2020 Line-up Thread

RustySpanner

I have so much love for this festival and cannot express how much admiration I have for the organisers and staff for the tireless work they put in to make it happen.

We had an absolutely amazing time, saw some incredible music, met up with a load of great people and drank and ate very well indeed.

Highlights:

Warmduscher, Lice, Crack Cloud, Little Simz, Just Mustard, Wu-Lu (my word, those last few songs and the drummer's epic stagedive) Stereolab, Kikagaku Moyo, Lazarus Kane (please don't stop now), PVA.

Being back at Larmer Tree, I think this is the 15th festival I've been to on that site going back to Big Chill's in the 90's and it never loses its charm and magic.

Other stuff:

Beer was decent and I didn't miss Beavertown's wallet busting prices. 

Enough food although a couple of stalls were sorely missed. Shout out to Dosa, Curry Shed and Persian Street Food all of who were excellent.

Stranger Than Paradise. Please have them back next year instead of Rough Trade again. A proper independent shop with amazing staff. Really loved what they did this year.

The wooded area was so lovely again, it's beautiful to wander around at night when it really comes alive.

Toilets weren't up to Andy Loos standard but I didn't have too many issues as long as I took my own bog roll.

Can someone have a word with whoever picks the frankly awful music blaring from the Cider Bus on Thursday night? I love drifting off to sleep with the hubbub of festival noise in the background but when it's the only thing playing until 3am and 80% of it is utter shite it's really quite annoying.

They obviously had issues with the crew wifi which meant some places reverted to cash only. Didn't bother me as I had plenty on me but can see how it would have impacted others and also the trade of the businesses.

The people. We all know things are a bit shit in the world so a huge group hug to the amazing crowd who contribute towards make EOTR such a beautiful festival. It was genuinely heartwarming to see so many happy, smiling faces around. Big love to you all.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Great festival again and means so much to meet up with many wonderful friends. Echo everything @benaliposted along with most of the same bands. Wasn’t sure going into the Jonny Greenwood set but stood mesmerised by the skill of his players; that pianist! 

I went much too hard on Saturday finishing with Chubby and Giant Swan so was pretty well done for by 10pm last night.  Billy No Mates was outstanding as was WH Lung who I’d not seen before; Big Top was a sauna by then and even they looked like they were struggling with the heat. 

Simz was just so good; goosebumps. Had the whole crowd onboard from what I could tell down the front anyway. Will defo try to see Big Joanie again after there ace Teepee set. Oh and although some mentioned her voice or maybe the sound in the Garden stage Arlo Parks blew me away. 

• Like 2

Hope you all had a great time and get hone safely. Feeling sorry for the poor bastards that have work today!

Met up with a few eFesters - @March Hare @ShakeyCrash  @ian the worm @Losing my hair and some random girl probably not worth mentioning coz she only has two posts and 0 rep (Jk, ILY). It was fantastic, such great people and they helped make my weekend. ♥️,....

If you encountered anyone going absolutely HAM at the weekend - am talking taps aff, dancing like a madman - then it was probably me.

• Upvote 1

Still bathing in the after glow of this beautiful festival. It felt so good to be back.

highs:

WH Lung- we’d caught their Tipi set a few years ago and loved it but now they have a bigger more polished sound. They blew me away. Inspiration was immense.

Porridge Radio followed and I was hoping for good things and wasn’t disappointed. I found it so powerful that it brought a tear to my eye.

Other favourites; The Goa Express, The Umlauts, Arlo Parks (not normally my sort of thing at all), Penelope Isles and Squid.

the weather of course was unbelievably good and not even particularly cold at night.

The not so good;

Queues for food and loos. The loos generally weren’t great. The ones in the camper van field weren’t emptied on Sunday at all and were gross. I know this is likely to be just logistical challenges this year and I hope that next year we will have Andy’s loos back.

some of the headliners for me were a bit flat. I need something upbeat to keep my energy up.

Again next year, I expect a stellar line up with bands from overseas attending.

all in all an incredible experience especially after the crap we’ve all been through.

I thought I’d be cautious but in the end I just wanted to see the bands I love wherever they played and it felt quite normal - hoorah. Well done to Simon and the End of the Road team .

2 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Hope you all had a great time and get hone safely. Feeling sorry for the poor bastards that have work today!

Met up with a few eFesters - @March Hare @ShakeyCrash  @ian the worm @Losing my hair and some random girl probably not worth mentioning coz she only has two posts and 0 rep (Jk, ILY). It was fantastic, such great people and they helped make my weekend. ♥️,....

The efests meetup (that lasted the entire festival) was another highlight 

• Like 1

What a weekend! The entire festival seemed more slapdash than any of the others I've been to this summer, but am more than willing to forgive that. It's a special place. The weather helped too! 

Musical highlights for me were: Little Simz, Squid, Girl Band, Kikagaku Moyo, Mermaid Chunky, Melin Melyn, Hen Ogledd, Katy J Pearson (tipi), The Umlauts and Broadside Hacks.

Had an amazing festival once again. Weather was unbelievable obviously. Thought the loos were gonna be a nightmare when they were already in ruins by the end of Thursday night...but they seemed to up their game and wasn't really a problem after that as long as you had your own loo roll stash. Showers could have been a bit smaller i was feeling a bit lost in those huge airy cubicles. 

Loads of great music... The Comet is Coming blew me away, Arab Strap were sensational, Sleaford did a grand job on that big ol stage. Modern Nature was a beautiful vibe. 

Did William Doyle manage to sort his gremlins out... Was too hot in there for me to stick that out but really felt for him... The couple of tracks he managed to get through before i left sounded great tbf

Thread lurker here. 2nd time at eotr. 

What an amazing time we had!

The depth and variety of acts was outstanding. Everyone was super friendly and nice (it's the least littered festival I've ever been to). Lots of random chats with strangers. Seriously good food and drink. We honestly could have done it all again this morning.

Stand outs for us were Katy J, Girl Ray, Hen Ogled, Stereolab, Little Simz, all of whom should have been further up the bill than they were (apart from Stereolab obvs). And of course every garden stage recovery morning (afternoon) set. And Anna Meridith, who we'd heard and dismissed, but totally kicked it out of the garden so hard, it landed in Shaftesbury at the top of the hovis hill.  Complete surprise that one.

Yeah there were a few queues and loos problems, but nothing compared to any other festival, you guys are a tough crowd.

See you next year!

• Upvote 1

Special shout out to the half dozen people who waited more than an hour for Keeley Forsyth's signing (she was late, they weren't that committed - in fact I don't know if she turned up at all)

Such a special place any concerns (well, most, as in not the big obvious ones) drift away once you enter those grounds, especially when practically the first person you see is Big Jeff. Not sure about hiding the disco ship at the back of the forest, and (even though it enlarged the dancing area) no light-up dancefloor. Plus Campfire had How Does It Feel To Be Loved? DJing on Sunday after 11pm which I didn't see mentioned anywhere else.

If I could only pick ten from what I saw: Little Simz - what incredible timing that's turned out to be - The Comet Is Coming, Stereolab (Super-Electric in the set for, according to setlist.fm, the first time since 2000), SIPHO, Big Joanie, WH Lung, Arlo Parks, Trash Kit, John Grant, Dana Gavanski.

4 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Special shout out to the half dozen people who waited more than an hour for Keeley Forsyth's signing (she was late, they weren't that committed - in fact I don't know if she turned up at all)

Such a special place any concerns (well, most, as in not the big obvious ones) drift away once you enter those grounds, especially when practically the first person you see is Big Jeff. Not sure about hiding the disco ship at the back of the forest, and (even though it enlarged the dancing area) no light-up dancefloor. Plus Campfire had How Does It Feel To Be Loved? DJing on Sunday after 11pm which I didn't see mentioned anywhere else.

If I could only pick ten from what I saw: Little Simz - what incredible timing that's turned out to be - The Comet Is Coming, Stereolab (Super-Electric in the set for, according to setlist.fm, the first time since 2000), SIPHO, Big Joanie, WH Lung, Arlo Parks, Trash Kit, John Grant, Dana Gavanski.

The light up dance floor was in a separate area behind the disco ship. No idea if they had different DJ's to the disco ship as I only walked around there during the day.

I was waiting for the Just Mustard signing when those people were still there for Keeley Forsyth, but yeah, fair play to them for hanging around so long.

Not sure if I mentioned Just Mustard in my earlier post so now's as good a time as any because they were bloody great. As were caroline who I also didn't credit. I loved the fact the crowd were deadly silent during their gig unlike the idiots who chatted all the way through Jerkcurb and Sorry. If people aren't that bothered about the band then fuck off outside the tent and chat there. It's not like it was raining or cold and you need to be inside.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, benali said:

Guardian review here. Maybe a bit harsh on Damon Albarn but then I only saw about half an hour of his set. Can't say I've seen anyone else mention him here so far as a highlight though.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/sep/06/end-of-the-road-2021-review-little-simz-hot-chip-damon-albarn

As a favourite all-time songwriter, I was looking forward to his set the most, but was ultimately left disappointed. The Latitude show was so much better… and certainly more sober. 

Nice to see some positive heat towards WH Lung - loved their set. Also great to see some negative heat towards that silly little slut Gav  - lets be clear, id sooner buy Nigel Farage a pint.

As for Albarn, sublime. 

Edited by Wooderson
  • Upvote 1

As always a fantastic festival, with great weather, food, drink & the vast majority of people (more of which later). 

My top ten acts (in order, cos I'm anal like that!):

10. Hot Chip

9. Charlie Cunningham 

8. Stereolab 

7. Fortitude Valley 

6. The Golden Dregs

5. Shirley Collins 

4. Chubby & the Gang

3. Arab Strap 

2. Darren Hayman 

1. Katy J Pearson - the star of the festival for me. Both her main set & the late night tipi show. Also, met her wandering about & she was obviously loving the festival.

Shout outs to: Bdrmm, Jonny Dillon, Pozi, Comet is coming, Sleaford mods & Black country new road who didn't quite make the list.

Loads of stuff I loved that I knew little or nothing about but will be investigating further in the coming days & weeks.

Only one moan: Gangs of c**ts at festivals. A group of 5 blokes camped near me who seemed to have zero interest in the music. They'd obviously got a ticket just to get smashed with 'the lads' (if they're wearing fancy dress, it's usually a clue). They were singing & chanting about raping & battering women. I shouted at them to shut the fuck up, but didn't feel brave enough to confront them directly. Please don't come back you fucking tossers - fuck off to a festival that suits you or, better still, fuck off and die!

Edited by Punksnotdead
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1