2020 Line-up Thread

RustySpanner

4 hours ago, xxialac said:

I thought Caribou could maybe do both as an exception this year.

Imagine more band overlap than ever before must be inevitable...

Not as headliner, though, given that (and the rest of the top end of the bill) is the thing you're supposedly primarily selling the festival on and the two are perceived as going for the same audience as it is. Surely there'd be enough to go round without that much overlap should the Americans be unavailable.

I'd also question whether it's possible in these circumstances, as while Dan's based in London I think the rest of his live band are Canadian.

Edited by SweepingTheNation

3 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Not as headliner, though, given that (and the rest of the top end of the bill) is the thing you're supposedly primarily selling the festival on and the two are perceived as going for the same audience as it is. Surely there'd be enough to go round without that much overlap should the Americans be unavailable.

I'd also question whether it's possible in these circumstances, as while Dan's based in London I think the rest of his live band are Canadian.

They were announced today for a European festival so he must have a band together over here.

In any other year, I'd say no chance but I think the normal rules don't apply this year and he could headline both.

If we're looking at a lot of crossover between GM and EotR, then I think some with tickets for both might be tempted to ask to roll tickets over for one of them. I'd consider it. Loads to happen before then, but presumably that'll be an option should they're be significant lineup changes. I know the Ts&Cs will have it covered, but it's not like they'd have any trouble selling an extra few tickets this year. 

On 3/17/2021 at 2:53 PM, Justiceforcedave said:

Anyone got any top tips for bands further down the lineup?

There's a huuuuuge amount of depth there. I reckon I've seen 30 or so on there and of those the less obvious ones to check out would be Dry Cleaning, Lazarus Kane, Penelope Isles, PVA, Modern Nature, Katy J Pearson, Disq, Just Mustard, Dana Gavanski, W.H. Lung and Vanishing Twin. The best new discoveries for me so far from this line-up/this gig-less winter would be Melin Melyn, Drug Store Romeos, Skullcrusher and Yard Act.

As the previous poster said, Gwenno and Georgia Ellery should be great. Georgia is the violinist in Black Country, New Road and the lyricist with Jockstrap. William Doyle used to be East India Youth.

Hope that helps a bit! 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Fareham Grecian said:

Finishes 4 weeks before EotR, that’s all. Obvs I really hope you are right, but why does who runs it make a difference? It’s not so different to EotR Shirley? 

It starts 5 weeks before EOTR. That's 25% more time.

And I do think privately run events are more intrinsically motivated to do everything they can to go ahead than council events. 

I had a dream last night that I woke up on a pile of coats at the Woods Stage. It was dark and the stage lights were on, but I couldn't tell who was playing. Good size crowd too. Therefore I conclude that it's happening!

2 hours ago, paulwa said:

I had a dream last night that I woke up on a pile of coats at the Woods Stage. It was dark and the stage lights were on, but I couldn't tell who was playing. Good size crowd too. Therefore I conclude that it's happening!

This definitely proves it's going ahead.
Can I check if the Tipi and Big Top are going to be open as normal?

10 hours ago, scattered_screens said:

Unlikely but I'd love them to play their set this year and play whatever this new album is in full: https://www.thelineofbestfit.com/news/latest-news/buck-meek-reveals-big-thiefs-fifth-album-is-pretty-much-done

Good grief do they ever sleep !  Great news though; last gig I saw was Big Thief in Manchester last year, better than ever.

On 3/19/2021 at 9:04 AM, xxialac said:

And I do think privately run events are more intrinsically motivated to do everything they can to go ahead than council events. 

This is kind of what I was getting at, that if a council-run festival is being postponed at a date when other festivals around it are going ahead that feels more to do with the priorities of that organisation. That said, it does feel like every festival from about August bank holiday onwards is keenly announcing its bill (albeit a lot pushed forward from original dates at the start of summer so they'd already have acts in place) while most of those in July and early to mid August are still hanging fire.