Alt-J have about 1 mill more monthly listeners than Haim and have been MIA for ages (whereas Haim are promoting a new album including big american tv talk show performances).

4 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

Also - Haim are playing Saturday

Ah well nice to settle that one then!

Looking good for Robyn in that spot unless they plan on announcing somebody else, or we’re just totally off our game on this one.

Suppose there’s still that guy claiming Biffy are playing...

Edited by FloorFiller

9 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Ah well nice to settle that one then!

Looking good for Robyn in that spot unless they plan on announcing somebody else, or we’re just totally off our game on this one.

Suppose there’s still that guy claiming Biffy are playing...

Royal Blood too.

Haim played the other in 2017 against the killers... I think they should be given the bump to the pyramid but agree I dont think it would be subbing. But there is the Taylor connection which would make sense. If its saturday though I would guess mid afternoon on the Pyramid.