Golden Oldies photos thread

Crazyfool01

2004 or 2005 waiting for Brothers bar to open in the morning and get a couple of 2 litre bottles of cider... that day they stopped selling them , that was  a dark day . i hadn't been to bed at that point  and had no plans to do so any time soon.

the photo was taken by a friend as they walked past on their way to get breakfast and saw me sat there

pear cider phil.jpg

30 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

2004 or 2005 waiting for Brothers bar to open in the morning and get a couple of 2 litre bottles of cider... that day they stopped selling them , that was  a dark day . i hadn't been to bed at that point  and had no plans to do so any time soon.

the photo was taken by a friend as they walked past on their way to get breakfast and saw me sat there

pear cider phil.jpg

Those 2 litre bottles were great (although not so much for the leaving no trace effort ) I remember walking across to that bar to get some stock for the tent ... the stock never made it back ... along with me ... did they stop during a festival then ? 

Edited by crazyfool1

Up to 1990 we'd been able to drive our bus in sans tickets and do pretty much what we liked. After the riot in '90 all changed, no festival in '91 and so in '92 we knew that we had to come up with a plan. We had a shonky old home made stage that we used to take to free festivals and I managed to blag Arabella C that it would be suitable for the outside theatre stage. The audience couldn't see juggler's clubs at the top of their flight and people riding tall unicycles were out of sight as the tent wasn't tall enough! Here it is.

IMG_20200121_161019.jpg

Edited by Sawdusty Surfer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5

3 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Those 2 litre bottles were great (although not so much for the leaving no trace effort ) I remember walking across to that bar to get some stock for the tent ... the stock never made it back ... along with me ... did they stop during a festival then ? 

Yep - they were told to pack it in cos peeps were getting 'too pissed' plus there was a boatload of underage drinkers in then Jazzworld field getting wasted as well as hundreds of blue bottles discarded.

1 minute ago, Pinhead said:

Yep - they were told to pack it in cos peeps were getting 'too pissed' plus there was a boatload of underage drinkers in then Jazzworld field getting wasted as well as hundreds of blue bottles discarded.

ah :) wasn't sure if it stopped mid festival .... or just stopped after a festival and never happened again .... was it only the one festival these existed then ? 

28 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

ah :) wasn't sure if it stopped mid festival .... or just stopped after a festival and never happened again .... was it only the one festival these existed then ? 

Yeah I think it was just that year and yes it stopped on the Friday. I think MDC reported them. People were going up to the boss of Brothers Bar and telling him about the underage and everything and he wasnt fussed tbh until they told him to stop doing them officially. After that peeps were getting the bottles, buying the pints and pooring them in or some such. Twas carnage. 

3 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Yeah I think it was just that year and yes it stopped on the Friday. I think MDC reported them. People were going up to the boss of Brothers Bar and telling him about the underage and everything and he wasnt fussed tbh until they told him to stop doing them officially. After that peeps were getting the bottles, buying the pints and pooring them in or some such. Twas carnage. 

Yep, 2004. The year I got so shit faced I didn't notice my head burning, so had to wear one hat for cushioning and one hat for shade.  Dual hatted for the first time, due to 2lr bottles of Perry.

Just now, waynewdk said:

Is this the view from Worthy View

Yeah, but before it was Worthy View. I arrived with some mates who were glamming it up offsite, great for parking. I had to carry my tent and stuff down the hill, not bad at all but carrying it back up on Monday morning was a killer.

They were further out but the bit that's now WV was MyHab before they went bust just before the (I think) 2011 festival. 

30 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yep, 2004. The year I got so shit faced I didn't notice my head burning, so had to wear one hat for cushioning and one hat for shade.  Dual hatted for the first time, due to 2lr bottles of Perry.

Was it 2004 though - my recollection is 2009 for the cider bottles scandal... Did they do them before?

28 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

24 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

The WBC were the DPS that year so they were contacted by Mendip Council and Trading standards { who deal with underage drinking and other duties } and they were going Ape shit so at first there was a ban of ' all Cider sales ' including draft in every bar - there was a problem with Brothers as there was no Licence Holder on duty and none of the staff had a clue where the Licence Holder was !!!! - its claimed that the Officials had found a whole stack of 2 litre bottles { could have been 3 litre bottles - I don't like cider so did not pay attention to it } being drunk by underage people so after a bit of a discussion that a ' festival wide ban would be imposed over the sale of 2/3 litre bottles ' and that ban started right away - The Brothers staff was unaware of the power of the DPS and at that first they were reluctant to stop the sales but it was pointed out that if they kept on selling them the DPS would shut down the whole Bar. Anyway they got the message and there has never been any sales since then.

all that took place and still they did not find their Licence Holder - I was working that night so I missed the action but I know the DPS { Terry Butkeraitis - A ex Miner - RIP } and he was shocked at how many that were really Pissed and it was clear where the problem was.

thanks for the mention @crazyfool1 and here is my first one - middle 80's

shot taking behind the old Pyramid stage ' which at that time was not fenced off ' and we were able to approach the helicopter without a pass ' as it was landing ' - the pilot got out and then was having a cup of tea but did not mind us getting close.No way even with a crew production pass could I do that now.

882601_10151489598553866_927508557_o.thumb.jpg.90f90184fbdfe89aac57d9fab8b63e4f.jpg

• Upvote 1