2020 Line-up Thread

RustySpanner

The only really EOTR-like bands on there are either already playing (Whitney, Tune-Yards) or high up on the Green Man bill (Caribou, Nadine Shah)  That a festival is still announcing US acts is a boon, though, especially with their own vaccination program stepping up and talk of a travel corridor being established in the summer, but then it's the old issue of whether there'll be a European circuit to make it worth their full while.

As posted by someone in one of the Glastonbury sub-forums, the Moseley Folk Festival takes place on the same weekend as EOTR. I'd fully expect Richard Hawley to be re-added to the EOTR line-up now. Also Gruff Rhys would be a good fit. I think Dana Gavanski, Katy J Pearson  and Keeley Forsyth are already on the lineup. 

4D0D707E-DDA2-4AD6-8E16-B9C14D2FD1CA.thumb.jpeg.cd5f94504ef38e363051cc3820a38b27.jpeg.jpg

Wonder if Idles are on Simon's shortlist for potential stand-in headliners? They're playing a big home town show later that same day, hence the afternoon slot, but I think the Friday is when King Krule is headlining.

Although it shouldn't be overlooked that there's a few overseas bands on that lineup, including at least two North Americans.

Reading in the thread for Bearded Theory, about an independent festival already moved to the week after EOTR, about ticket sales being paused and an announcement expected tomorrow which most seem to believe will be it being scrapped for the year to preserve their overheads given it has no full time employees... I wonder why Simon applied for and got a second Culture Recovery Fund grant? Was it to cover potential losses so that any necessary last minute postponement is covered, with festival insurance (so far) not being granted, but wanting to keep hope of the green light going for as long as possible? Thinking also of Green Man two weeks before still not announcing their bill but so far saying they're as confident as they can be of it going ahead, while festivals in July with organised backing are still announcing their line-ups.

I've been putting together a big Spotify playlist for End of the Road this year, along the lines of my usual Glastonbury ones. 6 tracks for the headliners, 5 tracks for the bigger acts, 3 for the smaller ones; with a USP that the songs are those each act has played most often at recent live shows, based on Setlist.fm data and (to a larger extent this year) Googling for additional 'as live' or session setlists over the past year or so. The aim is to give the best possible preview of each act's set at the festival.

Give it a follow and that'll give me the impetus to get those last few lines of the poster done:

(And yes I appreciate there is scope for this all to have been a massive waste of time!)

Edited by Brave Sir Robin
  • Upvote 4

On 4/14/2021 at 4:53 PM, Brave Sir Robin said:

I've been putting together a big Spotify playlist for End of the Road this year, along the lines of my usual Glastonbury ones. 6 tracks for the headliners, 5 tracks for the bigger acts, 3 for the smaller ones; with a USP that the songs are those each act has played most often at recent live shows, based on Setlist.fm data and (to a larger extent this year) Googling for additional 'as live' or session setlists over the past year or so. The aim is to give the best possible preview of each act's set at the festival.

Give it a follow and that'll give me the impetus to get those last few lines of the poster done:

(And yes I appreciate there is scope for this all to have been a massive waste of time!)

Thanks for this, it’s my first EOTR and I really think it will be on.

17 hours ago, Proposition Joe said:

Thanks for this, it’s my first EOTR and I really think it will be on.

Let's hope so, eh! Certainly reasons for optimism at the moment.

Just researched and added Chubby & The Gang to the playlist. Wow! If you've ever enjoyed 70s punk but thought it maybe a little slow, these are the band for you.

18 hours ago, RedRockRick said:

...and Black Deer have just announced they've cancelled, though as they were scheduled for the end of June, I suppose you can only ask why it took so long. Now not sure whether to tear up, rollover or cash in my tickets. 

Where did you hear this? There is nothing on their social media about it, in fact they've even just posted that they're announcing more artists soon.

I was surprised when they pushed the festival back one week though, to just after June 21st. Not exactly leaving much wiggle room there in case Boris has to push that date back at all (which would not surprise me one bit).

4 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

So Tinariwen are still planning to be in the country on EOTR weekend.

They were announced for Wide Awake anyway. Between whats been announced so far, Manchester and Wide Awake they can pull a great lineup together there at short notice you would hope.

https://www.festicket.com/festivals/wide-awake-festival/

Yeah, my thoughts on this, for what it's worth. 50/50 as to whether it goes ahead, but if it does I imagine a very UK based lineup given problems with red list/travel corridors/quarantining etc. It's not just flying into the UK, but the rest of the European tour these bands will have lined up to justify coming over. 

However, I don't see that as a huge problem in terms of them booking people. Plenty of UK-based bands/acts itching to get out and play live again, they've been sitting on their arses for well over a year and no doubt need to play and need the cash; looking at the Wide Awake festival, the Manchester Psych etc there's enough to knock together a good enough lineup. Plus there are 'friends of the festival' (dread phrase) who are touring in the Autumn who I'm sure would be amenable to a phone call, e.g Laura Marling