2020 Line-up Thread

RustySpanner

On 12/21/2020 at 1:08 PM, xxialac said:

The original decision to hold a Summer festival in September turned out to be absolute genius.

So hard to know if July-timeframe festivals will go ahead but September looks doable. Still more than 9 months to sort out the mess : )

Honestly - and I'm not just saying this because of current events given Pfizer's reassurance - I wish I could share the optimism. Even if the NHS achieves its aim of a million vaccinations a week (which can really only be achieved once the Oxford vaccine is approved, which it hasn't yet), even in the best cast scenario - as in we don't yet know if people who have been vaccinated can still transmit the virus or how long vaccine immunity lasts - that's still going to be well short of any kind of herd immunity by then and before that we have no idea if there's any kind of plan for when participatory event might be given the safety go-ahead, never mind one involving 15,000 people.

And if EOTR 2021 is postponed given the financial hole everyone from government funding pots downwards will be in by then and that Simon has said they really only just have enough money to secure next year I really doubt there'll be a EOTR 2022.

Edited by SweepingTheNation

27 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Simon has said they really only just have enough money to secure next year I really doubt there'll be a EOTR 2022.

When did he say that?

Specifically, was it before or after EOTR was awarded a £250,000 "Cultural Recovery" grant?

On 1/1/2021 at 7:49 PM, Justiceforcedave said:

Just booked ma ticket. I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it!

If there is a festival that can go ahead, it's gotta be this one! My first time too. I've done the last 4 years at Green Man and fancied a change :)

Yeah its defo the one with the best chance. It'll be right down to the wire but if the vax rollout goes as planned it could very well happen. 

• 3 weeks later...

Not the full amount by any means but I've actually swung a bit the other way in the last couple of weeks, primarily because the rollout is happening quicker than was anticipated a couple of weeks ago, never mind months, to the extent there's been talk that the stated target of herd immunity levels of vaccinations by the start of autumn could be achieved with good time to spare. Obviously there's then the issue of how safe having a big event straight afterwards can be, but we don't yet know what thresholds need to be achieved or what else needs to be met before restrictions can be relaxed. I certainly don't think Glastonbury being off is the death knell for everyone, it's 200,000 people and they needed to start building it in March.

On 12/23/2020 at 10:20 PM, incident said:

When did he say that?

Specifically, was it before or after EOTR was awarded a £250,000 "Cultural Recovery" grant?

I know I read the quote but I now can't find it, though it came even when Emily Eavis was suggesting they couldn't afford a second fallow year (though she's since said this isn't the case)

Yeah, Glastonbury has no impact on my thinking. Can't even begin to compare them.

But the new variants and sense this is going to take longer are all bigger negatives than the positive of the speed of the rollout I think.

It feels very hard to call it. I think at some point the govt is going to say  X number of attendees is ok with Y measures taken.

Likely to be round numbers and they might say 5,000 or 10,000, both of which are still not enough. 

We can only live in hope...

There is a decent chance that the Covid numbers in Aug/Sept will be good enough for EOTR to go ahead. The problem is that they have to make a business judgement to proceed or cancel in March/April. I doubt the numbers will have come down enough at that point (Government are already positioning the idea of home schooling continuing past Easter), so I think the risks will simply seem too high to EOTR management at that stage for them to go ahead.

30 minutes ago, paulwa said:

There is a decent chance that the Covid numbers in Aug/Sept will be good enough for EOTR to go ahead. The problem is that they have to make a business judgement to proceed or cancel in March/April. I doubt the numbers will have come down enough at that point (Government are already positioning the idea of home schooling continuing past Easter), so I think the risks will simply seem too high to EOTR management at that stage for them to go ahead.

Fair comment and I fear you may be right - though maybe their 'suppliers' will be more patient than in usual years, as they themselves are desperate to earn again.

On 12/10/2020 at 10:09 AM, SweepingTheNation said:

I know she's a rebooking but does it seem weird to anyone else that Arlo Parks, who is already such a big name before her debut album comes out that she'll be appearing on the New Year Top Of The Pops special, is on the eighth line down?

Number 3 album this week. Part of me hopes that whenever EOTR happens and if she still keeps the date they keep her in her original intended slot so she packs out the Big Top at 4.30pm before Archie Bronson Outfit or something.