2020 Line-up Thread

RustySpanner

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

Horseshite.

😃

Genuinely, I'll argue this forever, PGG is a thrilling ride, full of darkness and light, GMF is his finest song, Glacier is astonishing, and the title track is brilliant as well. It's just a complete work of art that album. QoD is too in thrall to the Midlake influence. JG hasn't yet got the confidence to do his own, unique thing. I like Midlake well enough, but they're not exactly thrilling. it's all so one-paced, worthy and in thrall to the idea of being 'classic' that it fails to achieve that. PGG is when he stretches himself and absolutely fucking soars.

3 hours ago, goldengirl said:

Hope someone sets up a WhatsApp for the secret shows, it was useful in 2019 🙂

Also worth following Paul Bridgewater (from Line of Best Fit) on Twitter, he usually tweets about secret performances/piano stage etc.

18 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Genuinely, I'll argue this forever, PGG is a thrilling ride, full of darkness and light, GMF is his finest song, Glacier is astonishing, and the title track is brilliant as well. It's just a complete work of art that album. QoD is too in thrall to the Midlake influence. JG hasn't yet got the confidence to do his own, unique thing. I like Midlake well enough, but they're not exactly thrilling. it's all so one-paced, worthy and in thrall to the idea of being 'classic' that it fails to achieve that. PGG is when he stretches himself and absolutely fucking soars.

Pale Green Ghosts is a super record, and Glacier is his (imo) finest moment. But Queen of Denmark's songwriting is better. I think its a timeless end to end masterpiece.

Don't think I've listened to the Midlake record in over a decade so it's influence doesnt enter into the space for me. Listening now, can see tonal and textural overlap, sure.

12 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Allmusic (who have intoduced me to loads of cool new shit over the years) must've been on the sauce when they rated his records

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/john-grant-mn0000218781/discography

Had a quick glance there. Innaccurate at best and homophobic at worst. Shite all told.

29 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Allmusic (who have intoduced me to loads of cool new shit over the years) must've been on the sauce when they rated his records

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/john-grant-mn0000218781/discography

That’s hilarious. I always thought of Allmusic as a reliable indicator of the consensus as to an act’s best records, but this is the work of some dumb MFs. Glacier is ‘Scissor Sisters inspired’!?

15 minutes ago, eagles69 said:

No rough trade records this year.  Looks like stranger than paradise instead

wonder who's doing it then, cos there's still a 'record shop' marked on the map.

Ah, sorry, I read that wrong, couldn't parse it, all clear now. Thanks

Edited by Mardy
pure stupidity

Aha

32 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

That’s hilarious. I always thought of Allmusic as a reliable indicator of the consensus as to an act’s best records

Yeah me too, usually very good. Reviewer seems like some butthurt Czars nerd. Kinda person who wouldve slated Ram because its not the Beatles. 

Edited by The Nal