How many tents can you fit in...

DJL

... a 37metres by 32 metres space.

OK I know it's random and off topic but I probably consider this forum's views on all things camping (and festival) related above all others and hopefully I can get a conclusive answer swiftly before this thread becomes obselete and forgotten/deleted.

We're getting this married this summer and have part of a field (37 netres by 32 metres) where we and our guests (all adults, mainly couples) can camp. They can choose to:

A - BYO tent 

B - Glamping for a 4 metre bell tent  2-4 people

I can do the maths on the latter but have no idea what proportion of spaces are needed between the tents.

Please, thank you and sorry (Neil).

1 hour ago, DJL said:

... a 37metres by 32 metres space.

OK I know it's random and off topic but I probably consider this forum's views on all things camping (and festival) related above all others and hopefully I can get a conclusive answer swiftly before this thread becomes obselete and forgotten/deleted.

We're getting this married this summer and have part of a field (37 netres by 32 metres) where we and our guests (all adults, mainly couples) can camp. They can choose to:

A - BYO tent 

B - Glamping for a 4 metre bell tent  2-4 people

I can do the maths on the latter but have no idea what proportion of spaces are needed between the tents.

Please, thank you and sorry (Neil).

Hmm so this link says a 4 person tent floor area is 65 feet square 

https://www.sierra.com/blog/camping/right-tent-size/

Triple it to take account of guy ropes and space between tents etc gives roughly 195Sq Ft for a 4 person tent. 

37m x 32m is about 12700 Sq Ft.

Which would work out at about 65 4 man tents.

I think, how's my maths?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I am able fit inside most tents. Do I win a prize? No? Maybe just a rosette then? Because, a rosette is not a true prize. Well, that would be the case if it were only for one thing - a rosette knows full well that it can be a prize. 

As an aside, I agreed with my wife 5 minutes ago,  that I will construct a rosette for her. It is to say 'Best at Jollies, upbeats, and dancing'. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Triple it to take account of guy ropes and space between tents etc gives roughly 195Sq Ft for a 4 person tent. 

I think, how's my maths?

Thank you, that's really useful. I have more faith in your maths than mine!

I'd think that would be somewhere in between an inside the fest style camping (because it is fairly tight) but with Worthy View uniformed layout needed? Other folk may be less keen on the people closer together means more atmosphere feeling that I get :)

Fortunately we won't need that many so I'm feeling a bit more confident we can get creative with the layout a bit... 

15 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

I think, how's my maths?

I reckon a better way to do it, presuming the space is broadly rectangular is - 

Average tent (given 2 minutes search on GoOutdoors and Decathlon), 3 person = 280cm x 200cm, 4 person = 430cm x 260cm.

So for 3 person tents:

• Loose pack (150cm space between, which is actually quite a bit) = 8 tents x 9 tents = 72
  • Medium pack (100cm space between, so like a step, will probably need to finesse the guy ropes a bit) = 9 tents, by 10 tents = 90 tents;  Note, you can finesse this layout by pitching tents the other way round, giving 12 x 9 = 96.
  • Tight pack (50cm space between tents - this are well close, but I've seen tents this close often at festivals...) = 11 x 12 = 132

For 4 person :

• Loose = 7 x 9 = 63
  • Medium = 8 x 11 = 88
  • Tight = 9 x 13 = 117

Neatly, this comes up with about the same number as you did, for the same spaced out setup :)

I reckon your main issue will be getting people to not pitch their own tents like absolute numpties.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lycra said:

The answers begins with how many people are you looking to accommodate? Twenty could each have their own tent. One hundred or more could get very cosy, especially after the drinks been flowing 😉

Ha ha. I'd say it is  a lot closer to 20 than a hundred.  

There are a hundred guests but some live cose enough to get a cab home, others may choose an expensive room in the village pub or get a cab to a nearby B and B. Need to estimate what shared (subsidised) costs and layout might be before people commit. 

Maybe 40, in which case there'll have plenty of space?

3 minutes ago, DJL said:

There are a hundred guests but some live cose enough to get a cab home, others may choose an expensive room in the village pub or get a cab to a nearby B and B. Need to estimate what shared (subsidised) costs and layout might be before people commit. 

Are you sure your guests would be up for camping at a wedding?  Especially if these other options are available.  I know what Mrs P would say to me if I suggested she get ready in a tent for wedding!

Also need to remember a 4 person tent will physically fit 4 average people laying like sardines with no baggage. 

It’s only a single night but people will want to bring bags plus you’ll also need a lot of shower/bathroom/dressing space too. Potentially could need a dedicated area if the event area is away from civilisation  

I work in design and spend a lot time drawing up cutting patterns for cnc machines so I have a lot of experience fitting shapes together if you need assistance drawing up plans. 

47 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Also need to remember a 4 person tent will physically fit 4 average people laying like sardines with no baggage. 

Yep - I did calculations on 3 or 4 person tents, presuming this is what any reasonable couple owns...

Surely no-one actually tries to have 2 people in a 2 person tent!

2 hours ago, jfaragher said:

I reckon a better way to do it, presuming the space is broadly rectangular is - 

Average tent (given 2 minutes search on GoOutdoors and Decathlon), 3 person = 280cm x 200cm, 4 person = 430cm x 260cm.

So for 3 person tents:

• Loose pack (150cm space between, which is actually quite a bit) = 8 tents x 9 tents = 72
  • Medium pack (100cm space between, so like a step, will probably need to finesse the guy ropes a bit) = 9 tents, by 10 tents = 90 tents;  Note, you can finesse this layout by pitching tents the other way round, giving 12 x 9 = 96.
  • Tight pack (50cm space between tents - this are well close, but I've seen tents this close often at festivals...) = 11 x 12 = 132

For 4 person :

• Loose = 7 x 9 = 63
  • Medium = 8 x 11 = 88
  • Tight = 9 x 13 = 117

Neatly, this comes up with about the same number as you did, for the same spaced out setup :)

I reckon your main issue will be getting people to not pitch their own tents like absolute numpties.

Wait, will you marry me instead? Thanks, very helpful indeed :)

1 hour ago, Padgey said:

Are you sure your guests would be up for camping at a wedding?  Especially if these other options are available.  I know what Mrs P would say to me if I suggested she get ready in a tent for wedding!

I don't to be honest. It's a complicated equation of:

+ How much they can put up with/enjoy camping/glamping (there will be access to a bathroom to get ready on the day)

- How motivated they are to go elsewhere

+ How tight they are

- How much faith they have in getting a cab in the Derbyshire countryside at midnight :)

If they don't camp it is a field with our tipi plus a stone circle in it (and I would be very happy with that) :)

Edited by DJL

On 1/22/2020 at 1:24 AM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I am able fit inside most tents. Do I win a prize? No? Maybe just a rosette then? Because, a rosette is not a true prize. Well, that would be the case if it were only for one thing - a rosette knows full well that it can be a prize. 

As an aside, I agreed with my wife 5 minutes ago,  that I will construct a rosette for her. It is to say 'Best at Jollies, upbeats, and dancing'. 

Focus Focus Focus - You don't have time to bloody post on Efest

You need to focus in on TODAY 

Tick-tock !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, DJL said:

I don't to be honest. It's a complicated equation of:

+ How much they can put up with/enjoy camping/glamping (there will be access to a bathroom to get ready on the day)

- How motivated they are to go elsewhere

+ How tight they are

- How much faith they have in getting a cab in the Derbyshire countryside at midnight :)

If they don't camp it is a field with our tipi plus a stone circle in it (and I would be very happy with that) :)

I went to a wedding where they did camping. Verrrrrry few people took them up on it. We did, like 😃

• Upvote 1