2020 Line-up Thread

RustySpanner

44 minutes ago, The60ftOctopus said:

The festival isn't until September so it's probably one of the few which could go ahead? Or am I just one wishful fool?

Unfortunately the decision needs to be made soon, not in September.

And if they get it wrong, it will bankrupt them. 

38 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Unfortunately the decision needs to be made soon, not in September.

And if they get it wrong, it will bankrupt them. 

Without really knowing how much time the EOTR team has left to make a decision, but also with the likelihood that they're risk-sharing with all the bands and concessions, I think the temptation now would be to use the new 'opening' date (19th July perhaps?) as a cut-off point. If it happens then full steam ahead. Any more delays then pull the plug.

If lockdown lifting is postponed by a month and the government doesn't underwrite/insure the costs then I don't think it will go ahead.

The same applies to all other festivals this summer; the likes of Womad and Latitude must already have paid out on a lot of their commitments. So hopefully there will be a lot of pressure on government to either allow outdoor events or come up with an insurance scheme. 

37 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

If lockdown lifting is postponed by a month and the government doesn't underwrite/insure the costs then I don't think it will go ahead.

The same applies to all other festivals this summer; the likes of Womad and Latitude must already have paid out on a lot of their commitments. So hopefully there will be a lot of pressure on government to either allow outdoor events or come up with an insurance scheme. 

The trouble is, the UK govt has shown zero interest in subsidising/insuring the sector.

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

The trouble is, the UK govt has shown zero interest in subsidising/insuring the sector.

I know but at the moment I'm clinging on to any vain hope that sense will prevail.

There's reports that if lockdown is extended then the rules will still change for weddings to allow more than 30 guests so, again in my desperate clutching at straws state of mind, they could still allow outdoor events with a form of passport/testing system.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

I know but at the moment I'm clinging on to any vain hope that sense will prevail.

There's reports that if lockdown is extended then the rules will still change for weddings to allow more than 30 guests so, again in my desperate clutching at straws state of mind, they could still allow outdoor events with a form of passport/testing system.

I think that's the only hope...but are they going to preannounce in the next few weeks that 15,000 mass events can go ahead on that basis at 100% capacity (and when cases are skyrocketing) AND are festivals going to be sure this decision won't be reversed?

5 hours ago, robith said:

Theyre allowing full attendance at the Wimbledon finals.

So the question is....is end of the road tory enough to get some preferential treatment

It’s a test event and not really comparable to a festival (it’s 2 days and fixed seating). And results of test not known until after EOTR needs to decide.

I’m not sure when the results of the Download festival pilot are due. That could be the template...

2 hours ago, xxialac said:

It’s a test event and not really comparable to a festival (it’s 2 days and fixed seating). And results of test not known until after EOTR needs to decide.

I’m not sure when the results of the Download festival pilot are due. That could be the template...

Yeah I wasn't comparing it, it was a joke

1 hour ago, timeforheroes said:

Apparently big foot fest in Warwickshire is going ahead this weekend which is a good sign

It's good, but it's not massively indicative of anything - they've been planning to operate under Level 3 restrictions for quite a while now, and it sounds like there'll be at least an element of distancing.

59 minutes ago, dpdp said:

thats the same position she randomly appeared in on the 2019 line up before she was removed.

4 hours ago, dpdp said:

7pm is a placeholder time, but her site lists the Sunday too and you'd imagine she would be sub-header, so...

The trouble with trying to make forecasts without insider knowledge about whether EOTR will happen - and they're ploughing ahead on social media as if nothing's happened - is there's no point comparing it to events always set to take part under Step 3 limitations, or those abroad, or those that aren't actually music festivals. There's festivals going ahead at the end of July; there's festivals set for September that have been postponed.

15 minutes ago, Lester_Freamon said:

I wonder if we could be getting day splits anytime soon? They were released on June 14th in 2019 and a week earlier in 2018. 

Obviously things are a bit different this year, but even so, we must be getting close.

They must know them after all so I don't see any reason whatsoever to hold them back!

This is what's happening at the Barbican - wondered whether something similar or a variation thereof might happen at EOTR:

Sat 19 Jun 8pm, Hall/Online

Join us in person or live from your home tomorrow evening as the pioneering, un-conducted string orchestra 12 Ensemble are joined on stage by composer-performer Anna Meredith and Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood to perform their own works in a genre-defying musical encounter.