Kids at Glastonbury - tips/tricks/life hacks

Stu H

For those mad/brave enough to take your younger kids (i.e. 7 or 8 and under), do you have any tricks you've discovered / life hacks to make it easier?!

I've been to 6 without kids and 2017 was my first with a child, a then-3-month-old. It was actually reasonably straight-forward.

2020 I'll have a 3 year old and a near-1-year old. A different ball game altogether!

One of the best things we did in 2017 was to cover the buggy in fairy lights so at night you could see us from a mile away. It made getting through busy crowds really easy.

5 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

No kids myself but always thought getting your mobile number onto them somehow was a good move in case they got lost. Maybe a dog-tag / medallion they could wear, or DIY stick-on tattoos. "If found, please phone...." etc.

Absolutely - heard of quite a few people who do this. That's my one major worry; the 3 year old wandering off in a crowd!

6 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

No kids myself but always thought getting your mobile number onto them somehow was a good move in case they got lost. Maybe a dog-tag / medallion they could wear, or DIY stick-on tattoos. "If found, please phone...." etc.

This would work well for 'adults' in our group aswell 

1 hour ago, maelzoid said:

Friends of ours used to just write numbers on the kids arms with a Sharpie (other indelible marker pens are available).

Never took our kids, it would have been last century and the festival not as kid friendly as it is now. It’s a joy seeing all the illuminated decorated carts and taking a wander round the kids zone. Even in the worst of weather kids always seem happy or sound asleep!

Towards the rear of the main stage fields there’s always plenty kids and their carts, even during the headliners so parents don’t miss out too much. The ID on the youngsters I would reckon is essential, I know a family who do that. They also have large  quantities of their favourite foods, snacks with them. For five days their healthy eating regime is suspended!  Kids were4 and 7 last year and Made sure they were in the shade during the hottest part of the day. Exhausted atthe end of the day and slept soundly all night 

i would also suggest for older kids, who the authorities dictate  should be in school, they will learn a lot more about life, society, the environment etc at the festival than they would spending a few days in school. Just my opinion. 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

would also suggest for older kids, who the authorities dictate  should be in school, they will learn a lot more about life, society, the environment etc at the festival than they would spending a few days in school. Just my opinion. 

Definitely true - just try getting school to accept it!

Edited by semmtexx
  • Upvote 1

We've taken kids. They were 5 and 3 or so (now 10 and 7) when they went last. Few things have stopped us. Mostly because it's in term time but also they are now older and bigger so harder to lug around in a trolley and they definitely want to go to bed earlier than me and definitely want to get up a shit tonne earlier than I do!!

Edited by semmtexx

33 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

Thinking I should write a contact number on my arm

An adult friend of ours does that... just in case!

Another one writes the address of our villa / hotel on his leg before venturing out for the night on holiday :rofl:

• Like 1

Just now, HeyPorter said:

My sister and 6 year old niece dressed identical with the same hairstyle everyday of the fest last year, so looking for her ‘mini-me’ would’ve been a touch easier if she did wander. 

Fuck bumping into them after being elbow deep in your party bag.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

keep those eyes peeled for people with medical bracelets / necklaces ..... sometimes drunkenness isn't quite what it appears initially ....

Very true, I would much rather take a bit of verbals from someone who maybe has had a wee bit too much to drink than think I had walked passed and ignored someone in real distress.