2020 Line-up Thread

RustySpanner

10 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

Personally I find the whole ''proper headline set'' thing well boring. A band doesn't need pyro or whatever to be a worthy headliner. It functions as such a limiting factor in who people seem to think can be headliners or not. Sure it's nice to see a proper ''event' as a headline set but not everyone is Beyonce.

Exactly. Feist in 2018 was a great headline set; just her, her band and great music. 

This is basically the same debate as a few months back when a couple of people became weirdly insistent that an End Of The Road headliner needed singalong anthems and big spectacle, when a look at any EOTR lineup reveals they're in the minority. King Krule is hardly pyro and hands in the air either but nobody's arguing he, with fewer sales than Sleaford Mods and similar sized venue bookings, "isn't a headliner". People in 2019 were insistent that Michael Kiwanuka was the wrong booking as headliner when his set won actual awards and kicked off a year for him that ended with a Mercury Prize.

• Like 1

I'm quite open minded about headliners I think but do feel they should be a big act or a rare act or an act with a bit of magic or an act with a back catalogue of great songs or an act that can really put on a show.

I don't think either SM or King Krule really fall into that category, nor Mac De Marco a few years back. Did think Michael Kiwanuka, Big Thief and Feist were fair enough on the other hand.

Appreciate it's all personal taste of course.

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

I'm quite open minded about headliners I think but do feel they should be a big act or a rare act or an act with a bit of magic or an act with a back catalogue of great songs or an act that can really put on a show.

Agreed, but unusual year innit. Only way they can put the festival on is booking acts that are the antithesis of that

On 4/14/2021 at 4:53 PM, Brave Sir Robin said:

I've been putting together a big Spotify playlist for End of the Road this year, along the lines of my usual Glastonbury ones. 6 tracks for the headliners, 5 tracks for the bigger acts, 3 for the smaller ones; with a USP that the songs are those each act has played most often at recent live shows, based on Setlist.fm data and (to a larger extent this year) Googling for additional 'as live' or session setlists over the past year or so. The aim is to give the best possible preview of each act's set at the festival.

Give it a follow and that'll give me the impetus to get those last few lines of the poster done:

(And yes I appreciate there is scope for this all to have been a massive waste of time!)

Updating this playlist with all the changes, if you want to give the lineup a proper listen:

Edited by Brave Sir Robin
  • Upvote 6

3 hours ago, Nick07 said:

They headlined Hamnersmith. 
Be no issues. 

That doesn't answer my question.

It was how would they transfer to a festival headline set. When I've seen them you need to get up close and see the singer's expression, mannerisms,  there wasn't much else to see. You could still do that at sit-down theatre, even one as shitty as the one in Hammersmith. 

Not saying they can't make the step up, just wondering what that will look like.

Edited by Declan

Doing my usual investigations from the bottom up and plenty to enjoy, Fortitude Valley (backed by Martha on their lone track) and Willy Tea Taylor already on my "Must See List".

And as always when you look close you see you've missed acts like Anna Meredith, Penelope Isle and Dry Cleaning, which is real variety.  All good.

Pretty pleased with that! Going to be a lot of overlap between GM, EotR and gigs I've got tickets for but that's expected and, if they all go ahead, a nice problem to have!

Of the additions I'm most excited by Tinariwen, Arab Strap, Scalping, Hen Ogledd, Jane Weaver, bdrmm and Kikagaku Moyo. Will be very happy to see Sterolab and Sleaford Mods again too.

55 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Little Simz not headlining is either a very strong or weird booking depending on the way you look at it...

This new album is going to send her to the stratosphere! 

Yeah, I think the reasoning might be that the headliner bookings would likely have been in place before Introvert's release and/or while I've not seen anyone argue against her having a prime slot stylistically it's something of a wildcard for the festival. Also it's being released on that actual weekend so while the hype should be at high pitch its prospects for her stardom won't technically have peaked.

I suppose it also depends on who she's subbing - Krule would have been my guess after the first announcement but with this I'd guess you could only really get away with her before Hot Chip.

Edited by SweepingTheNation
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Yeah, I think the reasoning might be that the headliner bookings would likely have been in place before Introvert's release and/or while I've not seen anyone argue against her having a prime slot stylistically it's something of a wildcard for the festival. Also it's being released on that actual weekend so while the hype should be at high pitch its prospects for her stardom won't technically have peaked.

I suppose it also depends on who she's subbing - Krule would have been my guess after the first announcement but with this I'd guess you could only really get away with her before Hot Chip.

Little Simz-> Hot Chip -> secret Murder Capital set to close out the festival on Sunday please.

9 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Little Simz not headlining is either a very strong or weird booking depending on the way you look at it...

This new album is going to send her to the stratosphere! 

I swear every time I put 6music on they play that new single of hers.  I don't even listen to the station that much, but must have heard that song about 30 times lately.

I like it though!

I wonder whether there's any possibility Thom Yorke could be a secret guest for an acoustic set.

We know he was planning on doing exactly this at APE last year until it got pulled. He's relentless at playing gigs and yet none are booked for this year. And it's only 2 hours from Oxford...

29 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I wonder whether there's any possibility Thom Yorke could be a secret guest for an acoustic set.

We know he was planning on doing exactly this at APE last year until it got pulled. He's relentless at playing gigs and yet none are booked for this year. And it's only 2 hours from Oxford...

It is interesting you say this, as there has been some talk on the Radiohead reddit the past couple of weeks about a Thom/Jonny tour. 

Seems like a company has been set up called Self Help Tapes Touring and the only two affiliates and Thom and Jonny....and then Jonny gets announced for End of the Road.

But I am sure we won't be getting Thom at End of the Road, seems very far fetched although it would be amazing.

2 minutes ago, Sean1234321 said:

It is interesting you say this, as there has been some talk on the Radiohead reddit the past couple of weeks about a Thom/Jonny tour. 

Seems like a company has been set up called Self Help Tapes Touring and the only two affiliates and Thom and Jonny....and then Jonny gets announced for End of the Road.

But I am sure we won't be getting Thom at End of the Road, seems very far fetched although it would be amazing.

Good intel!

I don't know if he'll be at EOTR but I am absolutely convinced Thom Yorke will pop up somewhere before the year is out and EOTR is as good a fit as any (even more reason as Jonny is there).

14 minutes ago, Sean1234321 said:

If EOTR ever got Thom Yorke they would surely want to announce it, and he would be a headliner.

That would be a dream.

He played a secret last minute set at Latitude. It's not impossible, especially in a Covid year where acts may be wary of committing upfront.

Also potentially a few quid has been saved from new bookings, especially with Pixies out.

15 hours ago, Declan said:

That doesn't answer my question.

It was how would they transfer to a festival headline set. When I've seen them you need to get up close and see the singer's expression, mannerisms,  there wasn't much else to see. You could still do that at sit-down theatre, even one as shitty as the one in Hammersmith. 

Not saying they can't make the step up, just wondering what that will look like.

I think the normal festival approach would be a big screen close-up of said singers gurning face 😉 EOTR have used big screens on the Woods Stage before but I haven't seen them do it with a live camera feed yet. Still, this is a year of change.

I was at Latitude that year....I heard about Thom's secret set and left Portishead early in the hope of seeing him. 

Never managed to as the queue was too big, and I missed him coming out during Portishead as a surprise guest too because of it 😆

Complete fail that one.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sean1234321 said:

I was at Latitude that year....I heard about Thom's secret set and left Portishead early in the hope of seeing him. 

Never managed to as the queue was too big, and I missed him coming out during Portishead as a surprise guest too because of it 😆

Complete fail that one.

Not sure how you managed that! Both were excellent