Golden Oldies photos thread

Crazyfool01

On 2/2/2020 at 8:08 AM, eFestivals said:

uhhh?? There was no need to climb over the fence at night in 95. Several huge sections of fence were brought down on Wednesday afternoon.

Yeah it was down already top of King's. Dunno where this pic was taken but theyre making a rid for themselves...

1 hour ago, shuttlep said:

I drove up Thursday night, I picked up a friend in Liverpool and then we travelled down, all the way talking about this and that. when i arrived someone told me Michael was dead, i told them to fuck off.. only for my mate who i had been sat in a car with for the best part of five hours to pipe up "oh yeah i forgot to tell you that "

how can anyone go that long and not mention it . I knew about her fucking auntie cat dying , but Michael oh no why would i want to know that  

And the t-shirts were ready and being sold on site literally hours later!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinhead said:

Yeah it was down already top of King's. Dunno where this pic was taken but theyre making a rid for themselves...

It was facing the second stage, probably the first bit of the fence from the car park and couldn’t be bothered walking round.

I had a ticket but a few on the bus didn’t, they got in via a guy who was selling the UV stamps for £20 a go.

On 2/2/2020 at 10:56 AM, crazyfool1 said:

any luck digging out those photos ? :) 

OK. Dug them out.

In 1995 I remember for sure that I had a photo taken of me by the meeting point outside where Leftfield was located, holding up a newspaper with the headline "John Major Resigns". And, "it's not there", (do you see what I did there?). I'll try to remember to enquire the next time I see the bloke who I know for certain took said photograph if he has said photograph.

Wow. I was, and still am, one appallingly shit photographer. From dozens of prints there are very few that are worthy of posting here. And none of them were very good. And these are photographs of photographs taken by a crap photographer :P

Apologies in advance:

1995. On the way there.:

2020-02-05-000125.jpg.e43c84fba43b754d9fd3c1109f3cc51b.jpg

Definitely 1995:

2020-02-05-000206.jpg.056ab352656a4bcdcd4abd21ce53266a.jpg

Our campsite. Just look at the amount of space. Enough room for a campfire. With provided firewood gathered from near Gate A (I think. They may have had colours names then). This is Pennards. Really close to the railway line, pretty much dead opposite what was the then NME stage and is now crew camping.

2020-02-05-000233.jpg.85e8be133a5122ab7df3c8161253799a.jpg

Sacred space. Again. Look at the space. 

(Don't know what happened here. Needed to rotate the above couple of photographs but seem to have done others. Tilt tour heads or something ;))

2020-02-05-000309.jpg.78de26c6d5ff2da11048258b095c749e.jpg

Pyramid Stage (It definitely is. Look it up). It was hot that year. I've never seen the place so dry since. Look at that grass. Parched it is.

2020-02-05-000334.jpg.2e6b5596806d880c338091f3f78954cc.jpg

Same from further back. That's taken from pretty much where I try to camp now. Good old Row Mead. It's being reduced in size again this year

2020-02-05-000403.jpg.05b383c604b286974890ba52ef53e591.jpg

This is what most of my photographs end up looking like. That's Portishead in The Acoustic believe it or not (that supporting marquee strut is a give away). Every time anyone took a photo they got water thrown at them. I guess the band hated flashes.

2020-02-05-000441.jpg.e0b9f4ff7f76df6fc16a5e3c705d5dc5.jpg

Wow. The next one's done a whole 180' rather than just a '90. Stand on your head or turn your monitor upside down. Also from Portishead. Posting this as another example of what most of my photos from 1995 look like. Trying to get band shots and just getting heads.  I know nobody in this photograph, despite the amount of people looking directly down the lens. I am so bad at photography. And posting old photographs on the internet obviously.

2020-02-05-000508.jpg.2cb0eb0ece90d827db8e01aafcd3dfc1.jpg

Ten years later.

Two from 2005.

This is what I woke up to on the Friday. It doesn't do the situation justice. Framed by my tent door because it was pissing down and I was hardly dressed and fuck that.

This is from Row Mead. Right near the path we were. Stage right (that's looking up).Directly down from the longdrops/sinks (the pylon gives it away). I'd previously argued that we shouldn't camp directly down from the longdrops/sinks Near the path fine, but not down from the sinks. Bad move. All that run off. Let's camp five metres that way.

Five metres away, that's a river/almost a waterall. Not just a puddle.

2020-02-05-000535.jpg.bd38377f67ddfa73bfe2592f87f29e72.jpg

Rotate your heads. Pennards the next morinng;.

2020-02-05-000557.jpg.93c0703686d873ccb9d35856e43c6e30.jpg

• Upvote 2

They are great pics Mr Zigster. A true insight into the then and now of the festival.

It has absolutely transformed in the last 25 years..some of the change is good and some not.

Thanks for sharing.  A-framed "scout" tents everywhere. Back in the day when you could buy tents in about three or four places. Army and Navy, Millets, Blacks and one or two more. Or drag the one your dad purchased in 1972 out of the loft.

Love them thanks @MrZigster ... I do like the windmill on the squashed pyramid stage ... good to see the green efforts back in those days ... and yes the festival does have a large carbon impact ... but I do wonder how much of this has been offset over the years by educating people ... totally unmeasurable I know :) 

6 hours ago, EasyUserName said:

The red Ford seems to have lasted until 1997 (not taxed after April) but the Vaxhaul (Carlton?) didn't last the year out (not taxed after 1st December 1995).

Just got you there it seems!

And back. Nice work. The car on the right got a ticket on the way back for jumping a red light. Had no choice or we would have got lost as it was following the red car in front which had just made it through in time. Robot traffic lights were pretty new at the time iirc. I think they split the fine.

The guy on the left still drives a Ford Transit that he has had for about thirty years. It's a really distinctive green and you can see him coming a mile off. For some reason I was convinced that we had gone up in that 'till I dug out those photos. Funny how you can misremember things. Hope I'm not going senile just yet.

I do remember that he taught me the trick of removing the starter motor fuse. You do want your car to definitely still be there when you get back to where it should be on the Monday don't you. Unfortunately with the car I have now said fuse is in a too much hassle to access spot so I just leave it to the gods these days, but I used that tip for years.

6 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Tried posting some pics from 2004 but it didn’t work 😔

Took me ages to work out. Despite having done it before.

The pics are on my PC as jpegs. At the bottom of the text window there is a paperclip with:

I just clicked choose files and selected said pics from the PC. I didn't think it had worked but then noticed that it was putting the pics as thumbnails at the bottom of the text window, and that you then had to hover over them and click the + symbol to add them to the post.

Hope that makes sense. I wish it was just Copy & Paste.

Really appreciating the appreciation for those pics.

That Portishead gig was mad. There was a right crush getting into the field and I swear they cut down trees to make the exit/entrance wider during the gig so that the same thing didn't happen on the way out. And that Dando bloke...

The earliest year that I have photos from '86. Here's me with the missus. Cost two quid for a Polaroid pic with the snake. In those days animals were a common sight there,everything from dogs and cats to goats and oxen.

Wow, did we look young and beautiful! Loved my long leather waistcoat.

a snake pikton 86.jpg

Edited by Sawdusty Surfer