2020 Line-up Thread

RustySpanner

You're totally right on Gorillaz, I had it in my head they'd booked some surprisingly small dates for their last tour but must have imagined it. 

And with you on Foals.

I do think Supergrass are so much more than a heritage britpop act. Their first two albums are stunning. Also don't think it should be held against them that they're playing some naff venues these days.

On subject of old acts, hope Sice Boo & The Radleys (ie The Boo Radleys minus Martin Carr) can join the lineup.

PJ Harvey hasn't played a concert in 4 years and isn't touring so seems ambitious (though would love it!).

Got nothing against Sleaford Mods but they'll never feel like a suitable headliner act to me.

Wouldn't be surprised if they get the nod though. I'd guess Stereolab, Big Thief, Sleaford Mods for headliners.

Think the lineup will generally be poor by EOTR standards but I'll be thrilled just to be there.

While I get they're big for the festival, are people really that fussed if Pixies aren't there? They've been reunited for almost 20 years now, have played nearly every UK festival, toured multiple times and imo it's really not the same without Kim. I've also found them super variable live too.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, robith said:

While I get they're big for the festival, are people really that fussed if Pixies aren't there? They've been reunited for almost 20 years now, have played nearly every UK festival, toured multiple times and imo it's really not the same without Kim. I've also found them super variable live too.

And at the risk of getting shot down in flames, I didn't think that the last album was very good.

29 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

And at the risk of getting shot down in flames, I didn't think that the last album was very good.

I have to confess I didnt even bother listening to it, surely no good could come from it haha

I didn't think the latest album was all that bad, better than expected to be honest.

I still really hope they play. Despite reforming ages ago, I still haven't actually seen them live and the thought of singing along to Debaser et Al, is something I'm still really looking forward to.

6 hours ago, shoebox said:

I still really hope they play. Despite reforming ages ago, I still haven't actually seen them live and the thought of singing along to Debaser et Al, is something I'm still really looking forward to.

This is my thought too - among my absolute favourite acts they're one of very few I haven't seen live and feasibly still could. But if the deciding factor is not having a European festival cycle I don't doubt they'll be back for 2022.

• Like 1

If anyone wants an advance on the acts leaving but not their replacements, I just went on for a glance and it seems that the departing acts are now down the page and below what you'd expect to be the lineup. Those presumably departed acts being:

Pixies, Big Thief, Bright Eyes, Perfume Genius, Aldous Harding, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, Andy Shauf, Archie Bronson Outfit, Creep Show, Julianna Barwick, Charley Crockett, Buck Meek, Monophonics, Frances Quinlan, Vagabon, Divide and Dissolve, Kate Bollinger and Apollo Ghosts.

Pretty much exactly what you'd expect really. A couple of major non-UK acts prevailing like Whitney and Tune-Yards staying (both already with UK festival dates around the time) among others but most leaving.

Edited by dentalplan
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Nick07 said:

The lineup could be really poor 

If those acts are the only ones leaving then over 80% of the lineup is the same. So unless you thought it was already poor, it should be fine.

Not that I'd be annoyed if people think it's poor while I am strongly considering a ticket.

Edited by dentalplan

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

If those acts are the only ones leaving then over 80% of the lineup is the same. So unless you thought it was already poor, it should be fine.

Not that I'd be annoyed if people think it's poor while I am strongly considering a ticket.

That is the majority of the headliners / co headliners tho. 

It is only a guess though and wouldn't read too much into it. Will just wait until it is official.

32 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It's four of the six biggest names on the announced bill, and the only headliner left is one that's looking increasingly un-headliner-like given how much his album quickly faded from view. (Though isn't Aldous Harding based in Cardiff? Archie Bronson Outfit are British too but they haven't released anything in years so maybe they just changed their minds. Possible Creep Show pulled out because John Grant is concentrating in his own new album)

As for headliners, for reasons that anyone who knows them will know I doubt they'd have Sleaford Mods *and* Idles - the latter seem to not want to headline festivals too, and they have their own big gig over that weekend they wouldn't want to distract from.

Edited by SweepingTheNation

Don't overlook by the way that Green Man are (per a tweet reply last Friday) still planning on going ahead and are promising "news" maybe this week. They'll probably lose a couple of headliners and be likely looking in much the same kind of pool for acts.

A while ago I made a list of non-British acts, so here's a list of those that aren't on the potential withdrawl list above, of which there's so many I can't believe those above are the only ones who wouldn't come. American unless stated:

Whitney, Tune-Yards, Songhoy Blues (Mali), Les Amazones d’Afrique (Mali), Les Filles De Illighadad (Niger), Alice Boman (Sweden), The Goon Sax (Australia), Marie Davidson & L’œil Nu (Canada), Mike Polizze, Ahmed Fakroun (Libya), Margaret Glaspy, Itasca, Vagabon, Tenesha The Wordsmith, Star Feminine Band (Benin), Skullcrusher, Jeffrey Martin, Jake Xerxes Fussell, Pan Amsterdam, Elijah Wolf, Disq, Zulu Zulu (Spain), Sofia Wolfson, Ian Noe, David Thomas Broughton (Japan-based), Pat T Smith, Willy Tea Taylor, Marlaena Moore (Canada) 

(Dana Gavanski is a Canadian who lives in London)

Edited by SweepingTheNation

9 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

It's four of the six biggest names on the announced bill, and the only headliner left is one that's looking increasingly un-headliner-like given how much his album quickly faded from view. (Though isn't Aldous Harding based in Cardiff? Archie Bronson Outfit are British too but they haven't released anything in years so maybe they just changed their minds. Possible Creep Show pulled out because John Grant is concentrating in his own new album)

As for headliners, for reasons that anyone who knows them will know I doubt they'd have Sleaford Mods *and* Idles - the latter seem to not want to headline festivals too, and they have their own big gig over that weekend they wouldn't want to distract from.

I mean yeah, no shit, but it doesn't strike me as a festival that is made or broken by the headliners. Given that the headliners are generally fairly small acts, I don't see why it would be the case. That fact also makes it easier to replace them (like how Angel Olsen was replaced with Perfume Genius and shuffled with Big Thief).

Anyway, yeah it's a shame that those acts won't be there but as has been said countless times, it's a festival, it might be going ahead despite most others dropping off the calendar and doing the best it can in the circumstances. But I'm sure they will actually be able to get some friends of the festival to drop in at short notice.

I didn't know Aldous Harding was based in Wales now. That is a mighty shame if she's not playing but not because she's trapped in NZ.

17 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Don't overlook by the way that Green Man are (per a tweet reply last Friday) still planning on going ahead and are promising "news" maybe this week. They'll probably lose a couple of headliners and be likely looking in much the same kind of pool for acts.

A while ago I made a list of non-British acts, so here's a list of those that aren't on the potential withdrawl list above, of which there's so many I can't believe those above are the only ones who wouldn't come. American unless stated:

Whitney, Tune-Yards, Songhoy Blues (Mali), Les Amazones d’Afrique (Mali), Les Filles De Illighadad (Niger), Alice Boman (Sweden), The Goon Sax (Australia), Marie Davidson & L’œil Nu (Canada), Mike Polizze, Ahmed Fakroun (Libya), Margaret Glaspy, Itasca, Vagabon, Tenesha The Wordsmith, Star Feminine Band (Benin), Skullcrusher, Jeffrey Martin, Jake Xerxes Fussell, Pan Amsterdam, Elijah Wolf, Disq, Zulu Zulu (Spain), Sofia Wolfson, Ian Noe, David Thomas Broughton (Japan-based), Pat T Smith, Willy Tea Taylor, Marlaena Moore (Canada) 

(Dana Gavanski is a Canadian who lives in London)

Right about some of these. I had a ticket to see Disq but they cancelled the show rather than postponing it, so them popping up here and not doing their album tour seems a little strange. On the other hand, I don't suppose every non-UK act that does this festival pads it out with extra dates so there must be some that just fly in and out and won't have to factor it into a run of shows like the big acts do.

I would guess it'll be tomorrow that it's announced anyway.

On 5/1/2021 at 9:27 PM, xxialac said:

I do think Supergrass are so much more than a heritage britpop act. Their first two albums are stunning. Also don't think it should be held against them that they're playing some naff venues these days.

Thats so true. Last band I saw last year before it all came crashing down. The third album is also pretty special. That puts them about two and a half decent albums up on some of the indie tripe you see on the various festival line ups

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dentalplan said:

If anyone wants an advance on the acts leaving but not their replacements, I just went on for a glance and it seems that the departing acts are now down the page and below what you'd expect to be the lineup. Those presumably departed acts being:

Pixies, Big Thief, Bright Eyes, Perfume Genius, Aldous Harding, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, Andy Shauf, Archie Bronson Outfit, Creep Show, Julianna Barwick, Charley Crockett, Buck Meek, Monophonics, Frances Quinlan, Vagabon, Divide and Dissolve, Kate Bollinger and Apollo Ghosts.

Pretty much exactly what you'd expect really. A couple of major non-UK acts prevailing like Whitney and Tune-Yards staying (both already with UK festival dates around the time) among others but most leaving.

4 of the 5 acts I had down as my must sees are now gone.

Understandable but still a bodyblow...