2020 Line-up Thread

RustySpanner

2 hours ago, Sean1234321 said:

On the website it says if you leave the site and come back you will need to either retake a read test or show your covid pass - is the assumption that this only applies if you actually leave the festival altogether? Surely if you just pop back to your car then that is allowed? 

If so how do they at the wristband exchange know which people have actually left and who has just gone to their car? Do they usually have people at the site exit too? I have never actually left the site mid-festival so I don't know, although I may be this year. 

Not sure, but if you were to take and register an LFT just before entering first time around wouldn't you, in theory, be able to use that same proof again within 48 hours? i.e, if you arrived an Thursday, you could pop to get supplies on Saturday morning and show the same text/email/app. 

12 minutes ago, JHad said:

Not sure, but if you were to take and register an LFT just before entering first time around wouldn't you, in theory, be able to use that same proof again within 48 hours? i.e, if you arrived an Thursday, you could pop to get supplies on Saturday morning and show the same text/email/app. 

Yes I think you're right actually, I didn't consider that.

3 hours ago, Sean1234321 said:

On the website it says if you leave the site and come back you will need to either retake a read test or show your covid pass - is the assumption that this only applies if you actually leave the festival altogether? Surely if you just pop back to your car then that is allowed? 

If so how do they at the wristband exchange know which people have actually left and who has just gone to their car? Do they usually have people at the site exit too? I have never actually left the site mid-festival so I don't know, although I may be this year. 

Other festivals are doing / have done the COVID status checks immediately before ticket/wristband checks ie at entry into the campsites so yeah they've got no useful way of distinguishing between those that popped back to the car and those that popped to Bournemouth. Going back to the car means a new proof of status.

21 minutes ago, JHad said:

At other events, although they've all said "48 hours" on the web site, in practice it actually operates as looking for the date to be the same day or the day before as dicking around over exact times to hit the full extent of the 48 hour window is too much hassle. I'm sure that anyone arguing the point on that would win, but would also expect that the initial reaction on the gate is going to be "Thursday is too long ago, you need a new test".

Better just to use vaccination status as proof if you can yet.

17 minutes ago, incident said:

Better just to use vaccination status as proof if you can yet.

100 %. I queued for hours to get my second dose after 4 weeks and keep a paper copy of my certificate in my wallet these days, just in case! Far less anxiety-inducing than having to test for every single event. 

11 minutes ago, RedRockRick said:

It's inevitable that I and, I assume, many people will be back and forth to the car: my camping stuff on its own comprises two trips. I also use the car as a semi-wardrobe for shirt changes, etc. I think they will simply have to accept this is going to happen and be prepared for it.

The FAQs suggest that the QR readers will be what's used mostly and outside of busy times that should be pretty swift I would think. 

35 minutes ago, JHad said:

100 %. I queued for hours to get my second dose after 4 weeks and keep a paper copy of my certificate in my wallet these days, just in case! Far less anxiety-inducing than having to test for every single event. 

End of the Road aren't accepting those cards - you'll need to use the app. 

23 minutes ago, Declan said:

End of the Road aren't accepting those cards - you'll need to use the app. 

Imyreferring to the official covid pass certificates you get in the post from the NHS rather than the vaccination card. They're the paper alternate to the app, complete with QR code. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SighMo said:

We camp near to the main entrance and regularly nip through to the camper van area to get water and use the toilets/showers. Don’t the camper van peop,e have to go through here every time as well?

Yep.

ps CV facilities are great.

2 hours ago, simoneng_1983 said:

When do we reckon the day splits will be announced. I really need to plan 😞

Would’ve been done way before now in normal times. I think they’ll let this week’s COVID handling news settle in for a few days and deal with questions arising from that before announcing something new. So perhaps towards the end of next week is likely in my view. 

4 hours ago, simoneng_1983 said:

When do we reckon the day splits will be announced. I really need to plan 😞

I was convinced it was going to be this week! They seem to do things on Thursday's (I think?) and a reasonable amount of their crowd will be at GM next week, so they might lose some traction there. No idea how important these things are at this point to a sold out festival. I'm beginning to think they might just let us all find out when we arrive! 😮 

As an ardent planner and meticulous clashfinder I have to admit I'm not at all fussed that the set times are late this year. Yes, it'd be nice to have them and get to plan but I know which acts I definitely want to see and am just excited at the prospect of being at a festival. The line up is obviously weaker this year and so I imagine the need for intense planning and time management will mostly be suspended. 

• Upvote 1

Asking the question no one probably wants to tackle but What's the feeling on the ground in the UK about going to a music festival in a pandemic? How dumb an idea is it really?

I was lucky and got a ticket back in May when it felt this was on the way to being shaken out. However I'm getting increasingly worried about Delta after having some chats with a lad who had a narrow miss even with vaccines in the mix. 2 vaxxed bros hed contact with are sick. Someone else here was also saying a fair few he knew vaxxed have got it.

We'd be flying over from Dublin and on the coach from Bristol after a couple days there.  The trip is the big worry for me and we'll kn95 mask ourselves for it but herself has said she's not up for the tent stages already and I'm worried I'm being selfish wanting this. I'm pfizered, she's astrazenecad.

I'm sure most of us are "vaccinated! let's go" but I want to hear from people who've canned this this year or are on the verge of doing so for Covid fears. What's your thinking?

Regardless I'll offer herself the let's skip if she wants it. At this point the info is for me to try get a real feel of the risk.  Anyone I say in Ireland that I'm going to music festival looks at me like I'm a dumbass. That I follow with "it's called End of the Road" doesn't help.

13 minutes ago, snipe said:

Asking the question no one probably wants to tackle but What's the feeling on the ground in the UK about going to a music festival in a pandemic? How dumb an idea is it really?

I was lucky and got a ticket back in May when it felt this was on the way to being shaken out. However I'm getting increasingly worried about Delta after having some chats with a lad who had a narrow miss even with vaccines in the mix. 2 vaxxed bros hed contact with are sick. Someone else here was also saying a fair few he knew vaxxed have got it.

We'd be flying over from Dublin and on the coach from Bristol after a couple days there.  The trip is the big worry for me and we'll kn95 mask ourselves for it but herself has said she's not up for the tent stages already and I'm worried I'm being selfish wanting this. I'm pfizered, she's astrazenecad.

I'm sure most of us are "vaccinated! let's go" but I want to hear from people who've canned this this year or are on the verge of doing so for Covid fears. What's your thinking?

Regardless I'll offer herself the let's skip if she wants it. At this point the info is for me to try get a real feel of the risk.  Anyone I say in Ireland that I'm going to music festival looks at me like I'm a dumbass. That I follow with "it's called End of the Road" doesn't help.

Fucking hell mate, a bit of perspective surely. Perhaps you don't want to hear that but it's a funny kind of risk assessment where you only want to hear from folk too frightened to go. 

You worked from home the entire pandemic by any chance? 

Of course there's always a risk... But if you're under 70, in reasonable health and double jabbed it's so tiny as not to be worth worrying about. Unless you're gonna worry about a million other tiny everyday risks aswell. 

3 minutes ago, domjon said:

Fucking hell mate, a bit of perspective surely. Perhaps you don't want to hear that but it's a funny kind of risk assessment where you only want to hear from folk too frightened to go. 

You worked from home the entire pandemic by any chance? 

Of course there's always a risk... But if you're under 70, in reasonable health and double jabbed it's so tiny as not to be worth worrying about. Unless you're gonna worry about a million other tiny everyday risks aswell. 

The risk of getting covid at a festival is not “tiny” is it. It’s quite high. 
I think it’s a reasonable approach to not want to pick up any kind of illness, even if you have been double jabbed.

• Like 1

Good question.  
Risk = likelihood x severity. 

Likelihood rises by attending (FACT).  
Severity drops by vaxes (FACT)

How each of us play this depends on your attitude to the risk. 

As this is a forum that is probably made up of active members who are planning to attend, the consensus is probably that most people here will be accepting the risk. 

I know that I am accepting the risk - ask me afterwards if I made the right decision because I am having to trust my own judgement here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snipe said:

What I think isn't really the point though is it. At the end of the day you have to do what you're comfortable with irrespective of what everybody else thinks.

If it's of any help my son flew over from the States last week to attend his sister's wedding and, despite being double jabbed, he was bricking it because of everything he'd heard about Delta. For the first couple of days he was masked up almost full time but then relaxed and by the day of the wedding was really comfortable about mixing. Everybody was asked to test before the event and so far, 3 days after, nobody has reported getting any symptoms - but of course a wedding isn't a festival.

Edited by Losing my hair
  • Like 1

It’s possible to both have no fears whatsoever about being hospitalised or death but still wonder whether it’s a good idea to put yourself in a situation where you have a reasonable risk of spending a few days in bed feeling like shit.

There’s also an existential question to think about. Is it possible that if I engage in a high risk activity like mixing closely indoors (Tipi etc), might I get infected and pass it onto someone unvaccinated which also in turn hurts the nhs.

Bonaroo music festival requires masks for indoor stages.

Edited by xxialac

58 minutes ago, snipe said:

No more dumb than going to the pub. Was on the bus, in 3 taxis and in 3 pubs last night, all fairly busy. Encountered maybe 100 people. Brewdog too so wouldve walked past/touched the same surfaces as a load of young people not vaxxed. Outdoor transmission is a lot more rare. Have to get on with life at some stage. Im off to Italy next week for a weeks worth of food and wine. If not now when? Im fully vaxxed.

Edited by The Nal
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, snipe said:

I'm not too worried about catching it at the festival itself - it's the journey there and back that bothers me more. 2 trains & a shuttle bus both ways. Difficult to socially distance on those!

Having said that, I'm prepared to take the risk as I love EOTR so much.

As a fully vaxxed person, nothing else is going to come along to protect me further at this stage. I will weigh an event/activity up in terms of risk Vs benefit. 

Clubbing for example, although fun I can go without. I enjoy pubs equally if not more. It's a fully indoor setting, so not worth the risk for me.

My favourite music festival, mainly outdoors... Definitely worth any risk. If I get covid I would stand by my decision.

It wouldn't be good for my mental health at this stage to not have some normality this summer. I am low risk because of my age/weight/health.

In terms of the ethics of giving it to an unvaccinated person, I test regularly and wear masks to shops etc. I don't have sympathy for anti-vaxxers, just the immunocompromised 😞

Edited by goldengirl
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1