2020 Line-up Thread

RustySpanner

16 hours ago, Mardy said:

Yeah, my thoughts on this, for what it's worth. 50/50 as to whether it goes ahead, but if it does I imagine a very UK based lineup given problems with red list/travel corridors/quarantining etc. It's not just flying into the UK, but the rest of the European tour these bands will have lined up to justify coming over. 

However, I don't see that as a huge problem in terms of them booking people. Plenty of UK-based bands/acts itching to get out and play live again, they've been sitting on their arses for well over a year and no doubt need to play and need the cash; looking at the Wide Awake festival, the Manchester Psych etc there's enough to knock together a good enough lineup. Plus there are 'friends of the festival' (dread phrase) who are touring in the Autumn who I'm sure would be amenable to a phone call, e.g Laura Marling

British Sea Power and The Wave Pictures for headliners!

On 4/21/2021 at 10:34 AM, Sean1234321 said:

Where did you hear this? There is nothing on their social media about it, in fact they've even just posted that they're announcing more artists soon.

I was surprised when they pushed the festival back one week though, to just after June 21st. Not exactly leaving much wiggle room there in case Boris has to push that date back at all (which would not surprise me one bit).

It appeared as a formal announcement on either the BD Facebook webpage, or the BD Attendees Group page, I can't remember which. Later, I responded to a tweet from BD liking a post from someone scheduled to play BD by asking why they were posting in this manner when they'd just announced the cancellation of their festival. The announcement had by then disappeared, they're trying to work out how and why someone was able to get administrator privileges and put up the announcement, I've been assured the festival is still going ahead, and the buskers of Tunbridge Wells have had their moment in the sum restored. Temporarily, at least. 

1 minute ago, Justiceforcedave said:

2000 trees now postponed 😬

‘Hundreds of festivals have been asking for months for a Government backed insurance policy allowing us to confidently host events this year. We were hopeful that this insurance would be in place by now. ‘Although they’ve provided a similar scheme for film & TV, the Government have completely let the live music industry down by refusing to back a simple insurance policy. The obvious concern is that there may still be delays or changes to the COVID restrictions at the last minute. Without this vital COVID cancellation insurance, going ahead with this year’s event would simply be a huge financial risk, potentially jeopardising our long-term survival.'

Tramlines, which is only two weeks later and owned by a "live entertainment platform" backed by an equity group, just announced their full bill. Clearly there's differing levels of insurance concern. (I'm aware that 2000 Trees is also claiming most of the top end of its lineup pulled out, which given only a couple of them weren't UK-based seems suspicious. Also FWIW Green Man is still claiming they'll be announcing their bill in the coming weeks)

Edited by SweepingTheNation

The skeptic in me wonders if some of these festivals who are putting tickets on sale now are thinking that (if their big acts cancel) they'll get some rollover monies to keep them floating until next year.

Festivals like 2000trees I'm sure are cancelling because of large amounts of their acts not making it over.... obvs the insurance doesn't help matters and it's beneficial for all festivals to throw their weight behind that issue even if that wasn't the main motivation for delaying.

I'm still not feeling good about EOTR though. Why would they take a gamble that many other festivals of similar size aren't?

Edited by Justiceforcedave

24 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

The skeptic in me wonders if some of these festivals who are putting tickets on sale now are thinking that (if their big acts cancel) they'll get some rollover monies to keep them floating until next year.

Festivals like 2000trees I'm sure are cancelling because of large amounts of their acts not making it over.... obvs the insurance doesn't help matters and it's beneficial for all festivals to throw their weight behind that issue even if that wasn't the main motivation for delaying.

I'm still not feeling good about EOTR though. Why would they take a gamble that many other festivals of similar size aren't?

Correct me if I'm wrong but the ones that have cancelled I believe are either 

- earlier in the season (more likely to be cancelled)
- much bigger (ditto)

8 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but the ones that have cancelled I believe are either 

- earlier in the season (more likely to be cancelled)
- much bigger (ditto)

Bearded Theory, which had already moved to the week after EOTR, cancelled two weeks ago.

It seems the difference is, inevitably, financial backing and the circumstances of the promoters. Literally hours after 2000 Trees postponed Tramlines, which is double the capacity, announced its full bill for two weeks later. There's an enormous capacity difference between the two but Boomtown Fair cancelled three days before Doune The Rabbit Hole confirmed, both set for the same August weekend (and of course R&L two weeks later just announced more acts) Maybe this is where EOTR, who are currently advertising for woodland artists, getting a second Cultural Recovery Fund payment is key?

Edited by SweepingTheNation

39 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Bearded Theory, which had already moved to the week after EOTR, cancelled two weeks ago.

It seems the difference is, inevitably, financial backing and the circumstances of the promoters. Literally hours after 2000 Trees postponed Tramlines, which is double the capacity, announced its full bill for two weeks later. There's an enormous capacity difference between the two but Boomtown Fair cancelled three days before Doune The Rabbit Hole confirmed, both set for the same August weekend (and of course R&L two weeks later just announced more acts) Maybe this is where EOTR, who are currently advertising for woodland artists, getting a second Cultural Recovery Fund payment is key?

All good points. 

I think Boomtown falls into the too big, therefore too much at stake category.

Another poster also wrote this on Bearded Theory "Bearded is run not for profit, by people who have full time jobs and can not be compared to the big corporate events or even the smaller ones that now have to operate this year or face bankruptcy as they have spent all the ticket money etc"

"As you can imagine, the past few months have been rather interesting to navigate but we’re still busy getting ready to welcome you all to End of The Road in September - albeit with some changes and additions to the line-up. We’re really excited to share more of that news with you next week."

I wouldn't call this update good news but it's not bad news at least!

Just now, SweepingTheNation said:

Although this also appears to be because of major roadworks and renovations on the route that have been postponed to autumn.

And "The Long Road" is an Americana/Nashville festival so couldn't really sub these non transatlantic crossing acts as EOTR can.

Still only cautious about it going ahead but hope hasn't died yet.

36 minutes ago, xxialac said:

"As you can imagine, the past few months have been rather interesting to navigate but we’re still busy getting ready to welcome you all to End of The Road in September - albeit with some changes and additions to the line-up. We’re really excited to share more of that news with you next week."

I wouldn't call this update good news but it's not bad news at least!

I'm expecting the USA based acts to go but I trust that the replacements will be perfectly fine and hey, whoever is playing, it will be music in a field.

• Like 1