2020 Line-up Thread

RustySpanner

46 minutes ago, RedRockRick said:

I have tickets for two festivals, one at each end of the summer: Black Deer and EOTR.

BD was originally slated to take place on 18/19/20th June, thus before the supposed restriction removal date, so they've moved it to a week later. Rightly or wrongly, I sort of think this is something of a desperation move as financially they can't afford for the festival not to go ahead. The glaring problem of course is that SAGE have basically said the 21st June date should simply be regarded as a "no earlier" than date, whereas BD, optimistically and naively assuming that Johnson's utterances have any connection either with accuracy or truth, have gambled upon it being set in stone. As to the line-up itself, it's semi-disappeared from the festival website. As it stood, it was a seriously impressive and attractive line-up, but I would have said at least 75% of that line-up was overseas, rising probably to at least 95% of the headliners proper. Now, I can't see any of them being remotely able to travel, whether with the revised dates or otherwise. The organisers say they're actively re-working the line-up with new and current artists: whatever, it will not be remotely at the level of the festival as originally billed. I suspect the caliber of any replacements will inevitably be disappointing and I fear the streets of Tunbridge Wells will be somewhat empty of buskers that weekend. Realistically, BD should have rolled over for another year, but for the organisers I get that that would not have been, well, realistic.

On the other hand, EOTR is at the right end of the summer and has more than two months more for matters to resolve themselves. There is not the imbalance with overseas acts, and where there are any such acts and replacements are needed, I'm confident that any such will be at the very least interesting; or, as replacements, The Wave Pictures can play an extended 4 hour set.

So I'm not sure that the BD gamble will come off, but in the same way I don't think that EOTR will be a gamble, I don't think it's at all over-optimistic to expect it to happen, and I look forward to the time I can stop recreating the home-to- Larmer Tree trip on google streetview, and do the real thing.

Broadly agree with you.

Only note of caution is lots of people (me included) thought last year that EOTR being right at the end of the Summer would be one of the few festivals to go ahead. 

And look how that turned out!

6 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Broadly agree with you.

Only note of caution is lots of people (me included) thought last year that EOTR being right at the end of the Summer would be one of the few festivals to go ahead. 

And look how that turned out!

Although in fairness last year nobody really knew the way out, having only had the experience of low-level pandemics like swine flu, but by summer we were all aware that vaccination was the only way out, whereas we now have that and a likelihood of it being at least semi-completed in plenty of time (literally half a year, EOTR is 26 weeks from this Thursday) and a corresponding framework for the removal of restrictions.

Wasn't Van Morrison playing Black Deer? Maybe he'll try and perform regardless of whether it's on or not.

4 hours ago, Guy Incognito said:

Still cant believe I forgot to buy a ticket for this. Gonna be praying to the twickets Gods for the next few months.

I was in that boat with Twickets for EotR a couple of years ago. Despite having notifications set and immediately clicking when my phone pinged, they were always gone. When they became more regular (a few a day), I took a day off and manually refreshed the Twickets page until I got one. I'd recommend that approach if you're as desperate as I was!

Edited by JHad

1 hour ago, JHad said:

I was in that boat with Twickets for EotR a couple of years ago. Despite having notifications set and immediately clicking when my phone pinged, they were always gone. When they became more regular (a few a day), I took a day off and manually refreshed the Twickets page until I got one. I'd recommend that approach if you're as desperate as I was!

I'm optimistic that I'll get one, but this doesn't exactly fill me with confidence! Thanks for the heads up though. 

7 hours ago, Guy Incognito said:

I'm optimistic that I'll get one, but this doesn't exactly fill me with confidence! Thanks for the heads up though. 

The twickets route nearly killed me for Green Man but I did get one in the end. You need a lot of patience. One thing to bear in mind is that if you’re there right when the ticket gets uploaded but it says it’s gone already, is that the person who has somehow got there ahead of you may not go through with it. I got mine when it initially said it had gone as I kept refreshing for a few minutes and it came back. 

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Does anyone have a list of North American acts? Maybe we could build one.

Be good not to look forward to seeing them only to have my hopes dashed.

From the headliners (gulp) Pixies, Big Thief, Bright Eyes.

Who else?

Extending it to non-Brits: Perfume Genius, Whitney, Tune-Yards, Songhoy Blues, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, Andy Shauf, Les Amazones d’Afrique, Creep Show (I assume, I don't know where John Grant currently lives), Julianna Barwick, Les Filles De Illighadad, Alice Boman, The Goon Sax, Marie Davidson & L’œil Nu, Mike Polizze, Ahmed Fakroun, Charley Crockett, Buck Meek, Margaret Glaspy, Monophonics, Frances Quinlan, Itasca, Vagabon, Dana Gavanski, Tenesha The Wordsmith, Star Feminine Band, Skullcrusher, Jeffrey Martin, Jake Xerxes Fussell, Pan Amsterdam, Elijah Wolf, Divide and Dissolve, Disq, Zulu Zulu, Sofia Wolfson, Ian Noe, David Thomas Broughton (lives in Japan now), Kate Bollinger, Pat T Smith, Willy Tea Taylor and Marlaena Moore.

Actually more upper and mid-level British bands than I'd expected but it'd take a lot from the top end, of the top twelve names on the current bill four (including Cardiff-dwelling New Zealander Aldous Harding) are UK-based.

Edited by SweepingTheNation
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

The twickets route nearly killed me for Green Man but I did get one in the end. You need a lot of patience. One thing to bear in mind is that if you’re there right when the ticket gets uploaded but it says it’s gone already, is that the person who has somehow got there ahead of you may not go through with it. I got mine when it initially said it had gone as I kept refreshing for a few minutes and it came back. 

Noted, thanks! I think the fact that you and the above poster did get them depsite the difficulties is the takeaway here, though if I have to miss out on this year then I won't be too downtrodden. I've done the last 4 and this line up isn't my favourite of the bunch. Nearly all of the acts I'd want to see I've seen before and could likely see elsewhere in the autumn. Perhaps more than the music this year it's just that I want be back at Larmer Tree Gardens having a good time with my mates! 

I'll definitely be scrolling through twickets non-stop though! Not gonna lose hope until the first week of September comes around. 

40 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Extending it to non-Brits: Perfume Genius, Whitney, Tune-Yards, Songhoy Blues, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, Andy Shauf, Les Amazones d’Afrique, Creep Show (I assume, I don't know where John Grant currently lives), Julianna Barwick, Les Filles De Illighadad, Alice Boman, The Goon Sax, Marie Davidson & L’œil Nu, Mike Polizze, Ahmed Fakroun, Charley Crockett, Buck Meek, Margaret Glaspy, Monophonics, Frances Quinlan, Itasca, Vagabon, Dana Gavanski, Tenesha The Wordsmith, Star Feminine Band, Skullcrusher, Jeffrey Martin, Jake Xerxes Fussell, Pan Amsterdam, Elijah Wolf, Divide and Dissolve, Disq, Zulu Zulu, Sofia Wolfson, Ian Noe, David Thomas Broughton (lives in Japan now), Kate Bollinger, Pat T Smith, Willy Tea Taylor and Marlaena Moore.

Actually more upper and mid-level British bands than I'd expected but it'd take a lot from the top end, of the top twelve names on the current bill four (including Cardiff-dwelling New Zealander Aldous Harding) are UK-based.

Absolutely brilliant work.

Though ouch!

I'm going to tell myself none of those acts are playing...and then if any of them do it's a bonus.

Playing around with the line-up, if push came to shove this I think would be a reasonable last minute rejig if they have to replace three of the headliners:

Thursday
Headliner: Public Service Broadcasting (in later stages of working on new album)

Friday
Headliner: King Krule
Subs: Arlo Parks, Little Simz
Garden: Aldous Harding

Saturday
Headliner: Mogwai or Fontaines DC (depending on availability/if Green Man get there first)
Subs: Squid, Black Country New Road
Garden: Richard Hawley (not included in announcement but playing Moseley that weekend)

Sunday
Headliner: Laura Marling
Subs: Richard Dawson, Field Music
Garden: The Comet Is Coming

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Guy Incognito said:

Anyone here every worked at EOTR and if so whats the get up? The usual 3x8hour shifts? I'm thinking that applying to steward might be a good back up incase I don't have any luck with twickets.

The shift options for previous years are shown on this page - I guess it'll be broadly similar this year though maybe not exactly the same as any COVID protocols etc may mean requirements change.

• Upvote 1

On 2/25/2021 at 2:53 PM, The Nal said:

If the reality is anywhere close to the current plan theres a great chance. Bands are itching to play and they could pull it together physically in a few weeks really once the back office work is done. 

We'll be drinking pints of Neck Oil in the sun in September. Mark it down.

I have a sneaky feeling B-town aren't going to be there