2020 Line-up Thread

RustySpanner

1 hour ago, copperbottom said:

Thank you! Good question - my absolute must-sees are (clashes permitting): Jonny Greenwood (!!) Little Simz, Squid, King Krule, Richard Dawson, Hot Chip, Black Country New Road, Lazarus Kane, Wu-Lu, Sarathy Korwar, Jerkcurb, and Dry Cleaning, and others I'm excited for are Damon Albarn, The Comet is Coming, PVA, bdrmm, Yard Act and caroline. I've also heard good things about Stereolab but never had much of a listen to their stuff so will probably see them.

Good list. Fairly similar to mine. If you like Hot Chip, I see no reason why you won't like Teleman. Others I want to see are: Arab Strap, Darren Hayman, John, Chubby & the gang, Warmduscher, Shirley Collins, Penelope Isles & Katy J Pearson.

With Stereolab, I've no idea why I haven't investigated further: the 2 songs I know (French Disco & Ping Pong) are both ace! I need to dig deeper before Thursday.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Im sure its been asked many times before already, but when can we expect stage-times? Do they tend to announce it before the festival starts, or will we probably not find out til Thursday?

In previous years it's always been announced before, but I guess this isn't a normal year. Having said that, they must have printed the program by now, so surely they could announce them?

20 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

In previous years it's always been announced before, but I guess this isn't a normal year. Having said that, they must have printed the program by now, so surely they could announce them?

And the 2019 programme even had a really useful clashfinder, so yes, they clearly know the set times. Please just share them. 

12 hours ago, copperbottom said:

Thank you! Good question - my absolute must-sees are (clashes permitting): Jonny Greenwood (!!) Little Simz, Squid, King Krule, Richard Dawson, Hot Chip, Black Country New Road, Lazarus Kane, Wu-Lu, Sarathy Korwar, Jerkcurb, and Dry Cleaning, and others I'm excited for are Damon Albarn, The Comet is Coming, PVA, bdrmm, Yard Act and caroline. I've also heard good things about Stereolab but never had much of a listen to their stuff so will probably see them.

If you're into Richard Dawson, dare I mention that he's also a member of the more upbeat/poppish band Hen Ogledd.

Stereolab is always a threat to see live.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2021 at 10:43 PM, xxialac said:

Can’t wear a mask to protect others in a crowded coach as my glasses steam up. Amazing how others manage, isn’t it?

I’ve heard it all now…

No. I can't read on a bus, due to my glasses steaming up because I'm wearing a mask. 

21 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Soz to be a negative nelly but that poster is fucking vile.

Yep, I usually buy one every year, stretching back about a decade. This is the first one I'm swerving. Awful

The fetishisation of timetabling. Not sure this happens in any other industry. Its shite. **Drumroll please whilst we unveil something we've had prepared for weeks...**

You have it, publish it. If it changes, it changes. Give people a chance to plan their weekend.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

The fetishisation of timetabling. Not sure this happens in any other industry. Its shite. **Drumroll please whilst we unveil something we've had prepared for weeks...**

You have it, publish it. If it changes, it changes. Give people a chance to plan their weekend.

Maybe they dont know 100% yet? Can only imagine the madness in EOTR HQ at the moment. 

Yeah the poster is pretty depressing (global warming, barren festival, weird naked dude), hopefully not the vibe they are going for this year...?! 

Hopefully anti-mask guy is just trolling, but a minor inconvenience of listening to an audiobook is surely better than, you know, potentially KILLING vulnerable people on the bus...?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Maybe they dont know 100% yet? Can only imagine the madness in EOTR HQ at the moment. 

HQ don't have an semblance of day/time their performers are playing?! Really?! So travel, transport, security, load in/out, hospitality etc all working off drafts? Nah.

Bands have been told - some have announced it themselves on social.

The plan is agreed and fixed at this point. Its the modern shite of tension building, hype etc. Nothing specific to EOTR either.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, The Nal said:

They will absolutely know 100%, because the people actually playing the festival need to know when to get there well in advance and so will those representing them, printing the programmes, building the site etc.

The thing is, obviously I'd like the stage times before 6pm (or whenever) on Thursday but some festivals, including Green Man, don't release them at all and rely on you to buy the programme. It's not like they usually release them weeks in advance, even in the old normal of 2017 and 2019 they were only issued six days ahead.

I remember the big Irish festivals would closely guard the timetable times... never releasing them to force people to spend the money on the programme.  They eventually stopped that carry on after getting called out about it by the media.  They still left releasing them to the last second so this is not exactly new to me.

Industry wide problem. I feel the same about gigs. It seems to be nearly impossible to find out what time the band are on stage. Just fucking tell me so I can plan my evening, and work out getting transport to and from the show. I'm baffled as to why everybody seems to just accept it

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, snipe said:

I remember the big Irish festivals would closely guard the timetable times... never releasing them to force people to spend the money on the programme.  They eventually stopped that carry on after getting called out about it by the media.  They still left releasing them to the last second so this is not exactly new to me.

Yeah I remember my first Glasto getting a "free" booklet with the schedule and thinking that was unusual after paying a tenner for a program at Irish festivals. 

I dont mind not having the stage times now. We sort of know whats what. And we'll know before the gigs. Its perfectly reasonable to assume that there'll be changes up until the last minute. All of these bands, crew staff etc all still have restrictions to go through before they play. Getting gear into the country, get swabs, passenger locator forms, close contacts, flights change (as mine did for EOTR- 1 cancelled and 1 delayed) etc etc. 

Having been away last week traveling a bit (and thats just me and Mrs Nal) there are just so many moving parts. Changes can happen right up until the last minute. 

Even 10 minutes could knacker someones plans. "Oh on Monday you said they were on at 6pm but they actually came on at 5.50pm and I missed my favourite song, thanks EOTR!" etc. Sometimes they cant win. 

13 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Industry wide problem. I feel the same about gigs. It seems to be nearly impossible to find out what time the band are on stage. Just fucking tell me so I can plan my evening, and work out getting transport to and from the show. I'm baffled as to why everybody seems to just accept it

They dont really want people just rocking up 5 mins before the gig though. They want people in early preferably, watching the support band, buying booze, merch etc. I dont really have a problem with it. I kinda like the Axl Rose approach to gigs.

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

They dont really want people just rocking up 5 mins before the gig though. They want people in early preferably, watching the support band, buying booze, merch etc. I dont really have a problem with it. I kinda like the Axl Rose approach to gigs.

That's their problem though, I've bought a ticket, should be my choice. You don't go to a restaurant and get told 'you can't have a dessert if you haven't finished all your vegetables'. 

1 hour ago, goldengirl said:

Hopefully anti-mask guy is just trolling, but a minor inconvenience of listening to an audiobook is surely better than, you know, potentially KILLING vulnerable people on the bus...?

I wasn't trolling. I'm not anti-mask. I will wear a mask on the bus, as I do on local buses. It was a gentle joke about a minor inconvenience this causes me.

Your post is a nasty spiteful misinterpretation. 

1 hour ago, Mardy said:

That's their problem though, I've bought a ticket, should be my choice. You don't go to a restaurant and get told 'you can't have a dessert if you haven't finished all your vegetables'. 

Haha true. Is there that much variation though? Im going to Los Bitchos in February and Im fairly sure they'll be on between 9pm and 9-15pm 6 months ahead.