2020 Line-up Thread

RustySpanner

On 3/5/2020 at 12:01 PM, WM Hall said:

EOTR2020-2nd-Square-1024x1024.jpg

Pretty good!

I've seen PVA, William Doyle, Anna Meredith and Disq in the past few weeks and all have been highly impressive. Sofia Wolfson will also be be beautiful in an early slot in the Tipi. I've heard great things about Norman and Drug Sore Romeos too, but haven't managed to catch either of them as yet. I have to say that Sorry were a bit of a let down when I caught them earlier this week - perhaps just an off-night, but they seemed unintentionally messy.

The act which excites me most there though is Gwenno and Georgia Ellery (violinist of Black Country, New Road & singer/violinist in Jockstrap). I haven't heard of Bait until now, but will be sure to check it out.

11 hours ago, paulwa said:

Disq's debut album "Collector" is really good. I'm looking forward to seeing them. Young indie rockers with some great musical chops and plenty of variety.

Caught them at The Lexington in Jan (alongside Ghum, Porridge Radio and Just Mustard). They opened and were very solid for me, although slightly outshone by what came after. Not sure I've seen it that busy so early before though! I'd definitely catch them again for a second viewing, hopefully in a later slot. 

Edited by JHad

I was hopeful that given its late summer dates, EoTR might have been the first festival that I could have attended this summer after all the others have or will have been cancelled.

Sadly, don't think this will be going ahead either. 

1 hour ago, Sean1234321 said:

Don't think doom mongering about events taking place in September is very helpful.

Rumour is that Primavera is being pushed back to the weekend before EOTR so that is a good sign. 

Think it’a fair to point out to people who were on the fence about buying a ticket that there is a very real risk this won’t go ahead. They can still make up their own mind of course but a balance of views is always good.

• Upvote 1

I would think if you've made the effort to go to a message board dedicated to festivals then you probably realise that buying tickets to these things is a pretty risky business, but ok fair enough I take your point. 

Truth is nobody knows what the situation here will be 2 weeks from now, let alone in 6 months 😂

Isn't it better for us all to remain optimistic? Every year the prospect of eotr helps me get through the gloom of a British winter. I'm sure that is the case for a lot of us. The thought of being at Larmer Tree Gardens in late summer is more appealing than ever given the current state of things.

I'd rather see this forum spread cheery eotr-type vibes than put a downer on things by assuming it'll be cancelled. If people want to be pessimists then fair enough, but one of the things I love most about eotr is that it's a haven of positivity and joy, so I'm staying upbeat and hoping for the best.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Avon said:

Isn't it better for us all to remain optimistic? Every year the prospect of eotr helps me get through the gloom of a British winter. I'm sure that is the case for a lot of us. The thought of being at Larmer Tree Gardens in late summer is more appealing than ever given the current state of things.

I'd rather see this forum spread cheery eotr-type vibes than put a downer on things by assuming it'll be cancelled. If people want to be pessimists then fair enough, but one of the things I love most about eotr is that it's a haven of positivity and joy, so I'm staying upbeat and hoping for the best.

Fair enough and I hear you. Agree on how joyful the EOTR experience is. 

That said one single negative comment across 13 pages doesn’t point to pessimism. And that despite this being the greatest threat to the festival in its 15 year history. All the optimism in the world didn’t help anyone who has had their other things they cared about cancelled because of corona. 

Nonetheless I’m optimistic that the turnaround will (just about!) be in time, based on what the scientists are predicting. Feel sorry for those earlier festivals where the hope has gone but EOTR has reason to be positive.

I think the bigger hurdle will be what acts that are booked will still be playing. I assume some of those who are from the other side of the pond would be playing EOTR because they are doing other festivals in Europe. And, if they get cancelled too, it then becomes financially unjustifiable to come over just for EOTR and a few others, I would have thought.

I would think that, whilst we all metaphorically hunker down in the Winchester until this all blows over, by mid July we will be moving towards some semblance of normality. So EOTR will be fine. :)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, retromoz said:

I would think that, whilst we all metaphorically hunker down in the Winchester until this all blows over, by mid July we will be moving towards some semblance of normality. So EOTR will be fine. :)

Come back to me beginning of September and we'll see..........This will last for 12-18 months.

I have my EOTR ticket but fully expect 2021 to be when I'm next watching someone on the Garden with a cider in hand.

It's not negativism, pessimism or doom-mongering, it's realism.

Edited by Copperface