2020 Line-up Thread

RustySpanner

3 hours ago, The Nal said:

Squid are great fun live. 3 or 4 absolute bangers and high energy aswell. 

It looks like the may be clashing with Field Music which is a major bummer. 

Squid were fantastic at GM, and packed out the Walled Garden stage. A SIGNIFICANT moshpit. Maybe because it was a surprise set (but not much of a surprise) they played quite a few new songs in their 45 minute slot (e.g. no Cleaner) but it received a brilliant reception. And they sounded very tight, nothing rusty about it whatsoever. Can't wait.

1 minute ago, changingman said:

Still have a sneaking suspicion Nick Cave will open the Friday on the woods. Maybe a Idiot Prayer style grand piano set. Relatively easy to set up, he's 20 minutes down the road anyway. 

You know it makes sense. 😂

Nah.

It’s a Portishead reunion and a Daft Punk secret set in the Cider Bus.

3 minutes ago, riverlodge said:

Squid were fantastic at GM, and packed out the Walled Garden stage. A SIGNIFICANT moshpit. Maybe because it was a surprise set (but not much of a surprise) they played quite a few new songs in their 45 minute slot (e.g. no Cleaner) but it received a brilliant reception. And they sounded very tight, nothing rusty about it whatsoever. Can't wait.

I only caught the second half of their set and couldn't really get near enough to enjoy it properly. Did Martha Skye Murphy join them for Narrator? They finished with that at Latitude and it was a level above an already impressive set. 

I'm hoping MSM will pop up at EotR due that reason. That's why she's one of my picks for a surprise slot. 

1 hour ago, Tomos_ said:

Did anyone catch Hen Ogledd at Green Man? If so, how was it?

I did; it was pretty weird for me as I had no clue what they were about; I'd seen Richard Dawson earlier in the day and was looking forward to it. Was a really good fun vibe down the front; really enjoyed it.

2 hours ago, Tomos_ said:

Is that a new variant of bird flu? 😉

Seriously though I'm looking forward to them, particularly like "Trouble". Not quite getting Richard Dawson on his own yet though...

From today's research into the smaller bands, I'm enjoying Oldboy a lot - anyone seen them before?

12 minutes ago, Drutt said:

From today's research into the smaller bands, I'm enjoying Oldboy a lot - anyone seen them before?

What’ve you seen/heard of them? I’ve only found a few snippets on Instagram. There are several acts with the same name on Spotify etc but I don’t think any of them are the right one.

Intriguing... Not many clues in the eotr description: ("We don’t know much about oldboy but what we do know they rule.") At least I'm forewarned it may not be what I'm expecting! 

Shame as I'm trying to hunt down a few more bands that will get my toes tapping rather than chin scratching... Melin Melyn fitting the bill. Any recommendations for more smaller "uplifting" acts welcome...

3 hours ago, JHad said:

I only caught the second half of their set and couldn't really get near enough to enjoy it properly. Did Martha Skye Murphy join them for Narrator? They finished with that at Latitude and it was a level above an already impressive set. 

I'm hoping MSM will pop up at EotR due that reason. That's why she's one of my picks for a surprise slot. 

Dunno about GM but she did join them at Latitude. Squid were also very good there. And MSM was good on the piano stage in 2019.

9 hours ago, Tomos_ said:

I really enjoyed their set.

They were down to a 3 piece because Rhodri was Covid isolating so there was a bit of improvisation going on but they were clearly having a good time and that seemed to transmit itself to the audience. 

Hopefully back to full strength for EOTR. 

Slow day, I'm getting a bit desperate for set times... 😬

In the mean time, I've finished listening to and rating the whole lineup - based on their three songs with the most listeners on last.fm in the last year, which is a formula I've been using for a long time for no particular reason. Here's the upper bit of my list, if anyone wants something to look at while they wait for the SET TIMES COME ON ALREADY

9/10
Hen Ogledd
Little Simz
Richard Dawson
8/10
John Grant
The Comet Is Coming
Warmduscher
7/10
Dana Gavanski
Girl Ray
Jonny Greenwood
Stereolab
Teleman
6/10
Alice Boman, Anna B Savage, Anna Meredith, Auntie Flo, Balimaya Project, Billy Nomates, Dry Cleaning, Hot Chip, Jane Weaver, Jonny Dillon, Lonelady, Penelope Isles, Vanishing Twin
5/10
Ahmed Fakroun, Aoife Nessa Frances, Arab Strap, BABii, Big Joanie, Caroline, Crack Cloud, Fenne Lily, Field Music, Gwenifer Raymond, Gwenno & Georgia Ellery, Jerkcurb, Jim Ghedi, JOHN (TIMESTWO), Katy J Pearson, Kikagaku Moyo, Pozi, Red River Dialect, Sarathy Korwar, Sleaford Mods, The Golden Dregs, The Umlauts, Trash Kit, William Doyle, Zulu Zulu

• Like 1

1 hour ago, actionstations said:

Slow day, I'm getting a bit desperate for set times... 😬

In the mean time, I've finished listening to and rating the whole lineup - based on their three songs with the most listeners on last.fm in the last year, which is a formula I've been using for a long time for no particular reason. Here's the upper bit of my list, if anyone wants something to look at while they wait for the SET TIMES COME ON ALREADY

9/10
Hen Ogledd
Little Simz
Richard Dawson
8/10
John Grant
The Comet Is Coming
Warmduscher
7/10
Dana Gavanski
Girl Ray
Jonny Greenwood
Stereolab
Teleman
6/10
Alice Boman, Anna B Savage, Anna Meredith, Auntie Flo, Balimaya Project, Billy Nomates, Dry Cleaning, Hot Chip, Jane Weaver, Jonny Dillon, Lonelady, Penelope Isles, Vanishing Twin
5/10
Ahmed Fakroun, Aoife Nessa Frances, Arab Strap, BABii, Big Joanie, Caroline, Crack Cloud, Fenne Lily, Field Music, Gwenifer Raymond, Gwenno & Georgia Ellery, Jerkcurb, Jim Ghedi, JOHN (TIMESTWO), Katy J Pearson, Kikagaku Moyo, Pozi, Red River Dialect, Sarathy Korwar, Sleaford Mods, The Golden Dregs, The Umlauts, Trash Kit, William Doyle, Zulu Zulu

immense piece of work. quite like that I can't stand all the 9/10s 😛 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1