2020 Line-up Thread

RustySpanner

On 3/1/2021 at 5:41 PM, RedRockRick said:

I have tickets for two festivals, one at each end of the summer: Black Deer and EOTR.

On the other hand, EOTR is at the right end of the summer and has more than two months more for matters to resolve themselves. There is not the imbalance with overseas acts, and where there are any such acts and replacements are needed, I'm confident that any such will be at the very least interesting; or, as replacements, The Wave Pictures can play an extended 4 hour set.

So I'm not sure that the BD gamble will come off, but in the same way I don't think that EOTR will be a gamble, I don't think it's at all over-optimistic to expect it to happen, and I look forward to the time I can stop recreating the home-to- Larmer Tree trip on google streetview, and do the real thing.

Do you still think EOTR will go ahead given the news yesterday?

I've dropped from 60% positive to 25% with the news of the furlough scheme being extended til September.

I just don't see non-socially distanced large events being allowed.  Perhaps 1,000 or even 5,000 but events of 10,000 and above could well be seen as too high risk. 

That said, maybe testing could come to the rescue and I want to believe...

9 hours ago, xxialac said:

I've dropped from 60% positive to 25% with the news of the furlough scheme being extended til September.

I just don't see non-socially distanced large events being allowed.  Perhaps 1,000 or even 5,000 but events of 10,000 and above could well be seen as too high risk. 

I was discussing this with my partner, he thinks furlough is extended that long as some businesses like manufacturing won't "pick up" right away, so they may still need to furlough staff.

9 hours ago, xxialac said:

I don't think furlough extension and big event restrictions are related in pretty much any way. Apart from June 21st being an "at the earliest" date, the purpose of extending past June is to make sure businesses aren't plunged straight back into full costs and outlay at a time when trade naturally dips over the summer and consumers may not immediately be fully ready for restarting normality - besides which the amount employers would be expected to contribute increases in July and again in August. If the Government was warning against large events they'd have done so more explicitly by now, but it seems they're being cautious about going further with that - Neighbourhood Weekender, the festival Ian Brown pulled out of, issued a statement yesterday essentially saying despite his claim they can't provide any guidance on safety or likelihood because they won't know until maybe June itself due mostly to the roadmap and the findings of the DCMS test events in April.

14 hours ago, xxialac said:

I too don't think the furlough scheme extension is material. What is material is that restrictions are properly observed in the next few months so that the four SAGE forecasts - responding to f**kwit Johnson's timetable scenario - of another lockdown can be avoided, the vaccine rollout continues to be implemented successfully, and we're not overwhelmed by any fresh Ecuadorian/Borneo/Glamorgan etc. variants, and that, if necessary, some acceptable passport or certification scheme is produced. If any festival is positioned to take place, and I have to feel positive about this, then EOTR is certainly in a better position than most to do so. Me, I'm jab-happy, and my tent is polished.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Callum_96 said:

Hahaha yes of course!! No queue cutting here, forming a very British queue 

Would love to join this queue too.

Been very depressing that every UK festival has been selling out. Like I really wanna celebrate the end of this shit. - , but even stuff like boomtown, truck etc that have potential are  selling out before the line up and before i can save enough money. - 

i really wanted to do a proper festival. I love the end of the road lineup this year 😞

41 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Richard Hawley, who was in the 2020 announcement but not 2021, has just announced a date in Halifax on Saturday September 4th (with John Grant supporting, but we know he's at EOTR with Creep Show)

Intersting. Hawley could be added yet then. I wonder what the chances are of John Grant playing a solo set too, seeing as his solo tour begins on Monday 6th Sep.

3 hours ago, Lester_Freamon said:

Intersting. Hawley could be added yet then. I wonder what the chances are of John Grant playing a solo set too, seeing as his solo tour begins on Monday 6th Sep.

I hope so. I love his solo stuff but didn't really enjoy Creep Show.

I don't know if this really means anything and it's risky to assume everyone is in the same situational boat, but at the same time as a lot of announcements seem to be being made for the week(s) before EOTR the 10,000 capacity Bearded Theory, which is scheduled for the week after, took tickets off sale last Thursday "until a decision is made to host the 2021 festival on April 9th", even though surely the situation/outlook is going to be no different then than it is now.

3 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

I don't know if this really means anything and it's risky to assume everyone is in the same situational boat, but at the same time as a lot of announcements seem to be being made for the week(s) before EOTR the 10,000 capacity Bearded Theory, which is scheduled for the week after, took tickets off sale last Thursday "until a decision is made to host the 2021 festival on April 9th", even though surely the situation/outlook is going to be no different then than it is now.

By April 9th (specifically, 4 days before that) the government are due to give the first full update on the unlock roadmap and confirm that we're moving to the next stage on schedule (or not) - so how it appears to us may be no different, but should at least be able to gauge something of how it appears to the people making the decisions.

6 minutes ago, xxialac said:

At first glance, every US based band has now gone from the original Lowlands poster.

Expect similar at EOTR sadly...

Yeah I expect that a lot (or all?) US based acts won't make it over...

However, UK based bands/artists will surely be pretty desperate to play shows, so hopefully the organisers will be able to book some great replacements from over here!

6 hours ago, xxialac said:

At first glance, every US based band has now gone from the original Lowlands poster.

Expect similar at EOTR sadly...

Followed by Womad (late July) too, who say they are putting together a mainly UK-based lineup, but hoping they'll be able to add some international bands once restrictions ease: https://womad.co.uk/the-roadmap-to-womad-2021/