2020 Line-up Thread

RustySpanner

On 6/19/2021 at 12:49 PM, eagles69 said:

The owners have spoken to the government and are very confident this is going to happen. Great news for eotr

The owners being Festival Republic, who ran May's Liverpool big top event and are responsible for the Download pilot, both of which were/are overseen by DCMS. The other festivals this weekend are organised under step 3 restrictions. Again, whether EOTR happens is not bound by individual cases elsewhere, whether it be a government-backed event at one eighth of usual capacity or whether Green Man happens (they're expecting to make a decision this week based on Welsh Government regulations/support)

(Although of course it should be added that EOTR's social media has been continuing as if there's no doubt at the moment - this is where I wonder whether the purpose of somehow getting two Culture Recovery Fund payments was to cover potential losses from early payments)

Edited by SweepingTheNation

8 minutes ago, Fareham Grecian said:

Why is it? As SweepingtheNation points out, it has no relevance or connection to EotR. 

Well they haven’t said it can only go ahead as a test event have they? If it happens on its own terms they can hardly stop others like EotR. There’s plenty of non-Festival Republic events pushing ahead for the end of July (e.g Camp Bestival).

9 hours ago, sjseabass said:

Well they haven’t said it can only go ahead as a test event have they? If it happens on its own terms they can hardly stop others like EotR. There’s plenty of non-Festival Republic events pushing ahead for the end of July (e.g Camp Bestival).

Well Kendal Calling just cancelled and they were due to be after the restart.

EOTR is in a very precarious position (unless it has got test event status)...

2 minutes ago, Nick07 said:

This is all rather confusing and inconsistent. 

Also, how would EOTR operate at reduced capacity when it’s sold all its tickets? 

It wouldn't. I think, like Green Man have stated in the past, that if any capacity restrictions are still in place, and social distancing and masks are required, they would sack it off.

EOTR are currently, as far as I can see, making assumptions that once the 19th July passes, all restrictions are lifted and they can proceed as normal. On the 12th July (if not sooner if some sections of the press are to be believed. I don't believe it, for the record), they will know what is happening. That then gives them about 7 weeks to prepare.

No events should be having this sort of "unknowing" placed on them. Events and the rest of the hospitality industry are being given a simple message. That "all restrictions will be lifted", that is what they are planning towards. Not "all restrictions will be lifted, but with caveats and some restrictions still in place". If the second statement comes true, then thousands of businesses will be fucked.

3 minutes ago, shoebox said:

It wouldn't. I think, like Green Man have stated in the past, that if any capacity restrictions are still in place, and social distancing and masks are required, they would sack it off.

EOTR are currently, as far as I can see, making assumptions that once the 19th July passes, all restrictions are lifted and they can proceed as normal. On the 12th July (if not sooner if some sections of the press are to be believed. I don't believe it, for the record), they will know what is happening. That then gives them about 7 weeks to prepare.

No events should be having this sort of "unknowing" placed on them. Events and the rest of the hospitality industry are being given a simple message. That "all restrictions will be lifted", that is what they are planning towards. Not "all restrictions will be lifted, but with caveats and some restrictions still in place". If the second statement comes true, then thousands of businesses will be fucked.

If that’s the case then why have Kendal Calling pulled their festival? Seems they are working on a different assumption 

9 minutes ago, Nick07 said:

If that’s the case then why have Kendal Calling pulled their festival? Seems they are working on a different assumption 

Because if 19 July comes around and there are still any restrictions at all, they'll have already spent the vast majority of their money because they start only 10 days after that. Whereas EotR can leave it until then to see what happens without a huge amount of additional expense, given they still have a 6 week buffer.

5 minutes ago, sjseabass said:

Because if 19 July comes around and there are still any restrictions at all, they'll have already spent the vast majority of their money because they start only 10 days after that. Whereas EotR can leave it until then to see what happens without a huge amount of additional expense, given they still have a 6 week buffer.

Seems the smaller festivals getting fucked over as per usual. 

2 hours ago, xxialac said:

Well Kendal Calling just cancelled and they were due to be after the restart.

EOTR is in a very precarious position (unless it has got test event status)...

What seems unclear is what the test event status that Kendal Calling referred to actually is or means, given it was after the date we keep being told will see all restrictions lifted and they seem to think the crucial ERP guidance is ready to go. If they're literally waiting until the Step 4 confirmation for its publication that's going to give few festivals time to prepare. Simon is not in a position to have DCMS discussions (that test event referred to in Kendal Calling's statement's going to be Latitude, isn't it?)

1 minute ago, SweepingTheNation said:

What seems unclear is what the test event status that Kendal Calling referred to actually is or means, given it was after the date we keep being told will see all restrictions lifted and they seem to think the crucial ERP guidance is ready to go. If they're literally waiting until the Step 4 confirmation for its publication that's going to give few festivals time to prepare. Simon is not in a position to have DCMS discussions (that test event referred to in Kendal Calling's statement's going to be Latitude, isn't it?)

I thought Latitude was full capacity?

Why would it need to be a test event if no restrictions in place ?

Edited by Nick07

7 minutes ago, Nick07 said:

I thought Latitude was full capacity?

Why would it need to be a test event if no restrictions in place ?

It might not need to be a "test event" if all restrictions are lifted on the 19th. But they've managed to get some contingency in place just in case by the looks of things. 

But yeah, if the testing has been completed and festivals are waiting on the publication of the results, then how can it be a "test event"? I don't think you need to read too much into things to suggest that Melvin Benn's connections and 💲💲💲 have played a huge part in this being allowed.

Otherwise all festivals would be going ahead and just stating "yeah m8, test event..."

15 minutes ago, shoebox said:

It might not need to be a "test event" if all restrictions are lifted on the 19th. But they've managed to get some contingency in place just in case by the looks of things. 

But yeah, if the testing has been completed and festivals are waiting on the publication of the results, then how can it be a "test event"? I don't think you need to read too much into things to suggest that Melvin Benn's connections and 💲💲💲 have played a huge part in this being allowed.

Otherwise all festivals would be going ahead and just stating "yeah m8, test event..."

I'm slightly confused by what the Download event was testing for - Melvin suggested when it was announced that it was part of potential outbreak planning, but it's obviously larger and more involved than the Liverpool event was while still not full capacity (though I don't know how much of the usual site was used) And yet presumably the report referred to has already been written and signed off given that in May there were reported indications that subject to entry requirements it was going to clear the way for all events.

But more broadly I still don't think we can say yet that an event the week after restrictions are dropped directly affects EOTR's chances just because there are still seven and a half weeks between the likely latest announcement date of July 12th and the festival, and they clearly have some money to mitigate against early losses should that period be extended again.

(Incidentally, I've been saying in this thread that whereas Kendal Calling among others didn't get any EOTR won two Culture Recovery Fund grants - they definitely got one in October, and the account tweeted in April that "we're thrilled to say we've been awarded our second grant by DCMS" but I can't find any other official announcement for that)

We all know that the testing events are proving nothing really, only that if you've got enough money and the right sponsors then you can go ahead with your event.

I agree that nothing that is happening right now reduces EOTR's chances of happening. What is announced on the 12th July does and it's not worth trying to second guess anything. Cling on to that optimism and hope. Deal with the disappointment if and when it happens.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, shoebox said:

Money always plays a part. 

Government left Kendal hung out to dry by looks of it. 

They are allowing Ascot, Wimbledon and Euros to happen bending rules because of money 

Edited by Nick07

5 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

(that test event referred to in Kendal Calling's statement's going to be Latitude, isn't it?)

Benn says he applied to make Latitude an ERP event but hasn't heard back and has heard nothing about the final report or insurance: https://accessaa.co.uk/melvin-benn-tells-access-he-is-very-confident-latitude-festival-will-go-ahead/

45 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Benn says he applied to make Latitude an ERP event but hasn't heard back and has heard nothing about the final report or insurance: https://accessaa.co.uk/melvin-benn-tells-access-he-is-very-confident-latitude-festival-will-go-ahead/

Not sure I believe any of that. 

He will know otherwise they would be ploughing ahead with it.